lofi sound stuff

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
aeon

Re: lofi sound stuff

Post by aeon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:A trick I use a bit to get softsynths sounding a bit more real is to bus them out to an BBD delay with the feedback set to 0 and the mix to 100% wet. Adjusting the delay time changes how lofied the signal gets, but you have to remember to move the track back into time after you record it back because the delay causes the signal to be delayed, surprisingly enough. If you don't have an analogue delay try it with some other effect. Guitar pedals are great for this kind of stuff.
Yep! A great trick indeed.

Another pedal trick is to send the track to a clean boost pedal that is pushed, then to a transformer DI and then into your mic pre of choice. The effect can range from subtle to colored, but it is never sterile.

cheers,
Ian

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:48 pm

I can't find any info on this online, but at your local walmart in the toys section look for a "yadda yadda yadda" sampler. It's a little box smaller than a deck of cards. You hit "Say", record a couple seconds, then there is a potentiometer on the bottom for controlling the playback pitch. Just need to solder in I/O jacks and you've got a great lofi sampler. Get 2 so you can resample in sequence, and while you're at it try shorting the pins of the one capacitor sticking off the board for a crazy distortion circuit bend (found it last night, at least on the Rev. A board.. I have a few of the newer boards and am not sure what I will find on it)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:32 am

that avatar is giving me a seizure, thomas.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:19 am

Old CB mics are a dime a dozen and sound fantastic.

so true- just cup your hands for different width-strangling effects- fyi in most cases you'll have to splice a new jack or replace the cable to get it to work w/ a mixer/interface.
running stuff through amps and then mic'ing the output is good as well.
if you go w/ 4 track remember that beautiful pitch knob- play faster, then slow down or vice-versa.
get an old tape recorder and use the internal mic- its really quite endless.
old 12 bit samplers, toys, wrinkling up cassette tape...

also-
Ohm force had a free plug-in called fromage that was somewhat lo-fi in character when tweaked.
sell me your KS5!

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:06 pm

th0mas wrote:I can't find any info on this online, but at your local walmart in the toys section look for a "yadda yadda yadda" sampler. It's a little box smaller than a deck of cards. You hit "Say", record a couple seconds, then there is a potentiometer on the bottom for controlling the playback pitch. Just need to solder in I/O jacks and you've got a great lofi sampler. Get 2 so you can resample in sequence, and while you're at it try shorting the pins of the one capacitor sticking off the board for a crazy distortion circuit bend (found it last night, at least on the Rev. A board.. I have a few of the newer boards and am not sure what I will find on it)
a yakbak?
so what do I put down here now?

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:02 am

Anyone ever mess with routing stuff through VHS tape? I've kinda been messing with it to see what happens.. My player/recorder has no manual controls but it seems to have an auto limiter built in. Kinda rounds out sounds and or mixes..

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:53 am

I thought it would be quite self explanatory....

if you want a cheap crappy sound, find some cheap crappy stuff and play around with it =D>
Monkey business since 2007!

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:34 pm

get an octave pedal that does octave-up and get an octave pedal that does octave-down. Turn them both to 100% wet one after the other. That ought to f**k something up.
so what do I put down here now?

unklekarma
Band: unklekarma

Post by unklekarma » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:05 am

Cassettedeck s as mentioned...

But I like to sample my NES, Gameboy, C64 and Amiga500.
http://www.justastudio.net - The Playground (Project)
http://www.namoffers.com - Affiliate marketing (Work)

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Sexor wrote:I thought it would be quite self explanatory....

if you want a cheap crappy sound, find some cheap crappy stuff and play around with it =D>

i think when people talk about 'lo-fi', they mean old sounding, rather than c**p

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:22 pm

dddoherty@hotmail.com wrote:i think when people talk about 'lo-fi', they mean old sounding, rather than c**p
Nah, you're thinking of "vintage". Lo-fi should sound...well "lo-fi", although not necessarily c**p - just lacking definition, detail.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:23 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
dddoherty@hotmail.com wrote:i think when people talk about 'lo-fi', they mean old sounding, rather than c**p
Nah, you're thinking of "vintage". Lo-fi should sound...well "lo-fi", although not necessarily c**p - just lacking definition, detail.
fair enough

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:16 pm

I think a hundred different people mean a hundred different things when they say lo-fi. It's a pretty vague term, in use.

However, given that its literal meaning is low fidelity, I'd say c**p is closer to the mark than old. :wink:
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:35 pm

yeah, and i suppose 'c**p' is a pretty vague term in use too.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 pm

I just finished modding a kid's "voice morpher" unit.. it sells around halloween for ~$10, has a mic and speaker.. usually it has "alien", and a few different "pitch shifters" or weird ringmod effects. I removed the speaker and mic and replaced it with instrument in/outs.. makes an awesome cheapo distortion pedal