Small Mixers And Synths

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Re: Small Mixers And Synths

Post by drawtippy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:43 pm

Looks like the original pic was posted by a Newbie in our forum and picked up by Analog Industries. Here is the link in "how bout some pics of your set up":

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... start=7995

Maybe we can ask him what he thinks is wrong with his set up?
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:53 am

So is Analogue Industries an offshoot of Gearslutz?

One day I'm going to get one of those new custom Neve consoles, and then hire Carsten Schippmann and Hermann Gillis to make me a patchable filter insert for each channel, and then I will run it into some sort of clearer-than-clear ADC which makes Lavry look like an M-Audio Mobilepre (which I feel entirely justified in slagging off, since I had one and never discovered that there were frequencies above 15khz until I switched, to a firebox of all things).
That's when I will have my mixer.
virb.com/ookpikk

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
I think the reason people get annoyed about people doing stuff like that is that there are people out there with Jupiter 8s and Serges and Andromedas that buy them cause they need to have the best sounding thing, and then post on internet forums about how good it sounds, and they're running them through Behringer mixers and cheap headphones, or a pair of M1 mkIIs with one speaker on top of their bookshelf and the other under their desk. Sure you can hear the basic tonal qualities of a synth through a playback system like that but you miss the detail that makes them sound great and that's the thing that makes them cost so much. I'm sure you'd get a similar response on a guitarist forum if you bought a vintage Jag or something and then just ran it through a little battery-powered practise amp....
True, but add a treated room to the mix to really hear everything... I have good monitors, but my room sucks, so I'm not really hearing everything either.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:55 pm

The most obvious problem with this picture is that the synths are only being used to play Limp Bizkit covers...
Monkey business since 2007!

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:32 pm

I wish someone had told me about 5 years ago that good converters, monitors, and headphones were worth every penny spent on them. I guess it's a hard sell, since, unlike some big fancy synth, telling someone that buying a decent set of monitors will 'let you hear everything', doesn't sound that exciting...
I suppose it's because of the way I work (the serious post-processing), but I don't give two shits about mixers, since I literally just need it to let me hear all of my gear at the same time.
virb.com/ookpikk

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:06 am

Zamise wrote:Ahh your right stabby, no monitors, not even to listen to the crappy mixer ;) There is what is wrong with the pic.
Good point, although in some situations headphones are just more appropriate - i.e. a shared flat/apartment or a modern house will paper-thin walls. Since I still live with my parents I generally don't use my monitors unless I'm mixing (or at least attempting to). I mean for me there is no benefit to using speakers over cans when tracking/trying out ideas and I'm sure others may feel the same.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:36 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
Zamise wrote:Ahh your right stabby, no monitors, not even to listen to the crappy mixer ;) There is what is wrong with the pic.
Good point, although in some situations headphones are just more appropriate - i.e. a shared flat/apartment or a modern house will paper-thin walls. Since I still live with my parents I generally don't use my monitors unless I'm mixing (or at least attempting to). I mean for me there is no benefit to using speakers over cans when tracking/trying out ideas and I'm sure others may feel the same.
Thats a lot of my problem, using decent to good headphones lets me hear my stuff a lot better I think then what most others would hear, you've got to have crappy stuff too, cause others have crappy stuff, and sometimes it will sound great on the good stuff but like c**p on the crappy stuff, but if you can get it to sound good on the crappy stuff it'll probably blow you away on the good stuff. Did that make any sense what I just said? I'm not sure I understood it myself, I hope I know what I meant.

You can have $50k of gear too, but its not like they bought it all at once usually either, its a bunch of $500 to $1500 maybe more on occasion they've been collecting over a long time, you shouldn't expect that kind of home or bedroom studio to have $3,000+ mixing console like a professional or comercial studio. The poor mixer fits in, in that picture in my opinion. I can remember using a DJ mixer for a while with my setup. They do need a rompler synth and a pair of chunky monitors with subs that will suck their apartment dwelling into a giant crack that registers on the richter scale, and a disco ball.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:17 am

Zamise wrote:Thats a lot of my problem, using decent to good headphones lets me hear my stuff a lot better I think then what most others would hear, you've got to have crappy stuff too, cause others have crappy stuff, and sometimes it will sound great on the good stuff but like c**p on the crappy stuff, but if you can get it to sound good on the crappy stuff it'll probably blow you away on the good stuff. Did that make any sense what I just said? I'm not sure I understood it myself, I hope I know what I meant.
Yup, I know exactly what ya mean.
a disco ball.
True dat - everyone should have one.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:53 pm

... or if one has a Weegie for a wife who yells out "Whit is that shite?!?! I cannae hear myself think!!" when trying to use monitors.

Screw that, marital bliss is worth more to me than absolute sonic fidelity and accuracy. Cans it is for me. :mrgreen:

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:23 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:... or if one has a Weegie for a wife who yells out "Whit is that shite?!?! I cannae hear myself think!!" when trying to use monitors.
A weegie, eh? Does she really talk like that? :lol:

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:55 am

She does when she hams it up and plays up the stereotypes. She spent too much time in Fife (and not enough in Ibrox) to be too over-the-top when it comes to displaying her accent in everyday settings though. :wink:

She does, however, still get critical and blunt enough for me to resort to headphones when playing. I'm not that foolish.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:39 am

Ah, ye cannae beat it. My old man is a weegie and he's the same - different when he's watching his films with the sub cranked up of course.

Fife though, I don't know what accent's worse. It's a hard call, eh? ;)