getting rid of unwanted noise and 60hz hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

getting rid of unwanted noise and 60hz hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Post by wiss » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:57 pm

has anyone found a really good Noise Suppressor or Hum Eliminator
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:14 pm

For ground loops, I just use a Radio Shack GLI and some adapters. http://www.radioshack.com/sm-buy-the-gr ... 62214.html
For Noise Gating, I just multitrack the noisy channels and gate them digitally, but I used to use a Behringer Denoiser, which worked well on anything except really punchy sounds.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Fri May 02, 2008 7:08 am

I try to eq out the noise when recording and then if its to quiet gain stage...
works unless your doing more than a couple of layers w/ the same source, I also record direct to interface a lot which helps. I also have a 'quiet' amp, loud as you want, but sometimes forget its on! gotta love O.G. Musicmans.

btw- I know you play a lot of guitar, have you shielded your guitar pickgaurd for rf??? are there flourescents in your studio? sometimes the obvious is easily overlooked. watching your power cables so they dont cross patches?
short patch= best patch. lift ground?
sell me your KS5!

bigbadbarns

Post by bigbadbarns » Fri May 09, 2008 4:35 am

I've recently pimped out my guitar - what's this rf pickup shielding you talk of?

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Fri May 09, 2008 5:00 am

This is for a tele (has link for strat setup), but will work w/ any guitar w/ single coils w/ abit of interpretation,

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

and this may be helpful too-

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/noisebucket.php

cheers
Brian
sell me your KS5!