EQ with spectral analyzer?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

EQ with spectral analyzer?

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 am

I'm pretty new to recording and such, so I'm thinking it might be good to have an EQ that gives me some visual, as well as audio, feedback. Specifically something that gives me a visual representation of what frequencies are in a track, so I can see, as well as hear, the changes that are happening as I change EQ settings.

I did a Google search for 'EQ with spectral analyzer' (not sure this is the the most accurate terminology, but it was the best I could come up with). I found some references to Presonus EyeQ, but couldn't actually find it for sale anywhere (maybe it's not actually released yet?) Then there's Izotope Ozone, which looks like it does what I'm after, plus a bunch of other stuff, but costs $250 (not sure I'd get enough use out of it to justify that price).

So does anyone know of a more bargain-priced application that does this? Preferably something that would work as a plug-in in ProTools M-Powered.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

Re: EQ with spectral analyzer?

Post by derma_tek » Thu May 01, 2008 2:11 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:I'm pretty new to recording and such, so I'm thinking it might be good to have an EQ that gives me some visual, as well as audio, feedback. Specifically something that gives me a visual representation of what frequencies are in a track, so I can see, as well as hear, the changes that are happening as I change EQ settings.

I did a Google search for 'EQ with spectral analyzer' (not sure this is the the most accurate terminology, but it was the best I could come up with). I found some references to Presonus EyeQ, but couldn't actually find it for sale anywhere (maybe it's not actually released yet?) Then there's Izotope Ozone, which looks like it does what I'm after, plus a bunch of other stuff, but costs $250 (not sure I'd get enough use out of it to justify that price).

So does anyone know of a more bargain-priced application that does this? Preferably something that would work as a plug-in in ProTools M-Powered.

i highly recommend roger nichols INSPECTOR, it's only a spectral analyzer but at least then you are free to use whatever eq you like in combination with it. plus IT'S FREE.
http://www.rndigital.org/inspector.html

as far as eq's go, even though they aren't exactly budget eq's, i'm a big fan of the URS eq's. they have some really great plugins.
http://www.ursplugins.com/

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu May 01, 2008 2:45 pm

Inspector looks cool (I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to have an EQ and the analyzer open at once and just jump back and forth between the windows, to get an idea of how one is effecting the other), and you can't beat free.

Thanks!
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

Post by derma_tek » Thu May 01, 2008 6:32 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Inspector looks cool (I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to have an EQ and the analyzer open at once and just jump back and forth between the windows, to get an idea of how one is effecting the other), and you can't beat free.

Thanks!
the sonalksis eq's are pretty awesome as well, and cheaper than the urs stuff.
http://www.sonalksis.com/

TheBeezus

Post by TheBeezus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:41 pm

http://www.apulsoft.ch/apeq/

I use this religiously.
soundcloud.com/beatemupmusic

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Voxengo's SCAPE is free, as is ElectriQ.
virb.com/ookpikk

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:36 am

I'd put a spectrograph type plugin both before and after the EQ. Then you can put one above and one below the EQ GUI.

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:25 pm

BF wrote:Just my humble opinion, but skip the visuals and learn to trust mixing with your ears rather than second guessing with your eyes.
Ditto. Spectrographs can be comforting to look at but are 1) rarely accurate 2) usually lagging behind and 3) mostly useless in the low end (the size of the FFT window used to calculate the values has to be reasonably small for these to be any use and in the lower frequencies the waves are quite simply too long to fit in this window, simply put) - which is quite often the most problematic area when mixing.

Use your ears.