Magic Box of :cry: "Warmth" for Elektrons?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 16, 2008 12:49 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:If you ran the FB w/ no FM or AM, and put the tracker on, with filter set to a resonant highpass, you could probably get some good results bass-wise.
After messing with it...there are many ways. I think this thing is going to work out. So much better than the Metasonix stuff...alot more musical, varied, and useful...not a one trick pony at all.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 16, 2008 1:33 am

For some reason I thought you already had the FB, let us know how it goes. The only decent use I got out of my Filterqueen was putting it into HP mode and using it to boost the bass of stuff, so I think the FB should be able to do it really well.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri May 16, 2008 1:41 am

JSRockit wrote:
GeneralBigbag wrote:If you ran the FB w/ no FM or AM, and put the tracker on, with filter set to a resonant highpass, you could probably get some good results bass-wise.
After messing with it...there are many ways. I think this thing is going to work out. So much better than the Metasonix stuff...alot more musical, varied, and useful...not a one trick pony at all.
YES!

Another convert :D
virb.com/ookpikk

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 16, 2008 1:56 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:For some reason I thought you already had the FB, let us know how it goes. The only decent use I got out of my Filterqueen was putting it into HP mode and using it to boost the bass of stuff, so I think the FB should be able to do it really well.
Because it was in my sig gear list...but not in my home yet...I updated a bit prematurely. I was anticipating that it would suck...and I was proved wrong...luckily.

eminor9

Post by eminor9 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:42 pm

I use my SPL rack units all the time with the Elektrons.
The MD gets one or two seperate outs through the SPL Charisma and two mixer out busses go through the SPL Vitalizer MKII - very efficient to change the bass characteristics (soft to tight control + compressor for low frequencies only) + SPL Dynamaxx in front (I use the soft limiter function the most). Cannot stress enough how these units work efficiently with very few controls. A perfect match for the Elektrons if you ask me, very easy to use but drastic sound changes when required. And I got all three for half the price of a FATSO.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri May 16, 2008 3:35 pm

ahhhhh ....JS got a Sherman - welcome to the asylum :D
default setup it is my bassline processor, and also sees a lot of use 'vintagizing" digital synths.

The Fatso is quite dramatic at taking thin digital and "pumping in the ooze". so to speak. I've heard it make source audio 3x bigger yet still retain it's definition and character.

anyhow, at home....i use an ART VLA pro (early USA rev.) to take the digital edge off and add some dimension to the EMX, and as a mixdown/bounce processor. It's fairly cheap at around $300, but is well-made and relatively quiet. It is probably the best thing ART has ever made (not saying much, i know - but it IS miles ahead of Behringer in quality) And it sounds good. It won't rock your world, but for smoothing things out and warming them up it does a very good job; i can work for much longer w/out ear fatigue and my mixes sound sweeter and you can play them LOUD and it sounds very good.
Not an end-all solution as it doesn't add much girth, but it does get a bit fatter and definitely warms it and takes the edge off. I'd say get one and play around with it for a while until you decide to take the plunge on a Fatso or something like that. You may even decide to keep it as it is always handy to have around to patch a digital through to help it sound right.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 16, 2008 7:35 pm

eminor9 wrote:I use my SPL rack units all the time with the Elektrons.
The MD gets one or two seperate outs through the SPL Charisma and two mixer out busses go through the SPL Vitalizer MKII - very efficient to change the bass characteristics (soft to tight control + compressor for low frequencies only) + SPL Dynamaxx in front (I use the soft limiter function the most). Cannot stress enough how these units work efficiently with very few controls. A perfect match for the Elektrons if you ask me, very easy to use but drastic sound changes when required. And I got all three for half the price of a FATSO.
Which one would you start with if you could only pick one?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 16, 2008 7:39 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
anyhow, at home....i use an ART VLA pro (early USA rev.) to take the digital edge off and add some dimension to the EMX, and as a mixdown/bounce processor. It's fairly cheap at around $300, but is well-made and relatively quiet.
I've always been a bit weary of ART stuff... but this one has been praised in a few forums. Hmmm... not sure. :oops:

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri May 16, 2008 8:04 pm

I found a great demo of the Culture Vulture over at gearslutz...
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-pro ... lture.html
Also - I'm renting a Fatso for the week to do some buss stuff, and, if I have time, tracking.
I can post before/after stuff, although it will be the work of someone new to the unit.
virb.com/ookpikk

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat May 17, 2008 12:26 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:I found a great demo of the Culture Vulture over at gearslutz...
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-pro ... lture.html
Wow, that is so minimal...maybe it's just the guys track. I guess I'm looking for a more heavy handed approach... that's the problem with pro audio gear... the effects, while noticable, are very minimal that it is hard to bring myself to pay all the cash. Especially when I don't have a treated room.

eminor9

Post by eminor9 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:16 pm

JSRockit wrote:
eminor9 wrote:I use my SPL rack units all the time with the Elektrons.
Which one would you start with if you could only pick one?
Tough one since they do very much different things.
The vitalizer is excellent (but not limited) for final polish of mix It has the ability to alter quite drastically the low frequency characteristic of a mix - or a track, don't necessarily need to use it on final mix. I'd suggest you check the SOS review, it is spot on. Same with Charisma, which I use more to route specific sounds that need more presence. And presence it adds in a classy way. They can be had both for decent prices on the bay if you look carefully.