Élkorus - New analog Solina / Elka chorus emulation

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Élkorus - New analog Solina / Elka chorus emulation

Post by audible » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:56 pm

This afternoon I've had the pleasure to fiddle about with a new stereo chorus unit built by a friend of mine, who is an excellent synth tech and electronic musician. With the right settings, it provides an outstanding Solina and Rhapsody chorus emulation. However, it goes far beyond that - some of the results can be truly wild. It's based on three delay lines controlled by two LFOs (1 high 1 low) that can go into the audio range. The phase between the delays can be changed and all of them can be panned - hence stereo chorus.

In his own words:

"It all started as a Solina chorus clone, with just two pots, and it ended as a 16-parameter beast in a 1U rack format. The 3 delay lines are identical to those featured by the Solina and Elka Rhapsody, so you can re-create perfectly both behaviours.

Apart from being stereo (with level and panpot in every delay cell) it sports level, rate and clip controls in both LFOs - one creating the 'spacey' effect and the other with a higher frequency that modulates the first LFO's amplitude.

I made a special effort to reduce the output hiss and distortion, althought it features the same chips that both machines used (made by ITT in 1969), so you can still expect a bit of output noise in there."

I've only noticed that noise in quiet damp sounds (very low cutoff freq) and it's by no means remarkable. It even adds character to the sound.

Unfortunately I've had no time to record any samples, just to take a few rush photos.

I have been told that further information and samples will be posted soon at http://www.synthoma.net, so stay tuned if you're interested.
Last edited by audible on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:22 am

How much will it cost?

What type of signal levels is it built for - guitar or instrument/mic?
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:05 am

Don't take my word for it, because it's in the very final stages of production and testing, but probably around 350€.

The unit I tested had a single line level input. I don't know if an adaptation for guitar input is possible, I'll ask for it.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Very interesting...and good price ! :D
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Is this based off of Jurgen Haible's tri-chorus PCB he did recently?

cheers,
Ian

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:02 pm

aeon wrote:Is this based off of Jurgen Haible's tri-chorus PCB he did recently?
I didn't know about that unit, and I'm not sure whether Sergio knows about it. Although I guess the concept is similar, he built the Élkorus from scratch and has been working intermittently on this project for two years. I'm not tech savvy so I can't tell you what the exact differences are. I'm getting my unit tomorrow and I'll be pleased to post some samples regardless Sergio's site is updated or not.
Last edited by audible on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:29 am

Samples? Yes, pleeeease! :) If the price is around 300 euros, I'm very interested in one...
aeon wrote:Is this based off of Jurgen Haible's tri-chorus PCB he did recently?
...or one of these, if someone has one for sale... I suck at soldering.

- CM

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Finally got my Élkorus. S/N #0002 :) I've got some samples for you to judge it:

On a Nord Modular G2 emulation of the ARP Solina (original patch -including digital chorus emulation- created by FlowerP and posted in electro-music.com). Standard Solina emulation on the Élkorus.

1-vco sawtooth wave from the Korg Mono/Poly.

4-vco sawtooth wave from the Korg Mono/Poly.

Korg Mono/Poly arpeggio. Fiddling with the pan & level settings on all three delay lines.

Korg Mono/Poly lead with x-mod. Fiddling with frequency settings on both LFOs.

Oberheim Matrix-1000 pad.

Another Matrix-1000 pad with deeper modulation.

Clean guitar. Tremolo-like effect.

Clean guitar, post-processed. Élkorus -> Small Stone -> digital delay.

Distorted guitar, post-processed with tape echo. Very muddy.

Some more pics:

Last edited by audible on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:21 pm

That is very nice indeed. Lovely bit of kit. 8)

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Sounds lovely...wish I had the coin right now.

Hehe, like I need *another* analog chorus unit! :roll:

cheers,
Ian

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:15 am

Very cool...really. So the first sound bit (with the Nord Modular G2 ARP Solina emulation) is with or without Elkorus ? Or is it ONLY the Nord Modular, solina emulation chorus programmed on the Nord Modular too ?

Cause it's sound allmost dead on like a solina chorus...

mmmhhh. i'm very interested if your friend will build some modules ! :wink:

I'm looking since a long time for a Solina Chorus module. Or a solina String Ensemble...but the price are exagerated here !
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:58 am

spookyman wrote:So the first sound bit (with the Nord Modular G2 ARP Solina emulation) is with or without Elkorus ? Or is it ONLY the Nord Modular, solina emulation chorus programmed on the Nord Modular too ?
The original G2 patch had a superb 'built-in' Solina chorus emulation, but I turned that part off and got the 'virgin' sound through the Élkorus. The first 22 seconds are unprocessed and from sec 23 onwards the sound is processed with the Élkorus only. At the very end you can hear the LFOs going into the audio range.
spookyman wrote:mmmhhh. i'm very interested if your friend will build some modules ! :wink:

Glad you liked it. I'll keep an eye on his website and keep you informed when 'official' information appears (final price, complete specs, delivery etc). Btw I don't get any comission for doing so, I just think that it's a h**l of a good product that deserves to be known, and I'll pass all opinions on to him.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:58 pm

That sounds great - it's a lot like the ensemble effect on the Logan stringer too.

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:23 pm

Site updated.

http://www.synthoma.net/productos.html

Final price tag: 390€ excl. VAT & shipping.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:03 pm

Final price tag: 390€ excl. VAT & shipping.
Not bad at all :shock: .