Monitors: Time-domain vs frequency response opinions?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Alex Hamilton

Monitors: Time-domain vs frequency response opinions?

Post by Alex Hamilton » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:48 pm

There's an interesting article about NS10s in this month's SOS; the preview can be found here (either buy the mag, the article, or wait until next year to read it all):

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/a ... hans10.htm

In it, it highlights the importance of time-domain response in speakers, which is something I never really knew about; reading it, I got the impression that time-domain response is actually more important than frequency response - if you know your monitors are bass heavy (as is the case with many modern speakers), you can at least compensate for it in your mix, which obviously isn't ideal, but if you listen to lots of other music on it you'll get an idea of how yours should sound - whereas if time-domain response is innacurate, everything from stereo accuracy to relative phase of frequencies from the same instrument is going to be f**k up.

I've never used any monitors apart from my Alesis M1 Active MkIIs (that I listen to music on as well), which are known to have a hyped bass, so I was wondering what other people's opinions are on the relative importance of time-domain vs frequency responses, as I know that there are many people here who have a lot of experience in mixing, with a wide variety of equipment. Is time-domain response the barely-spoken of, quiet brother that should be covered much more extensively by manufacturers' guides, or is the frequency response chart still the most important? The article certainly says the former...