Delay pedal for synths??? Moog? Memory Lane? etc...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Delay pedal for synths??? Moog? Memory Lane? etc...

Post by Carey M » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm done with rack-fx. I tried a few, I sold them all. I need knobs!

So, I'm looking for an analog (or analog-ish) delay pedal. I'll mainly be using it inline with my MidiMini, maybe occasionally as a send effect in my line mixer. The thing is, I can never quite make up my mind over what to get (no s**t)... All I know is, I need a great sounding delay, with a great interface that is suitable for line level signals.

I'd like to hear from any experiences regarding analog (or analog-ish) delay pedals you've used with your synths.

At the moment I'm looking at the Moog MF-104Z, Diamond Memory Lane 2 and the digital(!) Empress Super Delay (from the demos, I rather liked the tape -emulation, and the interface looks better than any other digital, and the 2x reverse setting is exciting)

All rather expensive pedals, but I haven't found any other that seem suitable for my purposes. So, any recommendations will be appreciated. Things I love, in order of priority: great (analogue) sound, delay modulation, tap tempo, expression pedal inputs, warranty. Things I don't like: too mushy or dark repeats, bad analogue emulation, line6 :)

- CM

esqoner

Re: Delay pedal for synths??? Moog? Memory Lane? etc...

Post by esqoner » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:35 pm

i used to have a boss dd20.

i liked it. has a 23 second loop (with overdub function).

fairly cheap on ebay.

no other pedals for me to compare it to...

has a tap tempo..with foot...
the little green buttons make the little

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:01 pm

The Boss RE-20 Space Echo is good, and though it's an emulation, it's a nice-sounding one. Plenty cheaper than the Murf, so you could spend the change on another one...

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:13 pm

The Eventide Time Factor is pretty amazing, and offers a lot of variety.
virb.com/ookpikk

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:59 pm

So far, my favorite is the Ibanez AD202. It isn't a pedal, however there is a knob for every function and there is a push/pull knob (the volume knob) to switch between different level types. An amazing piece of kit for sure. You can get those for much cheaper than most of the options you listed. However with that being said, I'm considering purchasing the Moog 104z because, of what people claim, its crisp delays and for its feedback loop.
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Carey M wrote:I'm done with rack-fx. I tried a few, I sold them all. I need knobs!
Symetrix 606 is an awesome-sounding rack delay with knobs, dual-engines, and resonant, multimode filters. :wink:
Carey M wrote:So, I'm looking for an analog (or analog-ish) delay pedal. I'll mainly be using it inline with my MidiMini, maybe occasionally as a send effect in my line mixer. The thing is, I can never quite make up my mind over what to get (no s**t)... All I know is, I need a great sounding delay, with a great interface that is suitable for line level signals.
Suitability for line-level signals is in general not found in analog pedal devices, though they can be used with reamping.
Carey M wrote:I'd like to hear from any experiences regarding analog (or analog-ish) delay pedals you've used with your synths.
I have 3 analog delay pedals:
  • Diamond Memory Lane
  • Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
  • Moog MF-104SD
The Memory Lane is a clean analog delay whose repeats work great for ambience, but perhaps not as well in my experience for upfront delay tones. Tap tempo!

The EHX DMM is dirty and noisy, but this is part of its charm. Difficult to interface with synths or a mixer. Lovely character.

The Moog is just killer. Analog sound that can range from mid-fi to sludge, forward character, sweet modulation with the addition of a CP-251, CV control...if I could only have one, this would be my choice. The double-time control is great for octave-shift with long delays. Welcome drive tone. An aux loop! It just doesn't get much better in a pedal. Recommended.
Carey M wrote:So, any recommendations will be appreciated. Things I love, in order of priority: great (analogue) sound, delay modulation, tap tempo, expression pedal inputs, warranty. Things I don't like: too mushy or dark repeats, bad analogue emulation, line6 :)
Just in the interest of sound, I will suggest 2 more analog rack units: the Ibanez AD-202 and the Yamaha E1005/1010. I've used the Ibanez (and would like to own it) and I own the Yamaha E1005. The E1005 has the sound and very sweet modulation. Both have knobs.

Another pedal to consider that is getting some good reviews is the Skreddy Echo. I do not know how well it handles line-level.

Two more pedal considerations would have to be the Boss DD-20 and RE-20. Digital, yea, but they deliver good tone.

I have no comment on the Empress Superdelay itself, but I do own and use the Empress Trem, and the build of that pedal is tops. The modes on the Superdelay look nice, but line-level usage might be a problem.

In the end, I can't imagine you would regret the Moog. :D

cheers,
Ian

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital

Post by johans121 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:22 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:The Eventide Time Factor is pretty amazing, and offers a lot of variety.
I had a Time Factor for a little while. It was definitely a nice pedal, however it didn't jive with me very well, for the functionality I was looking for at the time. The delays were nice, for sure, however I thought that its feedback was really tame (compared to my other analog & digital units). To me it seemed more like a rythm tool than a oozy delay effect. For example, I think it is great to use with drum machines OR to synthesize various types of sounds, ala Karplus-Strong (if it had CV ins/outs with external feedback loop it would be PERFECT for my modular), but if you want liquid syrup that will take you to the outer reaches of the universe, this is not what you are looking for.

YMMV of course, and I'm not trying to tell you that you are dumb :) however, it's always nice to hear opposing view points when considering a purchase.... I actually considered purchasing it to put in front of my analog delays (which is something I thought of after it left my studio during the first go-round).

-Jim

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by johans121 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Carey M wrote:Things I love, in order of priority: great (analogue) sound, delay modulation, tap tempo, expression pedal inputs, warranty. Things I don't like: too mushy or dark repeats, bad analogue emulation, line6 :)
I will add that the AD202 has delay modulation, the initial repeats are distinct, and depending on how it is tuned you can get slap back, pinging, mushy, or ufo taking off & landing feedback, AND it is not a line6.

I can not recommend this thing enough if you are looking for an analog sounding delay - after all it is analog :)

One thing to keep in mind is that, in my experience, all BBD analog delays with any type of significant delay time (300ms+) will sound relatively dark compared to digital delays. Typically the longer the delay, the darker it is.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:16 pm

Wow. Thanks gang! You've given me a LOT more stuff to Google :) But also think I now have more clarity about what I want and need.
nathanscribe wrote:The Boss RE-20 Space Echo ... you could spend the change on another one...
Oh yeah! Almost forgot about the RE-20. Apparently it only has "tape warble" for modulation, but the tape-ish delay with tap tempo is a nice combo. And in a way, I do like your idea of getting two cheap (BBD+other) delays. How durable these Boss double pedals are? All metal enclosure?
GeneralBigbag wrote:The Eventide Time Factor is pretty amazing, and offers a lot of variety.
I've read a lot about the TF, listened to demos, etc., and I'm just not getting any vibes from it. Seems like a rack-unit stuck inside a stomp box. It has an alphanumerical display, for god's sake! :x :D
johans121 wrote:So far, my favorite is the Ibanez AD202. It isn't a pedal, however there is a knob for every function and there is a push/pull knob (the volume knob) to switch between different level types. An amazing piece of kit for sure.
Yes, the AD202. Really tasty looking rack-unit, along with Ian's suggested Yamaha E1005 and E1010. Although I love the pedal form factor, I can see myself getting one of these... If I could find one. I haven't seen any on the Finnish/EU market lately. I have to write these down...
aeon wrote:The Memory Lane is a clean analog delay whose repeats work great for ambience, but perhaps not as well in my experience for upfront delay tones. Tap tempo!
I had a chance to test a ML once, and that description fits it really well. It's a beautiful sound, IMO, and I really want that sound, but I'm thinking I want a more upfront delay sound first.
aeon wrote:I have no comment on the Empress Superdelay itself, but I do own and use the Empress Trem, and the build of that pedal is tops. The modes on the Superdelay look nice, but line-level usage might be a problem.
All I know is, that from the demos and hype, this is the only digital pedal I've ever gotten excited about :D But you guessed right about the headroom; I just received an email from Steve @ Empress, and according to him, the SD might need to be modded to work properly with hot line levels.
aeon wrote:The Moog is just killer. Analog sound that can range from mid-fi to sludge, forward character, sweet modulation
Am I correct in understanding, that the "short" setting offers clearer, brighter repeats than BBD delays usually do? That is how some of the demos sound, sort-of more tapelike sound, but you can't always be sure.

Although the Moog lacks tap tempo and out-of-the-box modulation, I really like the idea of interfacing it with other Moogerfoogers, like using the the Moog Phaser's LFO to modulate the Delay... Though that'd mean I'd have to get the phaser too :D Heh, that'd also spare you from my "What phaser to get??" posts :lol:

- CM

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Carey M wrote:How durable these Boss double pedals are? All metal enclosure?
I don't have one any more, but I reckon you could roll a tank driven by Hulk Hogan over those things. They're all metal save for the underside. I'm not a fan of Boss sounds in general, but I've never found any problems with build quality.

Boss have recently brought out a new DD7 delay, which is a single-stomp unit with loads of features. I haven't used one so can't give you any info as to its sound quality (magazines: 'It sounds great!' etc.) but the features certainly look impressive - it has a variety of analogue-simulating modes, as well as digital, reverse, modulation etc. - so I figured you should have a look. Much cheaper than your other options too (though the fact that you mentioned them suggests you're not too concerned with this).

Oh, and don't dismiss the Eventide just because of the alphanumerical display! Just put some black sticky tape over it :wink: . Demos are only demos...the sound of delays is always much better in person. TC Electronic have a similar unit.

Mr. Sound Boy King

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:25 pm

Pigtronix Echolution has a f**k of features & I think it can take a line level signal. If $ were not a factor over here, I'd already have one. Amazing box.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 am

I'm a bit of a delay fan, in the studio I've got an E1010, RE-20, DM-100, RC-20XL, Danelectro Reel Echo and a few other cheaper pedals. We were just about to buy an MF-104Z but then the price went up another $150 over here because of the poor dollar. I'm also planning on getting a Timefactor tomorrow, providing it sounds good when I have a play with it.

At the moment when I gig I run the Evolver through the RE-20. Sounds good on the whole except for a bit of a low-mid buildup which is more because of the Evolver than the RE-20. I'm looking to replace the RE-20 with the TF for these reasons:

It can do more stuff, the RE-20 does tape well but it can't do clean digital, reverse, looper etc.
I can save preset patches on it. A lot of the stuff I play has the delay as an integral part of the sound so I have to make sure I get the time exactly right before the song starts. With the TF I can just recall the preset and I know it's right.
The TF tape delay has variable wow, flutter and hiss. The RE-20 sounds like a well maintained RE-201. I'd like to be able to mess it up a bit more and you can't on the RE-20, one of my favourite things about tape echo is dirty warped old tape that drops out.

I'll give you a full report on the Timefactor tomorrow, pity I can't word you up on the MF-104 too. I think they're the two top delay pedals out there at the moment, although the Moog almost sounds too clean to my ears for an analogue delay. The aux loop and the octave-able switch make up for it though.

Johans121: Did you have OS2 on your Timefactor? Apparently they upped the maximum feedback to 110% in the new OS because there were a few people who thought it didn't get crazy enough. I'll be checking this out, I want to be able to make the sound of a UFO taking off with it. :D

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by johans121 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:15 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Johans121: Did you have OS2 on your Timefactor? Apparently they upped the maximum feedback to 110% in the new OS because there were a few people who thought it didn't get crazy enough. I'll be checking this out, I want to be able to make the sound of a UFO taking off with it. :D
No sir, I had one of the first ones that were released in the USA. I had no clue a new OS was even released yet. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions after checking it out. The weak feedback was my biggest complaint. When I say weak, I am referring to:
1) The lack of self oscillation (UFO takeoff/landing) - couldn't get the pitch shifting I was looking for
2) The volume died a lot quicker than I would have expected - for example, while in PingPong mode, I only remember getting a few bounces from side to side, even on the highest feedback settings - there was no 'endless melody' to be found.
3) The BBD repeat model kinda sucked - repeats didn't get darker as the delay times increased as I anticipated, I could never make it sound 'gooey'

BUT, other than that it is a great box - like I said, it makes for an excellent rhythm tool. The repeats were nice and clear, it's stereo, accepts line levels, and you can sync it to midi.... If v2.0 resolved the issues I mentioned, it would definitely be a no brainer. But if not, then I'll continue to weigh my options between the 104z and the Modcan Digital Delay.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:42 am

I shall report on all those things, as they're some of the most important things in a delay for me too. The fact that the OS can be updated on the TF is another big thing for me.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:50 am

lots of good suggestions & possibilities, so i'll just toss in that i wasn't thrilled by my 104z. yes it's analog & quality... but incredibly overpriced & uninteresting beyond that. was also very disappointed in the danelectro reel echo. boss delays are nice for digitals but kind of limited in interactivity compared to others.

delays i've held on to:
roland RE-201
line 6 echo pro
line 6 DL-4
EHX memory man
electrix MO-FX

another tape echo i'd like to try is a hiwatt custom. they're also controllable via pedal.