Fatso demo (I'm renting one)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
GeneralBigbag

Fatso demo (I'm renting one)

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat May 17, 2008 6:48 am

Ok - this thing works.

I have yet to track, but I used it as a buss compressor on the final mix of THJ.

Technical details:
Both tracks are processed with a Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter for about 1-2 dB of gain reduction, and they have a tiny bit of stereo widening. This processing is on the final mix, so post-fatso on the After file.

The Fatso track uses the Buss compressor mode, taking off about 1-2 dB, and the high saturation is taking about 3-4 dB off of the high transients. The transformer is on, and the input is high enough to cause about 1% THD on transients.

http://ookpikk.googlepages.com/Before.mp3
http://ookpikk.googlepages.com/After.mp3
virb.com/ookpikk

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Fatso demo (I'm renting one)

Post by JSRockit » Sat May 17, 2008 12:19 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:Ok - this thing works.

I have yet to track, but I used it as a buss compressor on the final mix of THJ.

Technical details:
Both tracks are processed with a Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter for about 1-2 dB of gain reduction, and they have a tiny bit of stereo widening. This processing is on the final mix, so post-fatso on the After file.

The Fatso track uses the Buss compressor mode, taking off about 1-2 dB, and the high saturation is taking about 3-4 dB off of the high transients. The transformer is on, and the input is high enough to cause about 1% THD on transients.

http://ookpikk.googlepages.com/Before.mp3
http://ookpikk.googlepages.com/After.mp3
It does work...I hear it in the BD and bassline... but, man, the average person isn't going to be able to tell any difference. I guess I'm a little above the average person these days when listening...so I notice. However, I really wonder if it is worth it for those of us not putting out records or with a few handful of listeners. I'd love to hear more demos.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat May 17, 2008 6:50 pm

I suspect that the average listener would notice that something was up - but they might not be able to put their finger on it.
I'll post some demos of what it sounds like when used for tracking later in the week.
virb.com/ookpikk

supercluster

Post by supercluster » Sat May 17, 2008 9:09 pm

yeah definitely noticed immediately in the bassline, however i expected something a little bit more for some reason. A nice change, but I do question how much the average joe would notice.
Doepfer A-100, MPC1000, Alesis Ion
Roland Re-20, Moog MF-105, Moog MF-102, boss me50-b

For sale: Yamaha RS7000, Korg Kontrol49

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat May 17, 2008 9:17 pm

I dunno - if I a/b'd it w/o telling people which was which, I'm guessing there would be a pretty high percentage of people who preferred the Fatso version.

But, what I will also do is take this as a compliment of my mixing and recording ;)
virb.com/ookpikk

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat May 17, 2008 10:15 pm

I think you give the average listener too much credit general. I'm not talking about the average vse listener.

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sat May 17, 2008 11:39 pm

the average listener on VSE is far more discerning than the average listener.

For goodness sakes, a good majority can tell the difference between analog and digital here, the average joe would be like whatever give me my 128kbps mp3 please.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun May 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Architecture wrote:the average listener on VSE is far more discerning than the average listener.

For goodness sakes, a good majority can tell the difference between analog and digital here, the average joe would be like whatever give me my 128kbps mp3 please.
Yep, I'm a below average listener here... but in the regular world...I can tell things my friends cannot.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun May 18, 2008 2:37 pm

Just because you don't think that the 'average listener' (whoever that is) will notice the difference it doesn't mean you shouldn't strive to get that extra 1% better on all your tracks.

I always try and make everything as good as I can, maybe most people won't hear the difference but I'm gonna do stuff cause I can hear the difference, which makes it worth doing.

Whether or not I'd spend a certain amount on a device that just gave me that 1% or not would really depend, and I guess it's up to the individual.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun May 18, 2008 4:01 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Just because you don't think that the 'average listener' (whoever that is) will notice the difference it doesn't mean you shouldn't strive to get that extra 1% better on all your tracks.

I always try and make everything as good as I can, maybe most people won't hear the difference but I'm gonna do stuff cause I can hear the difference, which makes it worth doing.

Whether or not I'd spend a certain amount on a device that just gave me that 1% or not would really depend, and I guess it's up to the individual.
True, I try to make each batch of songs sound better than the last. but the average or below average VSE-er needs to factor price vs. reality no? The reality is that you can spend an awful lot of money on things to make your recordings slightly better... and the same few dozen people will listen and give you the same feedback. Once you become better than average, and alot more people start listening to your stuff...then you can go for the expensive stuff that does the little things. I can still make my stuff sound so much better with the tools I already have... so for me, I don't want to rely on expensive boxes unless I truly know what I'm doing. Just a thought. That said, if you have the money to spend, then do it. I have no issue with that. The flip side is that you need to know what to do with the tools. easier said than done.

I believe the general is doing this because he is releasing his music officially in hope of reaching more than forum dwellers and friends. To me, that is worth it then.
Last edited by JSRockit on Sun May 18, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun May 18, 2008 4:10 pm

idea:

take the processed mix and the unprocessed mix and splice them together every 4-8 bars, alternating between the two. this should make the differences very obvious.
then play it in a car stereo w/ good bass power.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sun May 18, 2008 6:04 pm

Play it in a car stereo - if it's the type of music you expect people to typically listen to in a car. Of course it's good if your mix sounds good on a car stereo, but there's tons of really well-mixed music out there which is the fail in a car.

And, FWIW, this box may cost $2800 in Canada, but you can rent it for a whole week for $80 inc tax. A week is a lot of time if you have all of the raw audio already down.
virb.com/ookpikk

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun May 18, 2008 10:51 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
And, FWIW, this box may cost $2800 in Canada, but you can rent it for a whole week for $80 inc tax. A week is a lot of time if you have all of the raw audio already down.
True. I should look into renting more.