Magic Box of :cry: "Warmth" for Elektrons?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 15, 2008 2:19 am

Sounds like a really nice EQ could be what you're looking for, but they're not cheap though by any means.

Another though I had was that analogue summing could be the solution. You're mixing ITB right? Do you track everything out of your machines individually and then mix? I found the XL-7 sounds a ton better if you do it that way rather than sum tracks in the unit itself, but I imagine you're doing that already.

The last option could just be a technique thing, learning how to get the tools you've got to do the things you want them to. The stuff on your myspace sounds pretty good, I wouldn't say you're in desperate need of something to improve stuff.

I think I know what you mean about the sound of the Elektron stuff, it's kind of hollow and doesn't have a huge amount of weight behind it.

Have you thought about ideas like running your tracks out of an amp/boombox/anything then mic'ing it up and recording that, and blending it in with the clean signal? You can do some extreme EQing on that signal before you mix it back in and get away with it.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:56 am

well, if you want the sound of tape but don't want to deal with tape... Tape sims? I don't know if you can get a hardware tape sim, but I know you could get one for your mac.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 15, 2008 4:59 am

MitchK1989 wrote:I don't know if you can get a hardware tape sim

Expensive though.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu May 15, 2008 8:26 am

I had a similar problem with my MD, so to affect it I used an analog desk with mine, separating certain sounds out the individuals and mixing them in with the stereo output, applying different equalising to them on the desk as opposed to the MD internal mixer. Worked OK sometimes, but I didnt do enough to develop a set technique.

A lot of it was about EQing for me, and I also used a short decaying, very damp, light reverb, with little to no pre delay. With the combination of reverb and filtering on EQ you can soften the overall sound quite well. But it has to be subtle really.

I was going to recommend something like an Aphex Aural Exciter or something, as they tend to be cheaper pieces of gear. But Im not sure whether thats what your looking for.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:31 am

Some would probably think this is a stupid recommendation but whatever, why don't you get an old allen and heath mixer..... eq's are f**k awesome!! And the pre's are sweet! An old GL* board will cost you as much (if not less) than a premium channel strip and sound amazing!

These mixers would definitely breathe new life into any mix.

-Jim
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Thu May 15, 2008 11:20 am

reptar wrote:Gearpr0n
Wow, didn't realise the Porticos had gotten a facelift. Muchos nicer.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Sounds like a really nice EQ could be what you're looking for, but they're not cheap though by any means.

Another though I had was that analogue summing could be the solution. You're mixing ITB right? Do you track everything out of your machines individually and then mix? I found the XL-7 sounds a ton better if you do it that way rather than sum tracks in the unit itself, but I imagine you're doing that already.

The last option could just be a technique thing, learning how to get the tools you've got to do the things you want them to. The stuff on your myspace sounds pretty good, I wouldn't say you're in desperate need of something to improve stuff.

I think I know what you mean about the sound of the Elektron stuff, it's kind of hollow and doesn't have a huge amount of weight behind it.

Have you thought about ideas like running your tracks out of an amp/boombox/anything then mic'ing it up and recording that, and blending it in with the clean signal? You can do some extreme EQing on that signal before you mix it back in and get away with it.
EQ? Maybe... don't want a big desk...don't have the room. A nice rack EQ could work...but is there anything under $1500 that is worth using?

Yeah Stab, I track everything to seperate tracks in Logic...and then effect them seperately. I guess what I'm really concerned with is some low-end magic. Sure, I could EQ the f**k out of the low-end...but if the frequencies aren't there in the first place...then it is hard to get it right. I think I've figured out how to get my bassdrums to sound ok with the newest songs I'm working on...but my basslines are lacking in weight due to the monomachine being...well, not the best for bass. Yeah, I know...get a better bass synth for basslines. However, I feel I'd still focus on the MnM...been there done that.

I have thought about starting to run my stuff through amps and mic-ing them up...that will at least give the sound more life once I blend it back in. I may do that soon.

Oh and yeah, it is a technique thing...but my technique is getting better... but it's also why I don't want to buy a ton of expensive gear...I'm afraid I won't know how to use it well and it'll be a futile attempt to make my stuff sound incremently better. Stuff like the Portico...I'm not even sure I would be able to tell the difference that much. That is why the empirical labs stuff was appealing...I believe they can be a little more over the top than the Portico...plus they add compression, etc.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 15, 2008 12:46 pm

piRoN wrote:
reptar wrote:Gearpr0n
Wow, didn't realise the Porticos had gotten a facelift. Muchos nicer.
I think I prefer the old colours personally, white is a little boring, although it looks cool in the rack.
johans121 wrote:Some would probably think this is a stupid recommendation but whatever, why don't you get an old allen and heath mixer..... eq's are f**k awesome!! And the pre's are sweet! An old GL* board will cost you as much (if not less) than a premium channel strip and sound amazing!

These mixers would definitely breathe new life into any mix.

-Jim
I agree, although I know there's no way JS would want a big desk in his room.

That reminds me that someone on gearslutz was selling a really nice Soundcraft 200B in the NY/NJ area, pickup only for $500. That would be sweet!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu May 15, 2008 12:54 pm

just for cheap thrills and chills, why not try an Alesis SmashUp. The first few compressor settings wont do much for you, but the Pump setting should take you a little ways to where you want.

otherwise, I would simply layer on thicker/heavier/deeper bass drums here an there, recording in real time...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu May 15, 2008 4:54 pm

tallowwaters wrote:just for cheap thrills and chills, why not try an Alesis SmashUp. The first few compressor settings wont do much for you, but the Pump setting should take you a little ways to where you want.

otherwise, I would simply layer on thicker/heavier/deeper bass drums here an there, recording in real time...
And for the price, it's not really much of a risk if you don't end up liking it. I don't really have enough technical knowledge to know how to use compression "properly", but I'd read good things about the Smashup (most of them on VSE, and probably from Tallow, now that I think of it), found one on Ebay for $30-something a few months ago, so I figured 'what the h**l'. I've had fun running drums and bass (the synth kind, and the kind with the strings) through it, even though I still don't really know what I'm doing.

And the Smashup doesn't seem prone to the price inflation that I've seen with some of the other ModFX boxes lately.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu May 15, 2008 5:17 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:just for cheap thrills and chills, why not try an Alesis SmashUp. The first few compressor settings wont do much for you, but the Pump setting should take you a little ways to where you want.

And for the price, it's not really much of a risk if you don't end up liking it. I don't really have enough technical knowledge to know how to use compression "properly", but I'd read good things about the Smashup (most of them on VSE, and probably from Tallow, now that I think of it), found one on Ebay for $30-something a few months ago, so I figured 'what the h**l'. I've had fun running drums and bass (the synth kind, and the kind with the strings) through it, even though I still don't really know what I'm doing.

And the Smashup doesn't seem prone to the price inflation that I've seen with some of the other ModFX boxes lately.
I still own a smashup and would love to see the price go outrageously high, buttt I don't think it'll help JS for his needs. One thing common to all the modfx boxes I've tried (which counts at 6 including the smashup) is a lot of digital noise and abstracts. Also I don't think it's a general-purpose thing I would want to process a lot of my tracks through.

But maybe I'm just using it wrong, that's always a possibility :).

ramos

Post by ramos » Thu May 15, 2008 5:28 pm

yeh the smashup is nice, try it
Sh-101, tb-303, Juno-6, Jx-3p, TR-808, TR-707, TR-727,Oberheim DMX - Tascam m-312b + ghetto effects

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu May 15, 2008 6:25 pm

th0mas wrote:Also I don't think it's a general-purpose thing I would want to process a lot of my tracks through.
Yeah, I'm looking for a general purpose thing...preferably analog.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu May 15, 2008 7:38 pm

Hmmm...finally got my filterbank today (I was a little overzealous in my sig). This will work great for my bassdrums and should work for my basslines...for beefing them up. I could probably run one uneffected from the MnM and one effected by the Filterbank...blend them and get some more bottom. I'm going to experiment with this for now...since the magic box I'd like doesn't exist in my price range. Probably should pick up a nice compressor still though. Hmmm...distressor?

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu May 15, 2008 7:43 pm

If you ran the FB w/ no FM or AM, and put the tracker on, with filter set to a resonant highpass, you could probably get some good results bass-wise.
virb.com/ookpikk