odd little question...what're you letting master your setup?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

odd little question...what're you letting master your setup?

Post by space6oy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:18 am

i'm always switching things in & out of my setup, and what's controlling everything's tempo is always changing... have messed w/ letting my computer run it when i'm recording sometimes, just because that way i can go back in and record more tracks w/o any little BPM discrepancies, but that feels a little awkward, at least thus far...

i like letting my 909 run things since i can jump tempos in a flash. elektrons are great (and more accurate) for that too.

so i'm curious, if your focus is on sequencing gear like mine is, what're you letting run the chain, and why?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Re: odd little question...what're you letting master your setup?

Post by wiss » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:43 am

oops
Last edited by wiss on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:47 am

i guess mainly because i'm curious about how many people are using computers to control their other gear. i don't often change tempos within one song but am thinking about messing w/ that. some things make it easy, some make it very awkward.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:49 am

I don't tempo sync anything at the moment. The sync out of Live is jittery so isn't worth using, stuff sounds better without it. Running arps on the V-Synth or MEK you have to play in time anyway, so I find that just setting the tempo to the same number as my track is good enough. Syncing the XL-7 and the computer is the only thing I'd use sync for at the moment, and I haven't found a way that works properly yet. I find that I usually use Live or the XL-7, not really ever both at the same time.

I don't think I've done a track with a tempo change in it ever, so that isn't something I've had to deal with. :)

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:53 am

Akai MPC 2500 is the center piece.

why?

1. quick access to different drum kits I use, tired of a pile of drum machines
2. I sample myself, then I will loop it to figure out the BMP, structure it, and so on (My music changed when I upgraded from the 60 to 2500....very dramatic change)
3. the ability to sequence other gear
4. 1-3 can be quickly uploaded to my computer for storage and quickly downloaded when i decided to work on it

I have recorded maybe 2 or 3 songs that the tempo does not change. My computer is just a fancy multi-tracker, it does not control any external devices. Tempo Change is a real non issue when linking sequences with the mpc
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:45 pm

Monomachine...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

kraku
Gear: genoQs Machines Nemo
Eurorack modular
Future Retro XS
Novation Supernova 2 Pro Keyboard
Kurzweil PC161
Rode K2
ESP EC-400
Ibanez SR-900
Band: Aflecht / Diesel UFO

Post by kraku » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:10 pm

First you need to know the following to see all this information in the right context: I only record audio into the computer. Never MIDI data.

Currently Nemo is running all the gear most of the time (I sometimes play live). I do two kind of sequencing:
1. Lots of different instrument parts playing together at the same time (drums, bass, lead, etc.) which are recorded in to the computer at the same time (on different audio tracks).
2. Single instrument part playing alone (I do this to record different audio loops/snippets into my computer while arranging songs).

Sometimes I might write a drum-loop/drum-roll/drum-fill using my MPC1000 and it's own sequencer and then record the audio into Logic or Live.

I'm looking into using my upcoming EMX-1 the way I described above how I sometimes use MPC1000. This I will use for synth sounds/loops and I'll probably use lots of realtime tweaking while recording the audio. I imagine Ableton Live will be a great companion for this hardware while recording and arranging stuff on the computer.
Misspellers of the world, unit!

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:54 pm

Sequentix P3 is master for live work and studio improvs, otherwise I use my AW16G clock as master if I'm doing any multi-track recording as it is pretty solid
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 am

man, this thread is 180˚ from the way i work. my mac & mtp AVs run everything.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:19 am

I do it two ways:
1. establish the BPM within my DAW and record live instruments to the click. I'll usually then add something programmed from Reason into it later; or
2. I program something into Reason and record it into my DAW, adding instruments later.

I have no MIDI sequencer. If it's not within Reason it's played by hand. I'd say only about 15% of any given song of mine is programmed.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:22 am

Everything's synced to my Soundscape DAW in my studio; I run Reaper as a sequencer using ASIO sync out of Soundscape, then midi goes out to everything from there. If I need midi clock for whatever reason (like converting to DIN sync) then I'll often just run a midi cable directly out the back of the Soundscape unit itself, which saves me having to stuff about with Reaper menus.

Usually I'll need to shove audio tracks backward or forward a couple of milliseconds to line them up properly after recording sequenced parts, but that's no great drama.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:18 pm

Hands, fingers, eyes, skin, nose, and ears.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:09 pm

Writing, sequencing, practicing with the band: My Fantom is the master. But I always switch to the computer to record.

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:55 am

As of right now Im using my korg kp3 as the master for my tempo, and my rm1x as the master for my start/stop messages, I use it to sequence my other gear (v synth, nord g1/g2), but I had to stop doing that for now (live anyways), until the Spectralis's OS is complete.

As of now, you cant turn the MIDI channels OFF on the spectralis, so I cant send any sequences thru it to other synths, otherwise the spectralis will read them as well.
I cant use my spectralis as a master either, as It cant send a MIDI clock as of yet

so right now, my live setup is pretty minimal, which is OK with me, as Im still learning the spectralis, inside and out...getting there, but I still feel as if I have a long way to go

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:27 am

currently using a MD UW as the centerpiece...but my set up is rather minimal...

The 2500 idea Wiss floated by sounds pretty solid..

I am curious about JS rockin the MnM...

I won't say never, but I get sooooo bored with using a computer as an instrument/sequencer...I am sure it would be infinitely more powerful/complex, but I just can't do it, but I spend close to 10-12 hours a day doing design on a machine...audio is a way of doing something different...