versatile mixer

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
culturedslob

versatile mixer

Post by culturedslob » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:33 am

what might be a good mixer to look into that i can use for my band's PA, as well as for recording without having to disconnect/reconnect alot of stuff?

ideally id like to have my studios live room be my bands jam room and the mixer just sit in the same place and never have to move ANY cables or anything, if possible

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:25 am

Depends on what exactly your band's lineup is and what you plan on recording to, and of course how much you've got to spend. Give us something to work with or we can't help you.

culturedslob

Post by culturedslob » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:56 am

right

well id say on average id be mixing 2 guitars, 1 bass guitar, 1-2 synthesizers, 1 vocal, and id say 5-6 channels for a drumset - thats triggers and mics, for rehearsal.

as for recording, id like to be using an analog 8 track, like a tascam, and perhaps putting recordings onto a PC for further editing.

culturedslob

Post by culturedslob » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:18 am

oh i forgot.

id like to be getting some pretty nice stuff, preferably off of eBay. id like to put together a well working and good sounding bunch of equipment with alot of character for under 3500 bucks

im going to be making alot of electronic music as well as 5 piece band death metal, and jazz and artsy psychedelic rock in between.

pretty ambitious, im aware. ive been a drummer and guitar player for about 7 years, trying to get out and be creative all along but i geuss im just doomed to not find people with likened interest, so anymore id like to just have everything i need to write, play, and record all parts of songs of my own and total creation.

i play drums in a death metal sounding band currently, but id really like to get some very personal and self-indulgent electronic type music started.

i realize im very noob-ish sounding and i havent really done my homework in the music-creation dept. in my few years of being a musician. i really appreciate the responses and help guys!

ramos

Post by ramos » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:42 pm

I just picked up a tascam m-312b, they are pretty cheap, sound awesome and have lots of routing options.

I really like it, how much space do you have?
Sh-101, tb-303, Juno-6, Jx-3p, TR-808, TR-707, TR-727,Oberheim DMX - Tascam m-312b + ghetto effects

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: versatile mixer

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:35 pm

culturedslob wrote:what might be a good mixer to look into that i can use for my band's PA, as well as for recording without having to disconnect/reconnect alot of stuff?

ideally id like to have my studios live room be my bands jam room and the mixer just sit in the same place and never have to move ANY cables or anything, if possible
This is what I do (used to do, when there were more band members than 2 people) and I just hard disk recorder, mixer combo like the Korg D888 (which has too few tracks for you, but is built exactly like a mixer).

The HardDisk recorders that are more spacious are lacking in the knob department, unfortunately (korg d3200, etc)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

culturedslob

Post by culturedslob » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:21 pm

ramos wrote:I just picked up a tascam m-312b, they are pretty cheap, sound awesome and have lots of routing options.

I really like it, how much space do you have?
well, i have a good amount of space actually. not sure on the square footage, but a large sized basement.

does anybody know anything about the mackie 1604 vlz? i really like how it has 16 xlr inputs. seems like i could mic the s**t out of my kit plus alot more