how to record from mixer output into a computer

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
princefan3

how to record from mixer output into a computer

Post by princefan3 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:38 pm

all i understand is to use the main out from mixer to mic input 1/4 jack on the computer....what do i need to do after that...and what free programmes if any, could i use in order to record my sounds to cd.

many thanks

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:02 pm

For a start you should be using the line input, not the microphone one. I'm assuming your soundcard will have a line in - on consumer models it's usually has a blue ring around the jack socket.

A pink ring (yes...I know) is for the microphone in and the green is for line out - i.e. to your speakers/monitors. You'll also have to combine the two mixer main outs into a single stereo minijack or maybe just jack in your case.

In the long run you are probably better off buying a dedicated audio interface. If your sound card is only your basic consumer fare then you'll most likely have terrible latency.

As for recording, check out Audacity - that's free and decent as far as I know.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:44 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:In the long run you are probably better off buying a dedicated audio interface. If your sound card is only your basic consumer fare then you'll most likely have terrible latency.
It'll also sound like s**t.

Princefan, read this:

http://tweakheadz.com/setting_up_your_audio_card.htm

Try to ignore them foisting gear onto you though.