Favorite synths to use as signal processors

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
ipassenger

Post by ipassenger » Thu May 01, 2008 9:34 am

Everything i own has ins on it. And i have tried them all.

Nord G2: Brill can do anything, have to think it thro tho for best effect, or just load something someone else built.

ESX: Really good for getting a dirty club sound our of something which is maybe lacking weight.

MD: Filters are great for putting other machines thro and the distortion after the filter is also really useful, need to do it more.

CS15: pretty cool liquid sound but too much hassle when all my other gear can do this too.

PUlse Plus: Brill clean analog filter sound, liikes being seriously overdriven, as does the CS15 above.

I guess the nord is the best but the ESX is getting the most use at the mo.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Thu May 01, 2008 11:00 am

yup, the EA can demolish incoming audio quite well, one of my faves is sending it drums, set it to maybe 70/30 or 60/40 audio in/osc 2, this way, you get "chopped up" drums that come in at the same time as the osc notes, very fun if you use the filter and delay-effects :)

also, I just can't say this enough times, but the ESX (and probably the EMX too) has 3 seperate effects that can be chained, as well as filter, accents, motion sequencing, you name it :) definately awesome for processing.

blending aduio in and osc's on the microkorg is also a lot of fun.

you can tell I like to mangle sounds ;)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Thu May 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:we got some awesome sounds by midi'ing up a Poly-800 and EA-1, running the poly's audio into the EA-1's input and playing them as one instrument. Get some really interesting sounds playing chords on the poly, cause the EA will just play one note, but let the sound of the chord through as well.
do you by chance have any examples of that? I'd love to hear it. :)

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Thu May 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:I've used the EA-1 (with a capo holding the filter open) live for an entire noise-guitar set. It was great.

I've been getting really into the way my MG-1's works lately though. With a really loud input sound it sound quite over-driven awesome. I've been using the drums from a hing hon EK-001* as a great source.

*this goofy thing:

Tyler2000 --

A capo . . . brilliant!

Here is another way . . . Set one of the Electribe's parts (Part One or Part Two) to a drone by selecting all of the step keys, Set Osc 1 waveform to Audio and turn the Osc Volume all the way to the right, which "turns off" Osc 2 and provides full and clear Osc 1 only. Hit the Play button and your filter will be now, via the Audio Input, open for musical monkey business. I run and filter my MRT-3B through the EA-1 mkII in this way all the time.

:)

-- ron P.

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

mavertron

rs09

Post by mavertron » Thu May 01, 2008 5:29 pm

Another vote for the rs o9 here.

put a 101 thru it at band practice and it sounded really good, totally
took the harsh dco edge of the 101.

its a bargain that synth..
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

kaffekick

Post by kaffekick » Fri May 02, 2008 12:38 am

When I had hardware I loved to fed the sound of my drummachines through the filters of my Moog Little Phatty & Korg MS20. Amazing stuff. :)
Gear: Yamaha Electone B-405

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Fri May 02, 2008 1:41 am

I use my ASM-2 for most processing, because it's the most versatile. Novation KS4 is also pretty good for filtering / vocoding drumlines, and the CS15 is a bit of a favourite for running bass guitar and drums through.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Fri May 02, 2008 2:41 am

nord modular, v synth, wavestation, microwave xt, er1.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 02, 2008 3:00 am

monolith wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:we got some awesome sounds by midi'ing up a Poly-800 and EA-1, running the poly's audio into the EA-1's input and playing them as one instrument. Get some really interesting sounds playing chords on the poly, cause the EA will just play one note, but let the sound of the chord through as well.
do you by chance have any examples of that? I'd love to hear it. :)
Not at the moment, we haven't used that setup for a few years now. If I have some time and find the right patches again I might record something, but I make no promises... :)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed May 07, 2008 7:56 am

Evolver, Nord Modular, RS7000.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

mirt

Post by mirt » Wed May 07, 2008 9:25 am

cs5 for guitars, i love the sound of guitar with cs filter,
ms10 with loops or field recordings for lo-fi dirt.

eminor9

Post by eminor9 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:02 pm

No mention of Monomachine sofar, one of my favourite signal processors because every signal (you can do two mono's processed differently with effect machine or just a thru machine or one stereo freely configurable). The best part is that you get the full synthesis parameters (envelopes, amps, filters, delay, each track having its own delay and three LFO's) and the ability to trigger which step you like or lock steps differently.

The bit reducer on the MD sounds much tastier than the Mono though.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu May 08, 2008 5:13 pm

I used to put my guitar and digital synth(s) through my ARP Axxe's filter. Now, if I want to do the same thing, I use the Minimoog Voyager's filters. (I'd do likewise with a microKorg.)
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Sherman Filterbank : great for subtle stereo phasing, raw 70's-gritty filtering (a bit reminiscent of an ARP odyssey) and even as a deluxe fuzzbox for guitar. whatever you put through can grow a new pair of hairy monster balls as big as you like.

Korg ESX : this is a brilliant piece; it's so flexible. I use it to sample synth hits and fx which can then be sequenced and mutated into a myriad of variations. audio in for delays and fx for monosynths, particularly live where fx are usually a hassle unless it's all in one board/rack. sounds warmer and is much better w/ external signals than it's sibling the EMX.
of all the fx the grainshifter is my favorite and the ringmod a close 2nd. the reverb is categorically bad, but everything else sounds good to excellent.
chain the 3 fx blocks together and it's ridiculous what this thing can do.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue May 13, 2008 5:33 pm

• Clavia Nord Modular
  • Elektron Monomachine SFX-6
  • Korg OASYS PCI
  • Roland RS-505 Paraphonic
  • Roland SH-2
  • Yamaha A5000