alternatives to pro tools LE w/ more than 18 inputs

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: alternatives to pro tools LE w/ more than 18 inputs

Post by space6oy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:20 pm

syncretism wrote:None of these address compatibility with your budget, computer platform or Pro Tools, though. They definitely won't work with Pro Tools, and that may be a sine qua non for you.
hey! thanks for the suggestions, but like a PT HD setup, those are too expensive for me.
it looks like i'm going to be impatient (per usual) about this whole scenario and accept going for it w/ ableton and an affordable firewire interface w/ plenty of ADAT ins.
I used to have a Presonus Firestudio, which had a D-Sub connector for S/PDIF and MIDI. That was a pain in the a*s, but it got the job done, and Presonus replaced it quickly when they shipped the 'station back to me without it.
i'm still torn between an m-audio profire lightbridge, a presonus firestudio 2626 and a firestudio lightpipe. m-audio profire is the least expensive and has 32... but i might be better off w/ presonus since i'm using digimax fs. 2626 having its own ins is great... just wish it had 3 ADAT ins to make it 32 total.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:47 pm

space6oy wrote: hey! thanks for the suggestions, but like a PT HD setup, those are too expensive for me.
it looks like i'm going to be impatient (per usual) about this whole scenario and accept going for it w/ ableton and an affordable firewire interface w/ plenty of ADAT ins.
Are you running MacOS or Windows? Laptop or Desktop? Is device portability a concern?
If you sell your existing hardware, you could get a PCI-424 card and old MOTU 24i {not 24io} for relatively cheap. If you already have analogue to ADAT converters, then you might find used Creamware cards with ADAT options a solid investment. Each Scope ADAT option supports 16 channels. I'm not trying to flood you with options so much as let you know that there are a lot out there, and they're a lot cheaper than a Pro Tools HD rig.

Do you need to record that many tracks at once, or are you just trying to accommodate a number of simultaneous sources? If the latter, then maybe a mixer would be a good idea.
Yours,
Niall.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:12 pm

syncretism wrote:
space6oy wrote: hey! thanks for the suggestions, but like a PT HD setup, those are too expensive for me.
Are you running MacOS or Windows? Laptop or Desktop? Is device portability a concern?
If you sell your existing hardware, you could get a PCI-424 card and old MOTU 24i {not 24io} for relatively cheap. If you already have analogue to ADAT converters, then you might find used Creamware cards with ADAT options a solid investment. Each Scope ADAT option supports 16 channels. I'm not trying to flood you with options so much as let you know that there are a lot out there, and they're a lot cheaper than a Pro Tools HD rig.

Do you need to record that many tracks at once, or are you just trying to accommodate a number of simultaneous sources? If the latter, then maybe a mixer would be a good idea.
mac OSX 10.4, G5 desktop. portability is not an issue. i already have three 8 channel preamps with analog to ADAT conversion, four if you count the digi002. looking to be able to record more than 16 tracks all at once.

there's barely any creamware on ebay, and it's twice the price of the m-audio or presonus options... i do appreciate the suggestions though! i think for now i'm going to give an m-audio profire a shot, simply because it's the least expensive and has 32 channels via 4 ADAT ins. if that doesn't work out well, it won't be too much of a loss.

edit: my impatience is hideous... just landed an m-audio profire lightbridge for $225 and am going for it w/ ableton live. still open to suggestions on this whole scenario though! :D

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:14 am

Hey, well done and good luck, mate!
Yours,
Niall.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:51 am

space6oy wrote:...i might be better off w/ presonus since i'm using digimax fs.
Nope, ADAT is ADAT, makes no difference if you're using the same brand or different. I think you made a good choice. :thumbright:

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:05 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
space6oy wrote:...i might be better off w/ presonus since i'm using digimax fs.
Nope, ADAT is ADAT, makes no difference if you're using the same brand or different. I think you made a good choice. :thumbright:
awesome. i hope so!

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:05 pm

so here's another interesting scenario... "re-wire." apparently there's some way to run pro tools with aux bus inputs from live... i think so that audio goes to live via ADAT/firewire, then straight to tracks in pro tools...

so many things i need to learn.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:52 am

Nope, when Live is running as a rewire slave it can only get audio from PT, not any external devices. I remember having the exact same thought myself. :D

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:09 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Nope, when Live is running as a rewire slave it can only get audio from PT, not any external devices. I remember having the exact same thought myself. :D
wasn't my thought, it was a tech @ sweetwater. and that blows, had my hopes up.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:55 am

Man, you'd expect Sweetwater's techs to know about stuff before they suggest anything. Then again, retail's not the most lucrative career for people who actually know what they're doing...

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:08 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Man, you'd expect Sweetwater's techs to know about stuff before they suggest anything. Then again, retail's not the most lucrative career for people who actually know what they're doing...
eh, everybody makes mistakes, he probably just had it backwards, part of why he got started explaining how to set it up then needed to look into it.

fOZf8

Post by fOZf8 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 am

I just wouldn't use pro-tools. Each to his own though. I found it just fine for recording in live on the fly...but editing and mixing was a bear in it...and then the track limitations for recording as well (I was using M-Powered). Cubase does all of that easily, and I can use it on my Macs and my PCs, and works with any form of audio device I plug into it, with as many tracks as my gear and computer will handle, all for less money.

Just my two sense though. I can understand why pro-tools seems like a familiar world to a lot of people, but if you weren't working a large mixing board recording to reel in the past, then you might as well get with the times and use something more capable than pro-tools.
Radio Electro(u)nique
Limbik Frequencies
---
Mindset Studio Music and Media
Mindsetstudios

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:35 pm

fOZf8 wrote:you might as well get with the times and use something more capable than pro-tools.
:lol: WONDERFUL advice... that's my two cents!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:08 am

fOZf8 wrote:I just wouldn't use pro-tools. Each to his own though. I found it just fine for recording in live on the fly...but editing and mixing was a bear in it...and then the track limitations for recording as well (I was using M-Powered). Cubase does all of that easily, and I can use it on my Macs and my PCs, and works with any form of audio device I plug into it, with as many tracks as my gear and computer will handle, all for less money.
Don't you think that Cubase may also be full of s**t that some people will never use and therefore just gets in the way? You know what I love about Pro Tools? There's two main windows - mix and edit. Doesn't get much more simple than that and simplicity is often king in my eyes.

Also I've spend a little time with Logic, Cubase/Cubasis, Cakewalk Pro Audio, Garageband and quite a while with FL Studio so I've been round the block a bit. And in my eyes Pro Tools is definitely the easiest for me to manipulate audio in - hands down. YMMV. :D

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:59 am

OriginalJambo wrote:Also I've spend a little time with Logic, Cubase/Cubasis, Cakewalk Pro Audio, Garageband and quite a while with FL Studio so I've been round the block a bit. And in my eyes Pro Tools is definitely the easiest for me to manipulate audio in - hands down. YMMV. :D
I second what you say... :wink:

After 2 months of Logic, i'm happy to go back on ProTools 8.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.