Live 7 vs Pro Tools. I need help.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Live 7 vs Pro Tools. I need help.

Post by Untouchable_888 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:19 pm

HEY GUYS! I am back. I was gone for a while, in case anyone noticed..

I need some help, though, at my college, i am friends with someone in the music department, and i talked him into getting a DAW, so now all i need is to help him decide which one to get. I prefer Live 7 over Pro Tools (though i have little xperience with PT) and i need to sell him on Live 7. Any ideas or input from either side? I just think that Live 7 is easier to use. Thanks for the help in advance!!
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Re: Live 7 vs Pro Tools. I need help.

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:40 pm

I don't like the fact that you have to use Digidesign's own audio interfaces for Pro Tools (the ones that "cheaper" can me like afford are the Digi Rack 00X systems, and they are nowhere near as good as the high-end systems like the HD, in my opinion). However, I do enjoy Pro Tools' sequencer, DAW layout in general, and you can also get a bunch of cool plug-ins.

Live 7 is nice, but I personally am not a big fan of its sequencer. I have used it on many occasions and made a few songs, but I ultimately decided that it was not for me. It's much better for live applications (I'm serious), in my opinion. You can also use any audio interface you want, which is cool.

Out of these, I would have to go with Pro Tools, but only if you have the high-end systems. Why not look at other DAWs, like Cubase 4/SX3 or Logic Pro 7/8? I like both better than Live or Pro Tools. h**l, I even like FL Studio (for Windows) over Live and PT. You might also want to look into Digital Performer. I personally can't get into it (it's so confusing to me), but I know people who swear by it.

But hey, that's just me.

fierywater
Gear: Software you probably don't care much about :)

Post by fierywater » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:42 pm

What kind of music is he working with? Is it for composing, mixing, mastering, all three? These things make a difference. :)

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:07 am

Keep in mind that NRPNs, Sysex, a ton of audio editing abilities amongst other things are vacant from live.
This means if your friend is working with hardware, he may run into issues with live, notably if he works with hardware.

That said, Live is great for what it is.

Untouchable_888
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar

Post by Untouchable_888 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:35 am

Thank you for movign this whoever did. i was not sure where to put it. Regardless, yes, composing, mixing and mastering. I have never had a problem with composing. and i use a mixer for mixing. i have never tried to master.

so LIVE is c**p if i want to do all three? I have used the line in into my FireOne right to Live. And never a problem. What else should I look for?
What is the real ease of use for pro tools? i had trouble with it.. and this is PC based, btw. and i doubt anyone will use MIDI, so midi timing is not a concern. So should we go with Cubase or Sonar?
A.D.I.D.A.S.

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

Untouchable_888
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar

Post by Untouchable_888 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:40 am

fierywater wrote:What kind of music is he working with?
It would be used for almost every application thinkable. it is a college. So anyone could use it. i would use it for my music. both goth and industrial. others would use it for jazz, still others classical. it would be used for recording (both direct and through a mic) and some editing afterwords if need be.
A.D.I.D.A.S.

Untouchable_888
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar

Post by Untouchable_888 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:45 am

is this decent: Korg - D888?
A.D.I.D.A.S.

fierywater
Gear: Software you probably don't care much about :)

Post by fierywater » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:46 am

Honestly, I'd have to suggest something like Pro Tools or Cubase then. Live has a workflow that is very conducive to loop-based music, but it may throw people doing classical/jazz/etc for a real loop (no pun intended). :)

I have nothing negative to say about Live, I think it's a great program, but I think PT or Cubase would be better for a college's general-use DAW. Pro Tools is also what students are most likely to run into if they start recording professionally. Experience with it can't be anything but helpful.

Untouchable_888
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar

Post by Untouchable_888 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:54 am

okay. things to think about. thanks.
A.D.I.D.A.S.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:01 am

I use both Live and PT, it sounds like for this application either PT or Logic would be the way to go. But more important than the software is having someone who knows how to use it, find one of those first. :thumbleft:

Untouchable_888
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar

Post by Untouchable_888 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm

is there a site where i can view side by side comparisons? i dont want to limit myself. our ourselves, rather.
i mean it could be SAW studio for all i care, i just want it to fit our needs.
A.D.I.D.A.S.

Hair

Post by Hair » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:29 am

Live is pretty much best as a sketchpad and for jamming around tweaking ideas, improvising arranging song structures on the fly, it has decent DAW functionality, but definitely nowhere as deep as PT or Logic.

PT is pretty much the standard for working with real instruments, recording tracks that have conventional acoustic and electric instruments and arrangments. Logic seems really badass for sequencing more electronic things, yet still really powerful for the "conventional" stuff too, I'd definitely look into it.

donpepperoni

Post by donpepperoni » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:04 am

I have both Pro Tools LE and Live 7 and to be honest they are both good. I think Pro Tools definetely has better sound quality but Live is just so much fun and easy to come up with ideas. I think if you can have both and your computer is decent, it is best to run Live through Rewire as a Slave to Pro Tools. If your processor can't run both, start the project in Live and do your processing in Pro Tools. :)

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:37 am

I'm going to agree with the PT crowd, since it seems like Live is really designed for loops, which is pretty limiting.
Don- what exactly do you mean when you say PT sounds better?
virb.com/ookpikk

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:20 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:Don- what exactly do you mean when you say PT sounds better?
Not directed to me but I know exactly what he means.

The mix buss in Live (I still use version 6, 7 might be better) doesn't seem to have much headroom, and mixes come out sounding kind of mooshy, if you know what I mean. When we're working on tracks we usually start off in Live getting the structure together, putting in softsynths etc. then bounce all tracks individually and put them into PT. Maybe it's something to do with Live's offline bouncing vs. PT's realtime bouncing, but you really can hear the difference.