What recording chain...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
wickfut

What recording chain...

Post by wickfut » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm assuming you don't just collect synths for show and you do record music with them :)

I'm about to totally start fresh with my soundcard/mixer etc and need some ideas, so how do you record your synths ?

What mixer, audio interface and other gubbins do you have and how is it all routed ?

cheers
My old stuff from yonks ago (1999-2001)...
click me for lofi music player
click me for main page

Somebody somewhere in the UK must have a decent condition, none modded tb303 to flog me ?

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: What recording chain...

Post by Syn303 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:38 pm

This should be in sound production really... :)
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

wickfut

Post by wickfut » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 pm

I think you may be right !

sorry

:)
My old stuff from yonks ago (1999-2001)...
click me for lofi music player
click me for main page

Somebody somewhere in the UK must have a decent condition, none modded tb303 to flog me ?

Byrthfood

Post by Byrthfood » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:19 pm

Right now I have the E-mu 1820M. I record a few different ways (usually the first):

1 Avenson DI -> preamp -> 1820M
2 Avenson DI -> 1820M's preamp
3 just plugging into 1820M
Synthi: DSI Polyevolver, DSI Prophet 08, Moog Source, Moog Voyager, Roland Fantom X8, Generalmusic S2 and SK88, Yamaha RM50, MFB Kult

Future: Macbeth X-Factor

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:25 pm

I record everything one at a time...

mono = radial JDI, great river pre, apogee duet
stereo = HHD Fatman to apogee duet
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:54 pm

I go back and forth about the best way to set things up, especially because I have such a small mixer at the moment.

I use an Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface and a Mackie 802-VLZ3 mixer. I have my synths hooked up to inputs on the mixer, I have the 3/4 alt bus output connected to FA-101 inputs 1/2, and the FA-101's 1/2 outputs connected to a stereo channel on the mixer. I usually monitor after all of my software has a crack at the signal - I use Ableton/Bidule/Kontakt/Battery.

I also have a Lexicon MX-200 looped via S/PDIF in/out (9+10/9+10) from the FA-101 (using a bidirectional M-Audio Coax/TOSLink converter,) and a Yamaha E1005 analog delay looped as the AUX send/return from the Mackie. I have more FA-101 outputs routed to the audio inputs of both my Virus B and MS2000R (this is one of the many situations where Bidule comes in handy.)

Despite the small size of this setup, my work area (studio?) is LAYERED in cables. It's like an archaeological dig when I decide to swap something around. I'd like to get a patch bay and bigger mixer with more sends and buses. And more synths, of course :)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:18 pm

i run everything into a MOTU 24IO

it kinda stinks having to mix using a mouse and the cuemix console. I'd like to get a real mixer sometime soon.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Synth -> Mini-me, then usually back out into various external FX.
virb.com/ookpikk

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:55 pm

for the risk of stating the obvious, just get the best converters your money can buy, throw in a nice stereo preamp, nice monitors, and add some acoustic treatment to your room if u havent already. this is basics.

converter: im using Fireface800. i like the sound. i think its the best in mid, semi-pro class. beyond that id look into Apogee Rosetta 800, Lynx or a Mytek.

preamps: i like Great River. have one channel. going to sell it and get a 2ch version. API A2D is also a nice idea, it got 2 API preamps and a 2ch converter in one box.

if u mix in the box (ITB), you can listen to several pieces of hw thru a sml mixer, striclty for monitoring purposes, while working on arrangement/composition etc. and then when your lines are finished and u are ready to track, you can record them direct into pre and ocnverter, avoiding the (c**p) mixer. two by two channels. time consuming, but that way youll have best possible tracks ready at mix time.

so, if the card you pick has more inputs (like FF800 or rosetta800), u can record more stuff simulatneously, speeding up the whole process.

i got a patchbay btwn my synths and FF inputs, so its easy to insert some multifx, pedals, echos etc.. on the way in. i like recording processed sound, and get it nice thick singal with the pre. using some saturation etc. im comitting "to tape" early on, not at the mix time. takes planning and some imagination, and of course soemtimes you fkup and gotta redo, but i like the results.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14 am

So, for those lucky enough to have a GR pre, what does it do for you?
virb.com/ookpikk

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:00 am

I usually record straight to my 002, then often bounce out of it through effects pedals, a few rack units I have and my Sebatron preamp. 002 doesn't sound truly amazing, but it does the job.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:50 am

Hi guys, speaking of interfaces would anyone like to share they're opinions on the Digi MBox 2 Pro? Is it any good? I'm thinking of going from logic to Pro Tools, by the looks of it to me Pro v8 wipes the floor with Logic 8. What the h**l have they done with the color scheme, and why is it necesary to have everything in one window, reducing your arrange page to the size of a post stamp? That and the upgrades to Pro Tools is the final nail in the coffin for Logic 8 as far as I'm concerned [-X .

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:30 am

Logic 8 is still as configurable as 7 was, it's just that they made a new one window default. If you don't like it just change it back, have a good read of the manual and you'll figure out how to use it.

I've read the MBox 2 Pro has similar quality convertors to the 002 and 003, which is usable but not fantastic. What are you using now?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:15 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:So, for those lucky enough to have a GR pre, what does it do for you?
Not sure yet... just started recording with it... we'll see if I ruin all pros it offers with my mixing skills (lack of). However, it makes my SM7b Mic sound great, so that is one plus...and the main reason I bought it. Needed to step up my vocal chain... using it to spice up drum machines and synths is just a bonus.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 pm

i really need to get a usb or firewire interface, this thread is great for info!
currently, i'm running a small peavey mixer straight into the audio in on my computer. the in is very very poor quality, so, as a result are my recordings.

anyone have any experience with the alesis iO|2? i'm thinking of just putting it after my mixer so as to keep my workflow similar
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!