Alesis Multimix 6/ 8

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
RedSky
No Longer Registered

Alesis Multimix 6/ 8

Post by RedSky » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:56 pm

I had the Behringer equivalent of these mixers and it was the noisiest thing I ever heard. I've been considering one of the Alesis types but due to their visual similarity to the Behringer was concerned that they might be equally noisy. Is this just paranoia?? Alesis gear generally isn't noisy is it? What with Behringer any way? Thanks!

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:14 pm

I've owned some form of Multimix FX for four years now (started with a 6 and now have a 12SD) and have had no trouble with mine on the noise front whatsoever.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks a lot. You put my mind at rest. I was just paranoid as they look almost identical. :D

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Alesis Multimix 6/ 8

Post by Yoozer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:17 pm

RedSky wrote:visual similarity to the Behringer
Nah, Behringer copies their visuals from Mackie.

edit: and Mackie copies them right back again

http://www.behringer.com/1202/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.mackie.com/products/802vlz3/index.html
Last edited by Yoozer on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:20 pm

Well, take it with a grain of salt! Back when I worked in radio we used a lot of Behringer mixers for remote broadcasting and I never really noticed any issues with those either, but to be fair I wasn't going for "max fidelity," just hoping to get a hot signal from point A to point B.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Since there's already a topic on these Alesis Multimix's I thought I's jump on the bandwagon with a few questions.

I own a handful of Alesis gear and I'm pretty happy with all of it so far. I've come across a used Multimix 8 USB, and I'm thinking of picking it up.

However - I've read a number of reviews and comments online that the USB portion is buggy and doesn't integrate well in Win XP. I'm sure that the physical mixer itself works well, but I'd really like to know that if I should hold out for something newer or more suited for digital recording than the Mutlimix.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with the s/w interface on these Alesis Multimix units?

Thanks!

ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.

plexicube

Multimix 12 Firewire

Post by plexicube » Sat May 03, 2008 9:45 pm

From what I understand, the USB versions of these mixers only give you a blended 2 track input into your computer for recording. The Firewire versions however, one of which I own, send each track into your computer discretely. You get 44.1- 48/16 rather than 96/24, but the track separation is good, and I've never had any problems with bleed in mine. There is a small effects section which I find useless as it offers no editability whatsever. I suppose it would be good in a pinch for a live gig, but the build quality of the faders makes me never want to take mine out of the house.

The aux system is odd as there are no track returns, only a master return. Thus, while your 2 track mix (which is also sent as a stereo master into the computer) will contain any effects you applied via aux your tracks will *not* be printed with those effects. There is no automation of any kind.

I am running a G5 mac with Leopard. There were some driver issues early on in the Leopard release cycle, but the latest Alesis drivers work fine and dandy for me now.

Hope that helps.
Musicist and programmator.