tube amps

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
synthecks
Gear: Yamaha p100, KORG MS2000, roland rs-09, Fender PA135, SUNN 215B, various pedals & keyboards
Band: Lethosomn

tube amps

Post by synthecks » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:33 am

I wanna run my keys through a tube amp for the added frequencies/warmth but cant find much information about this. whats best bass amp? 15's, 12's ? 4ohms?

help?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Re: tube amps

Post by wiss » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:08 am

there is no best bass amp or amp but if you do get a tube amp make sure its 100% hand wired.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:44 am

wiss wrote:there is no best bass amp or amp but if you do get a tube amp make sure its 100% hand wired.
Is there any other advantage to hand wired amps, besides easier maintenance and reliability?

- CM

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:46 am

greater overall tone
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:58 am

wiss wrote:greater overall tone
Isn't that uh... subjective?

To the OP, do you want the amp for gigs? ie. need a loud amp?
I own a silverface Fender Bassman 100 and a Fender Twin. Both amps are very loud before they break up, and my synths sound great through them. I'd give them a shot if volume is what you need.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:50 am

Carey M wrote:Is there any other advantage to hand wired amps, besides easier maintenance and reliability?
Actually there is, but it's not as relevant as it once was: PCBs can become slightly loose and become microphonic (I'm sure you know what this is). Amps made by hand without PCBs don't risk this, though obviously both types are susceptible to microphonic valves. Expensive PCB amps aren't really prone to this, but some, e.g. Chinese-made, cheaper amps can have problems.

To the OP, there aren't any particular amps to recommend, but I'd suggest a bass amp for the extended low frequency response, and nothing smaller than a 12" cone.
synthecks wrote:4ohms?
Shouldn't matter for the output impedance, as long as the speakers are providing a sufficient load to the amp. Do you want a combo, or head and cab? Combo will be cheaper and you won't have to worry about output impedance.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:59 pm

wrong damn forum...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:25 pm

I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

synthecks
Gear: Yamaha p100, KORG MS2000, roland rs-09, Fender PA135, SUNN 215B, various pedals & keyboards
Band: Lethosomn

Post by synthecks » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Im looking for a cab and a head, I picked up 2 15" 250w celestions and am looking for something to "house" them but struggling to find a head. Id consider selling them If I found better speakers but these seem to have great lows and mids.
I thought the lower the ohms the louder and more freqs the speakers were, no?

also yes Im looking for something for gigs, so something loud to and low.

steveman

Post by steveman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 pm

synthecks wrote: I thought the lower the ohms the louder and more freqs the speakers were, no?
No. Lower impedance (ohms) may mean louder if your amp can handle it, but not necessarily. There's no connection between lower impedance and frequency range.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Alex Hamilton wrote:[
To the OP, there aren't any particular amps to recommend, but I'd suggest a bass amp for the extended low frequency response, and nothing smaller than a 12" cone.
unless it's a cab with 4 10's....

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:07 pm

wiss wrote:
Alex Hamilton wrote:[
unless it's a cab with 4 10's....
or 24 5" drivers...

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/PJWeb ... 8T16B.aspx

It is the most amazing bass cab I have ever had the pleasure of hearing or recording. The sound pressure of the lows, and speed of dynamics of the highs, is just lovely.

cheers,
Ian

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:48 pm

The "best" amp? That's way too subjective an opinion. However, what I would suggest instead of a bass amp for your application, would be a tube PA head, were you to go the vintage route. You'll get multiple channels and as much power as you're going to find in a bass head, with a better overall response for your keys. After that, I'd look for a bass amp and I would not recommend a guitar head, unless lower bass response is what you want.

That said, since you're going to be gigging with it, I would suggest the following setup:

1. Tube preamp - you can get one with multiple channels or several, depending on how many synths you're running into it)

2. Solidstate power amp - power tube overdrive/distortion is great, but unless you're going for a specific sound, you're not going to want to color your synths with this all the time. Also, in order to get the amount of power you're going to need to both drive your cabinet and be heard decently in the mix (not necessarily the "mix," but the din onstage), you're going to need a lot of tubes, which create heat, are heavy, fragile, heavy (in their chassis), etc.

3. Build your own cab - easier said than done, but unless you're willing to pay for it, most unloaded cabs are going to cost you. Mind you, you'll have to know something about what you're doing, but if you do a little research, then you should be able to pull it off.

I build tube amps (mostly for guitar), so I love 'em and recommend them for most things. However, some in some instances (notably the one you're talking about), I feel you're best off doing something like the above.

What other questions do you have? (No, Alex, I won't explain where babies come from ... again!)

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:00 pm

aeon wrote: or 24 5" drivers...

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/PJWeb ... 8T16B.aspx

It is the most amazing bass cab I have ever had the pleasure of hearing or recording. The sound pressure of the lows, and speed of dynamics of the highs, is just lovely.

cheers,
Ian
WOW!!!!!!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:05 pm

A great choice for a tube PA head is the Shure Vocal Master....six mono inputs, 100 watts RMS output and they sell dirt cheap because noone wants them anymore. You can find them for $100 or so, much less than a tube guitar or bass head.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.