Please help me get my head straight about recording

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
MrLovegrove

Please help me get my head straight about recording

Post by MrLovegrove » Wed May 14, 2008 10:18 am

Hello all, I'm new here and the following might seem glaringly obvious, but I need to double-check my plans before I part with any cold hard cash.

My current set-up features a Korg M1 and Yamaha DX11 (plus a couple more keyboards that I'll be getting rid of), and I'm looking for some extra modules and possibly a new 'board (I'm planning on a Yamaha SY-77, -85 or -99, or a TG-77, or a Roland D-50/D-550, Oberheim Matrix-1000, or maybe something else. The DX-11 will probably be used as a master to control the modules). I'll also be getting a Tascam DP-01 or -02 for recording these plus some acoustic instruments.

Anyway, my question is this: once I got my little collection of gear, do I run all the outputs into a mixer and then connect a single output from the mixer into my Laney keyboard amp and another into the Tascam?

At the moment I've got my synths all running into separate inputs on the amp, but once I get hold of the new gear I'll have more synths than inputs, so I believe I need a mixer. And I don't want to keep swapping cables going into the Tascam, so I am I right in thinking that just one cable from the mixer to one input on the recorder will carry all the synth sounds? I'll only be recording one synth track at a time, with acoustic instruments going into the recorder's other inputs.

I think I've got the wiring set-up clear in my head, but I just need someone else to tell me if I've got it wildly wrong. Any help is much appreciated.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed May 14, 2008 8:31 pm

Have you considered a patchbay?

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Patchbays--2388
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric