Insane, Unique, Thick Chorus

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Insane, Unique, Thick Chorus

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:00 am

I recently traded my chain of multiple chorus pedals to my guitar player. Now I need the most whacked out chorus made, but I don't plan on paying too much.

I tend to like my FX on the wiggy side. i don't give 2 damns about analog, warmth, or any of those other buzz words. I have one unit that covers those needs. I am a huge fan of the ModFX series, if that helps. I was thinking of a few things -

Boss CE20 - lots of cool stuff, have tried one, but it might be a bit sterile and boring (I usually find Boss to be this way)...
Eventide Modfactor - a little pricey, seems more subdued (unsubstantiated assumption, I have never tried one)
EHX Poly Chorus - EHX has cool ideas, a shame they hire the lo com denom to build their s**t. Plus what the f**k is up with those huge flimsy cases? Yeah, the Titanic and the Hindenberg worked superbly, right? Morons...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Insane, Unique, Thick Chorus

Post by space6oy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:50 am

i wonder if EHX will be making a new version of the poly chorus...
the new housings (hazarai, polyphase, holy stain etc.) are nice. that happens, it'd get my vote...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:52 am

Sell more things, buy a H3000DS/E.

You will eventually anyway, why fight it?

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:43 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Sell more things, buy a H3000DS/E.

You will eventually anyway, why fight it?
Why, are those nice FX units or summin?

:lol:

Not much left to sale... power amp, couple a old flunky peavey amps, my hair (which I got an offer of 200.00 for the other day!), and maybe a Metavox.

Besides, I need something kind of small. I don't have a rack.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:03 am

tallowwaters wrote:I don't have a rack.
Get one. :thumbright:

Nah, you don't need a rack if you sell enough stuff. If you try hard enough you can end up with a setup that looks like Mush's.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:49 am

The polychorus is killer. But like you said, the build quality...

The Red Witch Chorus is worth a look too.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:I don't have a rack.
Get one. :thumbright:

Nah, you don't need a rack if you sell enough stuff. If you try hard enough you can end up with a setup that looks like Mush's.
Well, I only use the computer for post processing, so I will never be that minimal. I have to have all those fx units on my vocals. As far as my actual music setup, I only have a few things left.

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:53 pm

I know of a few pedals that do chorus, but the closest to wiggy any of them get is the Red Witch Medusa. It's out of production, and not exactly inexpensive at this point. Perhaps the Red Witch Empress Chorus might deliver similar chorus power? In general, chorus pedals tend to deliver chorus, and little else - if you want wiggy, rackmounts are where it is to be found.

On the rack side, for relatively low coin there are (at least) two boxes to look at. First, the Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander - a box full of stellar chorus (and related) algorithms, covering vintage to modern, subtle to over-the-top, this box can do it all. Multi-voice, DimD, Solina ensemble, and more make this box a keeper in my book.

The other unit I had in mind was the Symetrix 606. True, this is technically a dual-engine delay with resonant filters, deep modulation, knobs, and a somewhat stunted UI, but given it has two delay lines and LFOs to drive them, you can make this box generate chorus, among other things (flanger, delay, room simulation, etc.). Also, when it comes to wiggy, this box can get well and truly weird, if you like.

cheers,
Ian

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:45 am

Ahem, I know you sold it, but, Nord MicroModular springs to mind... :P

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:35 pm

If you're willing to go the plug in route, check out betabugs monstachorus, its free and f**k great

as for physical units, you cant go wrong with the boss ce300
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Joey wrote:as for physical units, you cant go wrong with the boss ce300
I can attest to the CE-300 being good for that Juno-ish type chorus, not really monstrous though. I don't know if it's just mine or all of them, but it makes horrible crackling noises if I put high frequencies of significant volume through it. (The input meter is nearly pegging anyway, when it occurs) It's also kind of noisy. Seems to work best with warm,mellow tones, or lower in the mix as a stereo expander.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:48 am

Solderman wrote:
I don't know if it's just mine or all of them, but it makes horrible crackling noises if I put high frequencies of significant volume through it. (The input meter is nearly pegging anyway, when it occurs) It's also kind of noisy.
I'm pretty sure it's expecting an instrument level input like a guitar. Check this thread out, though. There's a great modded schematic on p2. Something tells me the mods wouldn't be an issue for you :D .

I think it's a great chorus. Can still be had for cheap($50) on ebay. Sure it's not crazy, but the mod lfo (VCO-buzzword alert!*)makes good wobbly tones at high rates. Running a dry guitar though it makes me think of Israel by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

*=it's bbd, too.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:06 am

Yeah I saw that a while back. Just three resistors and 1 capacitor. I keep forgetting about it, I should do that one pronto.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:02 am

Find a Space Echo RE-301, and there is a wonderful Roland Chorus, inclusive the tape delay :D

Or a Roland Paraphonic, RS-505. It has a input jack to send every audio signal thru the Roland Chorus...
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:20 pm

spookyman wrote:Find a Space Echo RE-301, and there is a wonderful Roland Chorus, inclusive the tape delay :D

Or a Roland Paraphonic, RS-505. It has a input jack to send every audio signal thru the Roland Chorus...
Maybe it's just me, but I think the chorus on the DM-100 sounds better and its cheaper than either of those units.

(qualifier, my band owns a DM-100 and a friend whose band I've mixed for the last two years and who I recorded and mixed the last album of owns an RE-301.)