Favorite synths to use as signal processors

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
linndrum9000

Favorite synths to use as signal processors

Post by linndrum9000 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:28 pm

I just ran my mpc through my little phatty and it was amazing. Having the hands on control of the filter lfo using the mod wheel was awesome. Now I am obsessed with getting more effects boxes and stuff to process my drum machine and synths. Im thinking an evolver would be nice as on top of its signal processing its also an analog/digital synth. Anyways what your favorite synth to run other non-synth signals through?

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:45 pm

Synthi, evolver and MS-20

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:49 pm

ALthough I have aquired other synths with external ins over the years, the only synth I ever processed external sounds with is my Roland SH-2. I used to run drum sounds from my 808 through its filter or create additional percussion or bass.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:16 pm

A Kurzweil K2500 in Live mode is a good place to start, although it's a real toss up between that and the external filter input modification on the Korg Polysix. Hmm, I've never tried both at the same time.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:43 pm

MS-20 is the master of messing with sounds. The ESP is amazing. It can make instant basslines from drums. Love it.

I've also enjoyed using the FR-777 for mashing my 808 drums into squishy bleeps.

I've also just started to learn how to use the Machinedrum to affect external sounds but I can't seem to get the delay or reverb to work in realtime just the filters. Is that possible? I still need to learn how to use the UW part of it for resampling.

Dreamtronix

Post by Dreamtronix » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Z wrote:ALthough I have aquired other synths with external ins over the years, the only synth I ever processed external sounds with is my Roland SH-2. I used to run drum sounds from my 808 through its filter or create additional percussion or bass.
Second that on the SH-2. The RS-09 chorus is great as well for adding that Roland shimmer effect.
Roland: Jupiter-8, Jupiter-6(x2), MC-808, MP-600, RS-09,

Yamaha: CS-30, SK-15

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Coming up in my mind immediately are the EMS VCS3/Synthi-A(KS) and Korg MS-20.
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:33 pm

For the bargain crowd: The Korg EA-1 makes a much better FX box than it does synth imho.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:40 pm

th0mas wrote:For the bargain crowd: The Korg EA-1 makes a much better FX box than it does synth imho.
+1. The ES-1 works well for this too.

My Minimax is the only other synth I've run stuff through, sounds pretty nice.

I really wish the Prophet 600 had audio inputs to the filter. I wonder if there's a way to mod it (probably beyond my very limited electrical capabilities anyhow :cry: ).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu May 01, 2008 12:55 am

of the ones i played, SH-2 and MS-20 gave amazing results. both have a unique, very non-hifi, very not "nice" character, that is just awesome for drum sounds, adding focus, gritt and (esp Ms-20) full out mayhem to normal, clean sounds. :wink: in comparison, mutator i use for exactly the oposite - it rounds, warms up and fattens gritty lofi sounds. (for ex SP-12)

i tried once with A6 filter inpout, but havent toyed with oit long enough to have a recolleciton of the sound..

i dont have a MS-20 but would love to, when or if i ever get a sml mopdular, get some kinda MS-20 type HP/LP filter for it. just fkin awesome.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu May 01, 2008 1:38 am

When I get my Polivoks back I'm gonna fire a drum loop through it - that should be interesting!

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu May 01, 2008 2:06 am

Nord Micromodular. Putting the filters in a DJ isolator/frequency killer configuration does great things on audio material.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 01, 2008 3:57 am

I use my synths as much for processing as I do for playing. Ever wished your softsynths sounded more three-dimensional? Run em through a synth. In fact run everything through a synth, all the time.
th0mas wrote:For the bargain crowd: The Korg EA-1 makes a much better FX box than it does synth imho.
Or even better, you can use it as both at the same time. I'm sure everyone's getting sick of hearing me say it, but we got some awesome sounds by midi'ing up a Poly-800 and EA-1, running the poly's audio into the EA-1's input and playing them as one instrument. Get some really interesting sounds playing chords on the poly, cause the EA will just play one note, but let the sound of the chord through as well. As the Poly only has one filter you don't find that teh filters from the two machines mess each other up too much. Best thing is that both those units are really cheap second hand.

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Thu May 01, 2008 8:16 am

I've used the EA-1 (with a capo holding the filter open) live for an entire noise-guitar set. It was great.

I've been getting really into the way my MG-1's works lately though. With a really loud input sound it sound quite over-driven awesome. I've been using the drums from a hing hon EK-001* as a great source.

*this goofy thing:
so what do I put down here now?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 01, 2008 8:25 am

Oh by the way, this should be in Sound Production, where all the good threads are. ;)