lofi sound stuff

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

lofi sound stuff

Post by BlackGnosis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:43 am

I am interested in programs or inexpensive equipment that will allow me to record with a "lofi" sound, Think apollo 8 or old police scanners recordings.

Computer programs especially freebies would be most useful since I intend to take my recordings and tinker with it and load it onto my sampler. I'm tempted to get a scanner and sit there with a recording button on to catch a good voice clippit but that takes forever.

Just for those who cant quite place the recording to a modern song... VNV Nation used this sound bit for their song Genises.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: lofi sound stuff

Post by JSRockit » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:49 pm

Recording with a lo-fi sound? A cheap 4-track cassette recorder and some cassettes that have been used way too many times.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:01 pm

oo

I agree with JSRockit -- 4-tracking is a great way to go.

I record 4-track demos on my ZOOM MRS-4B (which has only 32 kHz sampling rate). A careful recording on this device sounds CD quality to my ear, but I can also make it sound like early stereo -- circa 1967 -- or a.m. radio (which I use to add character to the organ patches on my CASIO MT-70).

I take these finished recordings and add a track to a larger project in Digital Performer. The result is lo-fi hardware fun integrated within a contemporary digital DAW recording.

:)

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

synthesizerist

Post by synthesizerist » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:35 pm

Definitely, cassette decks are the best way to get that lo fi sound. And make sure everything's in the red. If you're coming from a digital background, you can finally let your hair down. I've quite a few times recorded parts on a cassette and dump it to an 8 track so I can have specific lo-fi sounding tracks. I've also recorded vocals with a green bullet for that blown out effect (although you can blow them out on the tape machine in the red too- just a different sounding lo-fi sound) and I just read in Tape Op about some mics ( I think they're made by one of the dude's in the Terrible Twos) that are made out of old telephones that sound interesting that I was thinking of picking up for an effect mic.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:32 am

synthesizerist wrote:Definitely, cassette decks are the best way to get that lo fi sound. And make sure everything's in the red. If you're coming from a digital background, you can finally let your hair down. I've quite a few times recorded parts on a cassette and dump it to an 8 track so I can have specific lo-fi sounding tracks. I've also recorded vocals with a green bullet for that blown out effect (although you can blow them out on the tape machine in the red too- just a different sounding lo-fi sound) and I just read in Tape Op about some mics ( I think they're made by one of the dude's in the Terrible Twos) that are made out of old telephones that sound interesting that I was thinking of picking up for an effect mic.
F the green bullet. There are tons of nice carbon and crystal element mics out there waiting for you for much cheaper. f**k that phone c**p too, it just sounds bad, and not in a good way, unless you invest a lot of work into it.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:39 am

Yeah, I put a mid 50's crystal element in a Nady harmonica mic body a few months ago, which makes for a smoking lo-fi mic for bugger all money. Nothing below 300Hz, almost nothing above 8.5K, and the world's biggest 7K lump. It cuts through the mix with all the subtlety of a chainsaw.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:12 am

Not many software solutions other them sampling at a really low rate? what about old studio equipmnt?
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:45 am

there are approximately one million different ways of getting a lofi sound. for free plugs that do it, check out

http://www.smartelectronix.com/

otherwise try experimenting with whatever you've got lying around in your studio. you know headphones plugged into a preamp work as crappy mics? try running whatever you want lofi'd through a speaker with your headphones taped to the front of it and record what comes out of the headphones. make a contact mic out of one of those cheap piezo buzzers wired up to a 1/4" jack. get creative. make up your own technique. :thumbleft:

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:57 am

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Speakerp ... movie.html

If your willing to work with software, speakerphone is probably the best way to go.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:04 am

I think it is cute when kids have to ask how to be lofi. I knew of no other kind of fi for years!
Really, that Stephen turd from Pavement just to ask me how I made everything sound like c**p, then he would sell my secrets to those Royal Trux f**k!

:oops:

toad

Post by toad » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:07 am

Suburban Bather wrote:http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Speakerp ... movie.html

If your willing to work with software, speakerphone is probably the best way to go.
€ 470.05 inc VAT!!! wow... hi-fi lo-fi

as said before, there are millions of ways to be lofi for free.
i don't think it's worth the trouble to intentionally strive for a lofi sound while recording, if you're going to f**k it up with processing anyway. just record it as you would normally.
for software, try a parametric eq, some kind of overdrive/distortion, a bitcruscher/decimator + some reverb
you can also use a free convolution reverb such as SIR, and load impulses of speakers or mics into it.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:40 am

BlackGnosis wrote:record with a "lofi" sound
the downgrade version of your DR sampler would do it nicely :wink:
BlackGnosis wrote:Computer programs especially freebies would be most useful since I intend to take my recordings and tinker with it and load it onto my sampler
I currently like to play with the free Proteus VX soft synth, the spmulator alone worth to catch.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

synthesizerist

Post by synthesizerist » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:58 pm

tallowwaters wrote:f**k that phone c**p too, it just sounds bad, and not in a good way, unless you invest a lot of work into it.
Tape Op gave them a good review. They're called Bing Carbon Microphones, so I guess I'm talking about the same thing you're saying are better? Have you tried them?

Different folks, I guess, I love the green bullet sound- it's just impossible to do live because of the feedback.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:00 pm

synthesizerist wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:f**k that phone c**p too, it just sounds bad, and not in a good way, unless you invest a lot of work into it.
Tape Op gave them a good review. They're called Bing Carbon Microphones, so I guess I'm talking about the same thing you're saying are better? Have you tried them?

Different folks, I guess, I love the green bullet sound- it's just impossible to do live because of the feedback.
you are probably talking about those 100 dollar carbon mics that take phantom power, and those look nice. I am talking about when people reverse the wires - I have tried 3 phones this way, sucks.

I like the green bullet sound as well, I am simply saying there are cheaper ways to do it and it can sound even better. Old CB mics are a dime a dozen and sound fantastic.

toad

Post by toad » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:08 pm

I was bored and looked up some free s**t for you... there's tons more but these should get you started:

http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/ -->free vst plugins, all of them are good, but in this case, try Time machine and Ferox
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2920.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2148.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1147.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/657.html