odd little question...what're you letting master your setup?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: odd little question...what're you letting master your setup?

Post by space6oy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:48 am

i'd almost forgotten about this thread...

thanks to a nice yamaha YME8 midi through splitter, i just tore my whole rig apart and am rearranging, seeing how it goes sending midi from both pro tools and a piece of hardware to the two ins yet sending thrus back to both and using its switches to go back & forth on what's running the show... haven't read up on it, but i'm hoping pro tools can deal with something telling it to change tempo real time during a recording. would be awesome if one piece of hardware could make tempo adjustments during an initial take then have pro tools keep track of that and tell gear to keep up on overdubs.

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:23 pm

In order of use - I hardly use the E-mu for clock anymore:
  1. My Mac
  2. Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1UW
  3. Elektron Monomachine SFX-6
  4. E-mu XL-7
I have used a Yamaha QX3 a couple of times, but I was just pretending it was the 80s again.

cheers,
Ian

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:45 pm

I always compose music thinking on the live performance. So I say:

If I spend time like a DJ, mixing the audio output, you know, playing with the low, mid and high gains for each channel, monitoring this synth with headphones, etc.... I won't be able to tweak my synths!!!

So on each sound, on each wave of each patch, on each sample gaining and frequency, I equalize and work on detail, so each sound and patch will be compatible with all the sound stream of the whole machines setup.

So:

I don't use mixers. I carefully work each patch and sound to have a whole good general sound. I use synths like the EMU XL 7, Waldorf Q, Korg Electribes, Rolands V SYNTH and SP 808, etc.

I try to mix different labels that have their own inherent characteristics in order to enhance the variety of mixtures of the overall sound.

And, everything is controlled by TWO COMMAND STATIONS on the middle of the setup, acting like the two sides of a brain
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma