would i be cheating?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: would i be cheating?

Post by pflosi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:13 pm

ipassenger wrote:
divineaudio wrote:as a rule, i delete all preset patterns/rhythms right away when i get a new piece of hardware. i will occasionally use preset samples/sounds/patches though if they are totally awesome or if i can't find them elsewhere. (having tons of software means i also have tons of preset sounds that mostly just take up space on my hard drive)
^^^^What he said.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:20 pm

It's not like Korg gave you all that stuff so you wouldn't use it.

I'll make use of any preset rhythm or sound if it works for a song.

Besides, the preset rhythms can be recorded into the sequencer and then edited.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:09 pm

I sort of agree with meatball. If the rhythm presets were any good, I'd probably use them. I'm not sure I see how using loops and presets is any different from sampling a break.

One of the things I do like rhythm presets for is for setting a basic rhythm while I work on a song if I haven't come up with anything yet.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:56 pm

I rarely use the preset rhythms (drum arpeggios on the Motif). Not so much because it's "cheating", but because I usually have a rhythm pattern already in mind and it's quicker to record a couple bars and loop it than it is to search through the thousand-odd presets to find one similar.

I may use a preset as a basis for an idea if I'm drawing a blank or want something different though.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 am

What Synthaholic just said... think of your factory presets and patterns as starting points. Take them, tweak them, hack them, see what you can do with them.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:23 pm

It's only cheating if you feel it is... how do you feel once the song is completed? Does it feel cheaper becuase you know the songs dirty little secret?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

in case of umbrella, yes, it does

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 pm

pflosi wrote:in case of umbrella, yes, it does
I agree... I'd feel cheap using that... but I have no issue with someone using it though... it just isn't my thing.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 pm

If the thing sounds right use it.

that's the way you have to think. Not everybody outside there are synth freaks like us, and will say:

ahhh... that's a Karma right????
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:34 pm

pflosi wrote:in case of umbrella, yes, it does
Umbrella has got -nothing- on the Mercedes audio logo.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:07 pm

balma wrote:If the thing sounds right use it.

that's the way you have to think. Not everybody outside there are synth freaks like us, and will say:

ahhh... that's a Karma right????
I forget this sometimes... but I've also had people pick samples out of my songs, say that they loved that part and how did I do it, and then I feel a bit cheap when I say...well, I sampled it. :D

Besenkopf
Gear: Handsonic 10, Kaossilator, MS2000, TG33, TX81Z, Triton Rack, MC303, K1, XioSynth, Streetboxx, Linndrum, MPC500, SP404, lots of percussion

Post by Besenkopf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Think about it this way: if you were playing with other musicians, they may rely on, for lack of a better term, "stock phrases." Sometimes those "stock phrases" are just the thing you need.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:08 am

Besenkopf wrote:Think about it this way: if you were playing with other musicians, they may rely on, for lack of a better term, "stock phrases." Sometimes those "stock phrases" are just the thing you need.
It's funny... I was just thinking about that. The Beatles did some pretty amazing things with a drummer capable of playing far fewer patterns than even a Juno-D.

If you think of the rhythm patterns as a slightly dimwitted drummer [I'm wating for the punchline...] then playing with canned rhythm doesn't seem so bad... ;)

dr.sine
Gear: not nearly enough
Band: Brandeau
Location: 44° 16′ 58″ N, 105° 30′ 19″ W ...far away from intelligent conversation...

Post by dr.sine » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:18 am

pflosi wrote:the whole beat is an apple loop.

check the original version of umbrella, i see there is a new one without beat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]

(i hope this youtube function works, if not, here's the link:

and i uploaded the apple loop here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g1622m

it was vintage funk kit 03, not 02...

of course, this doesnt interest the "normal" listeners, nor do they realize it. but it was a big laugh in the whole music scene...
that is f**k awesome! what a dumbass. what's bad is that she is probably completely oblivious herself!

anywho... yeah presets....nah. i wont record a track with my synth or with my guitar preamp or anything else unless iv tinkered with it and made it my own or made it from scratch. that's the fun of it. then record it and play it back and take a look inside your own mind threw the noise you've just made.
like someone said above. why spend all that money to have someone else make the music for you. this is to exclude sampling, by the way. that's a whole other world as far as i'm concerned. some very great things have been done with samples.
My mind doth rove of its own accord.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:48 pm

dr.sine wrote:what's bad is that she is probably completely oblivious herself!
To be honest I think she probably couldn't care less since it's likely that she didn't even pen the song.