How to make filter explosions/build-ups?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Haydn

How to make filter explosions/build-ups?

Post by Haydn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:41 am

How do you make the filter build-ups or "explosions" that are really common in electro/house music? I tried googling this and looking in other forums and couldn't find anything... maybe I'm using the wrong terminology but I've definitely heard them called this before.

Anyways... can anyone explain how it's done? If it's too long to explain a link to a tutorial would be much appreciated too.

Thanks!

ned-ryarson

Re: How to make filter explosions/build-ups?

Post by ned-ryarson » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:27 pm

can you put up an example?

if im thinking of the same thing, it can be acheived with a simple filter or pitch envelope, and probably some delay.

whether its noise your sweeping or whatever, its about timing the envelope with the ATTACK and DECAY so it opens where you begin your 'build-up', peaks at the end, and closes (starts to decay) at the start of the next bar/verse/chorus (this is where you get the actual 'explosion' as the filter or pitch sweeps back down) (and delay will add real size to this effect).

of course you can sweep the filter/pitch manually too. but i find using envelopes much better

this probably sounds complicated if its new to you, but its really basic.

hope it helps, dd.

Haydn

Post by Haydn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:56 pm

Ok, that helps a lot. I have one question though. Right now I am just sweeping noise and achieving the effect I wanted, but I am manually dragging the cutoff (I think it's the cutoff?) on a grid from the bottom left to upper right. Is there a way for the cutoff to change automatically with the tempo track? You mentioned using envelopes instead of doing it manual but the envelope control in my filter plug-in doesn't do that.

I'm using auto-filter in Ableton Live if you by any chance have it. If not, this is what it looks like: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/M ... p/ab2a.png

edit: sorry, it's frequency and resonance i was tweaking.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:05 am

Help -> Lessons Table of Contents -> Using Automation (in version 6 at least)

Please do all of the lessons that come with Live, they'll teach you a lot more a lot quicker than having to ask on a forum every time you want to learn how to do something. They're really well written and will get you using most of what the program's capable of doing in no time. :thumbright:

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:59 am

are you using an audio sample of noise then? rather than generating it from a synth?

i was referring to an envelope on a synth, auto filter is just an effect, and i wouldnt be sure off-the-top how to achieve what youre after with that. (though if have used it for modulation - love all lives effects!)

your best bet is to learn basic subtractive synthesis. you know in your head what you want to hear, so you just need to be shown how its done.

dd

(p.m me if you need help trying it on a synth)

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:03 pm

Haydn wrote: Is there a way for the cutoff to change automatically with the tempo track?
oh, by the way, thats exactly what an envelope does!

Haydn

Post by Haydn » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Ohhh ok. Yeah I made noise with a synth and then put it through the filter, but I'll try it out just on the synth. Thanks man you cleared a lot up for me!