Roland RE-20 vs Line 6 DL4

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
User avatar
bigbadbarns
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:33 am
Location: sydney, australia
Contact:

Post by bigbadbarns » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:03 am

One thing to note about looping on the DL-4 - the loops decay over time. Its not a true looper, in that sense. ie- the first loop you record gets gradually quieter and quieter.

I wish that weren't the case. The DL-4 is an incredible pedal. I've never used a pedal and had such instant, varied and awesome results.

But yeah, I have heard that they have some issues.

User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.
Location: stuck in ohio.
Contact:

Post by space6oy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 am

bigbadbarns wrote:One thing to note about looping on the DL-4 - the loops decay over time. Its not a true looper, in that sense. ie- the first loop you record gets gradually quieter and quieter.

I wish that weren't the case. The DL-4 is an incredible pedal. I've never used a pedal and had such instant, varied and awesome results.

But yeah, I have heard that they have some issues.
that only happens if you leave it overdubbing...
i've accidentally left mine powered on before. turn on the amp days later and the loop's still peachy.

edit: just re-read that, did you just mean loops sequentially get quieter as you do overdubs? if so, that's true...doesn't that just happen because of there being a limit on memory? can't just keep recording more and more, have to replace something...
Last edited by space6oy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:06 pm

justinjbrown wrote:I would also like to add that if anyone can point me to some reasonable reviews regarding EH products and their reliability issues I would sure appreciate it before I get to invested in this particular one.

I see the DL4 also has a looper built in....hmmm

Reading, the reviews the the DL4 appears to be atrocious in the reliability department...

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... deler/10/1
you give that link after you mention reasonable reviews? HC reviews are written by clueless tools that chew their own toenails. :lol:

i dont doubt that the DL4 doesnt live long with one of those clods stomping on it. My problem is that (i should have clarified - newer) EH pedals have big gaps in quality control. some sound fine, but of the 5 or so EH pedals I have owned (that were never set on the floor, but left on a rack) all but one introduced lots of noise, 2 had pots that went to h**l, 2 had switches that up and died, and more undesireable c**p.

And yes, they do sound good. the memory man and holy grail sound gold, as does the frequency analyzer, and the sad part is that EH just doesnt give enough of a s**t to implement them in an instrument with some f**k craft involved.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

User avatar
justinjbrown
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:39 pm
Location: iowa city
Contact:

Post by justinjbrown » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:48 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
justinjbrown wrote:I would also like to add that if anyone can point me to some reasonable reviews regarding EH products and their reliability issues I would sure appreciate it before I get to invested in this particular one.

I see the DL4 also has a looper built in....hmmm

Reading, the reviews the the DL4 appears to be atrocious in the reliability department...

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... deler/10/1
you give that link after you mention reasonable reviews? HC reviews are written by clueless tools that chew their own toenails. :lol:

i dont doubt that the DL4 doesnt live long with one of those clods stomping on it. My problem is that (i should have clarified - newer) EH pedals have big gaps in quality control. some sound fine, but of the 5 or so EH pedals I have owned (that were never set on the floor, but left on a rack) all but one introduced lots of noise, 2 had pots that went to h**l, 2 had switches that up and died, and more undesireable c**p.

And yes, they do sound good. the memory man and holy grail sound gold, as does the frequency analyzer, and the sad part is that EH just doesnt give enough of a s**t to implement them in an instrument with some f**k craft involved.
So where may one find reasonable reviews then?
www.opticecho.com/lostChord.html
"subvert normality, destroy, kill ALL hippies..."

User avatar
tallowwaters
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4998
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:11 am
Gear: LC-MS/MS
Location: snake's belly in a wagon rut

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:06 pm

You have to look hard for good reviews. There are quite a few people here with opinions I trust, and MojoPie, those guys have some good ideas, on the front page articles and the forums.

I can give you some tips - if the review contains these things - U (as in you), beatz, taking back sunday, CAPS, 'I play bass...', teh, description of musical genre with slashes (ie, I play in a boodlecore/llamashit/instantdiarrhea core metal band with melodic and shellfish overtones), 'I have played guitar for 25 years...', the phrase 'the shure sm57 sounds good/fine/great', dis (as in 'this') and letter with a z or x in it, anybody from florida is writing the article, if their name is bookended with x's, or if they call themselves 'professional' then the review is being written by a moron.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am

Post by monolith » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:55 am

tallowwaters wrote: I can give you some tips - if the review contains these things - U (as in you), beatz, taking back sunday, CAPS, 'I play bass...', teh, description of musical genre with slashes (ie, I play in a boodlecore/llamashit/instantdiarrhea core metal band with melodic and shellfish overtones), 'I have played guitar for 25 years...', the phrase 'the shure sm57 sounds good/fine/great', dis (as in 'this') and letter with a z or x in it, anybody from florida is writing the article, if their name is bookended with x's, or if they call themselves 'professional' then the review is being written by a moron.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You absolutely nailed it there. Though I'd like to know more about the florida one....

User avatar
premieklovn
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:50 pm
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Post by premieklovn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:49 pm

10+ for the Memory Man Hazarai. So many "secret" functions. And the loop-functions are amazing.

User avatar
redchapterjubilee
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Arden, NC
Contact:

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:07 pm

The Hazarai video certainly piqued my interest. I've been wanting a looper for a long time. Almost everyone I've been in a band with for the past 7 - 8 years has used a DL-4. The Hazarai looked just as easy to use, sounded great and is $30 cheaper than a DL-4. I've only ever had two EH pedals: an American Small Stone I bought new and a Russian Big Muff I "inherited." I hated the Big Muff (sucked tone and volume like crazy) but I've still got the Small Stone.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

kvnvk
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 4:52 am

Post by kvnvk » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:03 pm

I've been quite happy with my EH Memory Man Hazarai, much different character than the old DOD/Digitech PDS/RDS delay/looper units I've used over the past dozen years or so. it has a very smooth quality which I guess is indicative of modern digital delays, but it's a nice contrast to the aforementioned DOD/Digitech devices. of course if the repeat rate is set too high you can end up with an uncontrollable feedback mess depending which mode it is in, and not in a good way either. really about the only drawback I've experienced and it is easily remedied by cutting back on the repeats. I use mine run through reverb on a Sony DPS-V55 for droney ambient loops, and unlike alot of other looping and sampling devices I rarely notice any start/end point clicks or pops. only had it for about two or three months, and hoping I don't run into any of the EH quality control issues mentioned previously. guess time will tell.

User avatar
xibalba
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:24 am
Location: .............
Contact:

Post by xibalba » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:06 pm

my vote goes to the DL-4 its good esp since you can get it at crazy low prices (depending on where and when you look) ive seen em for as low as 150 which is around the price that i sold mine. I went and got an echo pro but i would say the DL-4 for mad tweakability, mass choice of delays ("true" or not there is still a ton). The only thing i disliked is that when you bypass it you have to save the setting in order to recall it once you click the switch again. So if you were on echo or whatever and tweaked it etc then clicked the switch off then clicked it on again it reverts to a standard delay (not sure which) but no settings are saved unless you hold down one of the three preset (save buttons). But thats pretty minor as you can just turn down the mix knob all the way.

User avatar
xibalba
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:24 am
Location: .............
Contact:

Post by xibalba » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:06 pm

forgot the "singer" haha from battles uses one on his voice. pretty sharp stuff.

User avatar
divineaudio
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:32 pm
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria
Location: detroit
Contact:

Post by divineaudio » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:08 am

has anyone used the akai headrush? i have been meaning to try one out for a while now.

Image

eminor9
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:29 am

Post by eminor9 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Boss RE-20 does a much better RE201 emulation than the DL4, but it's all it does.

I particularly like Line6 own creations which are the Sweep echo and Lo-res delay.

I own both pedals and the Echo pro which remains permanently in two of my mixer's aux busses.

Haven't been able to check one out yet but have you considered the Eventide Time Factor ?

User avatar
MarkM
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:26 pm
Location: Northeast Tennessee

Post by MarkM » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:34 pm

I own the Line 6 EchoPro rack, which is the discontinued big brother of the DL4. I absolutely love it. It's stereo and has longer loop memory. I've never understood why it was discontinued, unless no one was buying it. They are going used on Ebay for more than I paid for it brand new.

User avatar
redchapterjubilee
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Arden, NC
Contact:

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:02 pm

I forgot to mention earlier I have the Echo Park, the little brother of the DL-4, in my FX loop. I love that pedal! I'd be looking into the Hazarai, DL-4 or Headrush just as a looper. But I just pulled down a VST looper and I need to mess with that before I blow any coin on anything else.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Post Reply