guitar amp sim so it's OT ..

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable
Band: The Punker

guitar amp sim so it's OT ..

Post by Umbe78 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:43 am

Anybody uses guitar rig by NI?
on 2th June Guitar Rig XE comes out ... only 99 € ... I could sell my pedals and also my amp !! (to buy synths :? )

I have Yamaha HS50M as monitors and I'm downloading the demo of GR3 ... but I want opinions of somebody that already has it ...
just one of us

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 14, 2008 2:18 pm

This should be in Sound Production, not OT.

Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable

Post by Umbe78 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:29 pm

but this is Sound Production! Moderators already move it
just one of us

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 14, 2008 2:49 pm

It was in OT when I hit the reply button, those moderators sure are efficient... :)

Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Umbe78 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:47 pm

nobody uses Guitar Rig 3 ? :o
just one of us

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:30 pm

this forum doesn't seem big on guitars or software...

I personally use iZotope Trash as an amp sim for my guitar.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Thu May 15, 2008 10:36 pm

I like amplitube!

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Post by Cruel Hoax » Sat May 17, 2008 3:01 pm

Guitar Rig -in my opinion- is a great tool. It is a bit -erm- demanding of visual resources (you've just gotta deal with the dimensions of the graphic window; it's not gonna allow itself to be resized or rearranged for more efficient use) much like most NI products I've used. But it's nicely flexible and sounds quite decent. Especially, the ability to set up multiple amp/mic chains gives you a great deal of flexibility when making Large Sounds. Just compensate for the latency once they're rendered. (More later.)

Me, for scratch tracks, I end up using some flavor of Pod, Filterbank or pedal s**t. For keepers, I end up with some combo of Sovtek Tube Midget/Orange Tiny Terror/Epiphone Valve Jr/ Marshall Studio 15 through 2x12, 4x10, homemade 1x12, etc, miked with decent mics and preamp. Oh, and a Hughes & Kettner Red Box, for blending the pick noise and treble back in. Once again, need to correct the latency manually.

I own Izotope Trash, and I keep wanting to like it, but the lack of internal latency compensation (and hence ensuing comb-filtering when transforming a sound from non-Trashed to Trashed) is a big turnoff to me. I was recently called upon to transform a mix from full-fidelity to smashed/trashed as it "faded out." Trash just couldn't do it without the awful comb-filtering. And not in a "speaker emulation" sort of forgivable way; in an "unescapable digital artifact" sort of way. I guess if I just set it and then didn't refer to the dry signal, and didn't make the Trashed signal try to be a dynamic part of the signal, that might work. But who does that?

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Tue May 20, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm using Amplitube but most of the time for something else then guitars, I often bypass the amps and cabinets and just use the pedals.
The CH-1 and Memory Man emulations are great and the spring reverb in the amps sounds also rather nice.
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6