Roland Space Echos

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland Space Echos

Post by JSRockit » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Anyone know one site with pictures and descriptions of all the Space Echos Roland released? It seems the RE-201 is the most readily available...but are the one's like the RE-101, which are cheaper, cool as well?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:14 am

the korg machines look like more fun to me...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:37 am

A site that lists all of them with pictures, as well as info, would be cool.

Models: RE-100, 101, 150, 200, 201, 301, 501 and SRE-555(rack)

101/150: are fine if you're looking for just a tape delay. They each have 6 settings and the difference is the 150 has a direct output and an echo output. Don't quote me but the output is for the instrument out as it is(through the unit) and out with the effect at the same time.

201: I own, has a real spring reverb tank, 11 settings + reverb only setting. 4 settings are for straight echo the rest are it plus reverb.

301: is a 201 plus chorus. Has 6 settings like previous models because you have control over turning reverb/chorus on/off. I believe this one was first to have sound on sound.

501: Supposed to be an upgraded version of the 301 and has a longer delay(i think the 301/501 have the same longer tape path than the rest?).

SRE: is a 501 in a box/rackable.

It's up to your wallet. I like my 201 and the reverb on it def sounds spacey like the name suggests. The Korg Stage Echo is supposed to be real good. Ace Tone(Roland) is another one you might want to try and find. Make sure you really want one because if it breaks Roland doesn't make the motors anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2b7fhDUB3U

-Acetone early Roland delay vid-

They are what they are man. You wouldn't want to wake up and think "I just spent X on this when I could've just bought a Danelectro/Boss/EH/etc!" The Danelectro one is pretty good and inexpensive =P. The Boss RE-20 emulation seems to be getting jocked right now too.

Also...Portishead and Kraftwerk this weekend w00000!

:happy3:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:06 pm

Yeah, it is either the real deal tape or nothing. I'll just stick with regular analog delays if I don't go this route. I can get the RE-150 for about $400...and if it dies, then oh well...sell it for parts on ebay. The RE-201 would be nice to have but is alot more expensive... and exceeds the "if it breaks, f**k it" threshold for me. The Korgs looks great as well...but don't seem as easy to find for sale.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:47 pm

if you going to go the RE-201 route (i had one for a few weeks but decided the maintenience was a little bit more than what i wanted) i sold it but it did have a few problems - some oxidation, no handle, no serial # tag, there was oxidation on the nuts on the input and output jacks, the inside (i took the whole unit out of the tolex) was really dirty and clean up was a chore, the plate where the tape sat and the tape heads were dirty as well, and the knob that selected which setting you wanted produced a semi loud thump every time you switch settings (not sure if that was supposed to happen but i reckon not)

anyways if you do go the older tape machine route PAY the premium price for a well kept and groomed machine. im just not a fixer upper kinda person.

you could also go the new tape machine routes (fulltones made a new one as well as a couple of other brands) but they are normally 800 - 1000+

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:15 pm

xibalba wrote: anyways if you do go the older tape machine route PAY the premium price for a well kept and groomed machine. im just not a fixer upper kinda person.

you could also go the new tape machine routes (fulltones made a new one as well as a couple of other brands) but they are normally 800 - 1000+
Yep, I hear ya...but if I end up really liking it...then it may be worth it. Also, I live near NYC and can walk to multiple places that would be able to fix it. A new one is way too expensive as an initial investment. $1000+ for something I may not even like for my music...and then sell for 75% of new? Nah. I can buy a space echo lower if I play my hand right and then sell it for more later.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:32 pm

JSRockit wrote:
xibalba wrote: anyways if you do go the older tape machine route PAY the premium price for a well kept and groomed machine. im just not a fixer upper kinda person.

Yep, I hear ya...but if I end up really liking it...then it may be worth it. Also, I live near NYC and can walk to multiple places that would be able to fix it. A new one is way too expensive as an initial investment. $1000+ for something I may not even like for my music...and then sell for 75% of new? Nah. I can buy a space echo lower if I play my hand right and then sell it for more later.
haha yea i hear ya you would have a better time getting all if not more money back on an RE-201 or other Roland Echo than you would if you went for a new one, as for me ill probably go the RE-20 pedal route its not "stupid super hip-hop cool" but it will do :D

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:12 pm

xibalba wrote: as for me ill probably go the RE-20 pedal route its not "stupid super hip-hop cool" but it will do :D
Sure it will...and I bet alot of hip-hop types use stuff that doesn't sound nearly as good. It's just not what I want. I can do clean delays anywhere...but space echo stuff is hard to emulate. Plus, you can run a drum machine through input, overdrive the input, and record the output dry...that is what Mr. Oizo did on his first album for those crunchy drums.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:42 pm

JSRockit wrote:
xibalba wrote: as for me ill probably go the RE-20 pedal route its not "stupid super hip-hop cool" but it will do :D
Sure it will...and I bet alot of hip-hop types use stuff that doesn't sound nearly as good. It's just not what I want. I can do clean delays anywhere...but space echo stuff is hard to emulate. Plus, you can run a drum machine through input, overdrive the input, and record the output dry...that is what Mr. Oizo did on his first album for those crunchy drums.
:lol: i wasnt jocking ya btw, i totally agree that the space echo stuff is hard to emulate, im just basically saying im too lazy to do all the maintenance plus i dont have anywhere around here that would take on the task of fixing one :( good luck in getting one thats pretty well maintained

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:38 pm

I still think you'd be better off with the Hiwatt tape echo, then you don't have to worry about a Roland breaking down. Plus new tapes are easily available at $20 bucks a shot.
I know they're on backorder but musicians friend says 23 days for shipment.

I've seen em on the web for $554.oo.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:47 pm

xibalba wrote:anyways if you do go the older tape machine route PAY the premium price for a well kept and groomed machine. im just not a fixer upper kinda person.

Yep. If you aren't a handy and patient person then don't bother. The maintenance isn't even crazy. Cleaning dust off and replacing nuts and handles wont take much time away from you. That PAY the premium line is over exaggerated.

I've seen lots negative comments on the fulltone from recording pros. That it isn't what it's cracked up to be and doesn't even sound that good. Plus they have a proprietary tape cartridge.

I bought mine for $500 locally a few months back and in great shape inside and out. Guess I was lucky. I just need to find some splicing tape and 8 tracks to experiment with loops.

They sound good, up to your ears. Make sure it works and the person is legit if you can't test it yourself. If you have doubt then I wouldn't buy it because it will linger in your mind. Either way you can always sell it because someone always wants one, and probably for the same or a little more than you paid.

Now off to Coachella.

:happy3:

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:25 pm

JSRockit wrote:I can get the RE-150 for about $400...and if it dies, then oh well...sell it for parts on ebay. The RE-201 would be nice to have but is alot more expensive.
the Space Echos- especially the 201- are really common. as long as you avoid ebay you can hunt one down for cheap. like robot, i paid $500 (that was a month or so ago) & it's minty fresh. it's one of a few pieces of gear i own where the moment i plugged it in and used it i immediately thought: this is fantastic.

as an added bonus, you will finally have an excuse to spend $12 on a head demagnetizing wand, they look like pure evil & have a name to match.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:54 pm

there is a hiwatt on ebay as we write... But it just doesn't have the vintage appeal...which sadly, I like in the rolands.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:30 pm

JSRockit wrote:there is a hiwatt on ebay as we write... But it just doesn't have the vintage appeal...which sadly, I like in the rolands.
understands and shakes head in agreement.
I can understand them easy to find in Cali but here in the midwest they are hard to find so ebay is the only way. :(
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:10 pm

seamonkey wrote:I can understand them easy to find in Cali but here in the midwest they are hard to find so ebay is the only way. :(
i posted an ad on my local craigslist & somebody responded from chicago... that's the origin of my 201. i recently got an Emulator II the same way and bought a minimoog right off of seattle's craigslist; everyone i've ever encountered has been willing to ship as long as you pay shipping and can establish that you're not a scammer (or nigerian). you also avoid any bs handling surcharge from the sellers.