How do You record all of your synths?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:29 am

Well I have been thinking about it and this is where I am thinking of going at the moment

Get a Mackie 24 8 bus mixer, and get the Motu 24I/O, since that a considerably cheaper route, I see Mackie desks go for 1000 here on a regular basis.

Im just not sure if im going to upgrade to a mac pro or not. Thats my friends is the question.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:53 am

The Mackie 8-Bus EQ is pretty nasty, worse than their current series of mixers. That said, it was used to mix countless records in the 90's, so it can be used. Just make sure you have a play with one before you buy it, so you know what you're getting yourself into.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:03 am

spookyman wrote:My PowerBook died last week, after 8 years of use ! And with that, i lost every programm i had on it.
my powerbook died last september- but it was only the harddrive- with Disk Warrior i recovered the whole thing. unfortunately it died an hour before i was leaving to Thailand for work so i bought a MacBook on my way to the airport.

my primary recording setup: DP running on an iMac connected to a MOTU 896, a MOTU 828 and a 16 channel Mackie mixer. im moving towards pure MOTU audio interface mixing, i think with the 828mk3 the technology is there, it's just a matter of getting used to and maximizing it's abilities.

i briefly owned a Mackie Control surface but dumped it shortly after once the Pro version was announced to replace it thinking that it would offer higher resolution due to the USB interface. i was apparently wrong, although they would look smashing if i had a white Arp Odyssey.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:57 am

I record my synths track by track to whatever I'm recording on. I add no effects, and no processing.
Right now, it is direct to VS-1680.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:31 pm

I compose the basic track using midi. Then record each synth part individually. If I know I want effects, eq or compression on a particular part, I'll use outboard gear and record the part wet. Otherwise, I record dry and use the effects in Sonar.

The way you choose to record should depend on both your composition process and what synths you are using. If you compose while recording, obviously you could not record all the tracks at once and would then need a smaller number of ins and outs. Also, your use of outboard gear should affect the number of ins and outs you consider. Obviously, you can't go wrong with a larger set up unless it bogs down your work flow.

I don't think my set-up is ideal, but I feel comfortable with the simple flow I have. I use a lot of overdubbing--use the same synth for multiple parts--so I would need to record many parts sequentially anyways.

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Sat May 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Currently have synths/drum machines into a Lexicon Omega. it works for now but i've had my eye on the Toft 24 channel mixer too. I really want a end all - be all mixing desk and I think that will fit my needs. Definitely upgrading the sound card too eventually. Probably a MOTU product.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat May 10, 2008 8:54 pm

i just recently received my Behringer 1602 line mixer. now i have 7 stereo pairs running into it (14 inputs). the 1602 feeds into my other mixer, which was already connected to my PC interface. i don't know it'll sound on recordings, but just playing it thru my monitors sounds great. luckily (for me), i'm not picky about a little line noise, but either way, as of right now i don't hear any. should work out pretty nicely i'm thinking.

my biggest problem with 99% of the mixers out there is that they all have XLR inputs and preamps, none of which i need since my old mixer and my PC interface have both (plus i have plenty of outboard preamp choices). i wish there were more line mixers out there to choose from.

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Mon May 12, 2008 12:37 am

killedaway wrote: my biggest problem with 99% of the mixers out there is that they all have XLR inputs and preamps, none of which i need since my old mixer and my PC interface have both (plus i have plenty of outboard preamp choices). i wish there were more line mixers out there to choose from.
If you dont want preamps and only need 1/4 ins w/ volume attenuation, it would'nt be too difficult a project to build custom to your needs if your handy w/ an iron. If your not you can always find someone to help w/ advice and a tutorial.

just a thought.
:wink:
sell me your KS5!

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon May 12, 2008 7:40 pm

brian.only wrote:If you dont want preamps and only need 1/4 ins w/ volume attenuation, it would'nt be too difficult a project to build custom to your needs if your handy w/ an iron. If your not you can always find someone to help w/ advice and a tutorial.

just a thought.
:wink:
yeah, that would probably make for a nice project, but when i can buy a 16-channel line mixer for a hundred bucks new, that's just too good to pass up. if someone commissioned me to make such a mixer, you can be sure i'd charge more than that!

TheBeezus

Post by TheBeezus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:51 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:synths + laptop + FX -> Alesis Multimix 12FX -> Echo Layla -> desktop PC.
That's a hellacious chain !

Voice by voice approach here. I just fire it through preamp -> interface -> DAW

I sequence my midi data in Sonar (which I'm not a huge fan of midi-wise, but I don't want to learn a new program ) and record it back for more accurate clocking.
soundcloud.com/beatemupmusic

kraku
Gear: genoQs Machines Nemo
Eurorack modular
Future Retro XS
Novation Supernova 2 Pro Keyboard
Kurzweil PC161
Rode K2
ESP EC-400
Ibanez SR-900
Band: Aflecht / Diesel UFO

Post by kraku » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:36 pm

When I get my GenoQs Machines Nemo, I'll have the following signal chain.

Nemo --> Supernova 2 & MPC1000 --> Mackie 1604-VLZ3 --> RME Fireface 400 --> Laptop (Live/Logic)
Misspellers of the world, unit!

culturedslob

Post by culturedslob » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:15 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I record my synths track by track to whatever I'm recording on. I add no effects, and no processing.
Right now, it is direct to VS-1680.
wow youre recordings/synths sound really nice man!

mirt

Post by mirt » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:36 am

on 1/2 inch tape there is enough place for all my synths :)
tascam m2524 + fx (eventide h3000, re 301, mxr digital reverb 01 etc) > tascam msr16 > ssl bus compressor copy > cdr

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:31 pm

mirt wrote: > ssl bus compressor copy >
Is that the gyraf diy clone by any chance?
virb.com/ookpikk

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:52 am

About to be running a Mac dual G4 tower running Logic Express 7 with two M-Audio 1010lts like this once I get the second card in a couple weeks.
The setup is almost definitely going to be as follows

Ins:
12 RCA ins:
2) ES-1mkii stereo mix
2) EA-1 parts
4) Nova outs
1) VZ-10m out
2) XL-7 outs
1) Bass amp out
------2 Bass amp ins:
------1) 1/4" Active bass amp in - blank
------1) 1/4" Passive bass amp in - blank
4 Balanced 1/4" ins:
2) Nova outs
2) Mixer out
------4 Mixer ins (RCA):
------2) Faze outs
------2) 1/4" free cable
------+1 Mic in
2 Stereo S/PDIF ins:
1) Stereo turntable 1 out
1) Stereo turntable 2 out

Outs:
16 RCA outs:
1) EA-1 in
1) DM-100 in
2) Bass Amp ins
2) Nova ins
2) ES-1mkii ins
2) Faze ins
2) Free cables
4) Extra
10 Left over gear outs:
1) DM-100 out
1) VZ-10m
4) XL-7 outs
2) Kawai K4 outs
2) Casio ht-700 outs

Either that or two patchbays for everything.
Man, I'll need to spend quite a bit on cables...
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)