Thoughts on the Red Witch Empress Chorus?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Thoughts on the Red Witch Empress Chorus?

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:17 pm

I'm looking for a good chorus pedal to run my current crop (Little Phatty, MKS-70, Prophet-08 and XS) of synths through. Seeing as most local music stores are less than helpful when a keyboardist wants to line up a dozen different guitar pedals (their views, not mine) and try them out in sequence, I've relied on trying out sound clips from online retailers/manufacturers.

The obvious problem is that 99% of the samples use guitars, which limits their usefulness for me. Nevertheless, the best I've found from the samples seems to be the Red Witch Empress. Does anyone have one, and if so can they post a few keyboard based samples (dry vs. wet would be nice)?

Apologies if this should go in Buyer's Guide; I could rationalize its placement either way.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: Thoughts on the Red Witch Empress Chorus?

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:51 pm

counting down to aeon response in
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:56 pm

I had one briefly and I didn't like it - for synths, it sounded great with a guitar. Now, my tastes & desires might be different from yours. When I was out looking for a chorus at the time, I was looking for one that could do both subtle and over-the-top. The Empress did subtle pretty well.... However I think that it failed miserably in the over-the-top category. Same with the TC Electronics SCF. If your looking for something to add >a little bit< of ambience to your sound, then they will work fine, however if your looking for space cadet psychedelia, then you probably need to keep on looking.
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:21 pm

I have a lower-end TC Electronic rack that does an incredibly subtle chorus. The online samples I heard the Red Witch sounded a lot more deep and involved, hence my interest. I don't need a full Hawkwind-on-meth level of quasi-flangey chorus, but I do want fullness, richness and a sweet shimmer.

For comparison's sake I also did a bit of research on the Diamond Halo, DLS Stereo Chorus, Cosmichorus, Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus, Retro-Sonic, and Clone Theory. The DLS and Voodoo were my second and third best choices (again, not being able to A/B/C them in person, using a synthesizer, is a little frustrating).

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote: I don't need a full Hawkwind-on-meth level of quasi-flangey chorus, but I do want fullness, richness and a sweet shimmer.
I did not get that from the Empress.... As for the other units you've tested, I can't really compare them to the Empress as I've never used them.

Have you checked out the Delux Memory Man? Certanly not Hawkwind-on-meth, but it certainly stands out. I would label it as rich & full without hessitation.

-Jim
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:12 am

I'll have to look into that one. E-H pedals are among the few "boutique" (to use the term loosely) pedals that I can get easy access to at several stores. Thanks for the tip.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:06 am

May be too far out of your budget, but I've heard good things about Damage Control pedals. The Glass Nexus is £399 list and offers stereo in and out as well as MIDI in and out (not sure how out would be useful) and runs off two valves at full voltage, so no starved-plate stuff here. It also includes limited delay and reverb possibilities, in addition to the normal chorus-related effects (Leslie etc.). It includes a mix knob, and can save settings. If I were looking at high-end chorus pedals that can go from subtle to insane, with good build quality, I'd definitely look at it. The rest of the pedals look pretty sweet too 8) . As usual, all the online samples are guitars...

http://www.damagecontrolusa.com/pedals_ind.php?pedal=5

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:30 am

Are you looking for a pedal for a particular reason, or a great chorus processor in general?

I'd like to help as it regards the Red Witch Empress, but I don't have enough experience with it to do so. I do own and use a Red Witch Medusa, however.

I think it gets a good variety of killer chorus tones, but it doesn't stop me from also using an Analogman Bi-Chorus, Diamond Halo, and Boss DC-2 Dimension C as it concerns chorus tones for my synths, and indeed, if I could only choose to have one chorus unit, it wouldn't be any of the above (it would be a (digital) Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander).

cheers,
Ian

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:01 pm

The chorus need not be a pedal. I've just never heard a chrous I like from a rackmount unit that I really, really like, though I am open to the possibility that I'm ignorant of some good possibilities. I'm open to suggestions if someone has credible alternatives that are tabletop or rackmount.

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:57 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:The chorus need not be a pedal. I've just never heard a chrous I like from a rackmount unit that I really, really like, though I am open to the possibility that I'm ignorant of some good possibilities. I'm open to suggestions if someone has credible alternatives that are tabletop or rackmount.
Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander - the best chorus unit you can buy short of getting a modular-level Eventide and programming the algorithms yourself - IME. From vintage to modern, subtle to over-the-top, this box can do it all. Multi-voice, DimD, Solina ensemble, and other algos make this box a keeper in my book.

Check this thread too:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=44309

cheers,
Ian