DI's for Synths

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Alex Hamilton

Re: DI's for Synths

Post by Alex Hamilton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Alex Hamilton wrote:Something like an Avalon preamp will contain a compressor
No compressor in an Avalon preamp, although they do make some channel strips that put a pre, EQ and comp all in one box. From what you've been posting it seems like you're using the term preamp to describe both preamps and channel strips.
Yup sorry for the confusion! I also should have looked at the U5 before the final part of my post.
Stab Frenzy wrote:Phew, I hope I've got all my quote tags in the right spots...
Haha, think so. :salute:
Hybrid88 wrote:My longest cables are about 4 meters are these too long to use without a DI or not?
Nah, 4m really isn't very long, you can use them with guitars even. Some cables are more like 30m, that's when you need a DI :lol: .

This isn't to say a DI is entirely redundant - they're pretty handy tools, if not terribly exciting. You may find you prefer the sound of doing everything to get your gain-matching wrong, so...

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:06 am

DI and pres have their place in a line-level studio:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session4.htm

It would have been nice if there were a variety of sources, and not just a drum loop. A "dry" sample would be welcome, but not particularly important. The Listening Sessions are a comparison of outboard, and the pres' contribution to the sound can be extrapolated by listening to several files.

I've heard digital and analogue gear run through pres, sometimes using a DI, sometimes only a pad, and the results were often quite favorable. A full-on channel strip is a real treat on synths and drum machines.
Yours,
Niall.

Byrthfood

Post by Byrthfood » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:36 pm

syncretism wrote:DI and pres have their place in a line-level studio:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/session4.htm

It would have been nice if there were a variety of sources, and not just a drum loop. A "dry" sample would be welcome, but not particularly important. The Listening Sessions are a comparison of outboard, and the pres' contribution to the sound can be extrapolated by listening to several files.

I've heard digital and analogue gear run through pres, sometimes using a DI, sometimes only a pad, and the results were often quite favorable. A full-on channel strip is a real treat on synths and drum machines.
I agree.

And saying a plug-in can give you the same tone as a tube DI is like saying an arturia sounds as good as a Moog.
Synthi: DSI Polyevolver, DSI Prophet 08, Moog Source, Moog Voyager, Roland Fantom X8, Generalmusic S2 and SK88, Yamaha RM50, MFB Kult

Future: Macbeth X-Factor

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 pm

It's all good. As long as you're not hoodwinked into thinking that "tube" is always better. Use a blind a/B test.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:23 am

madtheory wrote:It's all good. As long as you're not hoodwinked into thinking that "tube" is always better.
If only this hobby had such certainties, it'd be a h**l of a lot easier!
Yours,
Niall.