Headphones - what do you use?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
JBL

Re: Headphones - what do you use?

Post by JBL » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:35 pm

I keep hearing very good comments about the grado headphones I might try them next... but aren't the SR-80 a bit too small? well, it's hard to tell with the picture... I like headphones that cover the whole ear (unlike my mdr-v300 that I only use because they are not broken and I don't care about them)

Edit: my MDR-v300 was failing I would like your advice for new headphones.

I'm looking for some cheap closed circumaural headphones. The most important feature has to be that I can have them in my neck all day long. I already have good headphones for home, but those I use when I leave home are getting old and they are not circumaural.

What are smallest circumaural headphones that you've seen?

They are mostly gonna be used with mp3 players and such devices.

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:36 am

Maybe the lower end Sennheisers. I've got some Sennheiser HD-202 that are pretty good.

JBL

Post by JBL » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 pm

I've been looking at many headphones I think the HD-202 are the only one that are cirumaural, closed and yet small enough to be carried everywhere..

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:51 am

im using Beyerdynamic 770.

extremely accurate and wide bandwith. i dont mix with them, but use em for check up, and when i need to proof-read a recording, often in audio post, for clicks pšops, precise fade-outs , that sort of thing. its like listening wiht an audio magnifier - if u fkd something up, however masked up by mix on them speakers, these headphones are going to reveal it.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

ThinkTanx
Gear: Elektron MnM SFX-6, MD UW MkII * Virus TI * Moog Voyager S.E. * Lemur * Ableton, FM8, Massive, FAW Circle * Distressors, Great River * Genelec 8050A

Post by ThinkTanx » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 am

Sennheiser HD 595 for me. :)

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:29 am

Shanesaw wrote:Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's.
So tasty!! I have owned a pair of these for about 3 years and I do almost all of my tracking with them. So they get a lot of use. I use them a lot for mixing too but I have a lot of other references to go with as well.

The first time I used the DT-770 pros I listened to VACs "Crawl". Track 10 on Hex Angel.
http://www.velvetacidchrist.com/2007/11 ... adystopia/
I could hear so much more than before. Everything so smooth and creamy! :shock:

Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro 80

Pioneer HDJ-1000

M-Audio IE-10 (for live use and vocal EQing and mixing)

wvcttr
Gear: Dem blinkin' lights sure look pur-dee.

Post by wvcttr » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:34 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Wouldn't be too optimistic about those replaceable cables. Have replaced mine 2 times after the plug of the original broke. They make bad contact somehow. After some years of the first replacement one side eventually stopped making sound, and my current cable is very sensitive, touch it, and one side may stop working. Touch it again, and it may work again.
Too bad to hear you've had such bad luck. I have a pair of HD-25-1 mk1 headphones that I've had forever and I've never had a problem with the cable. Though, I had to replace the cushions because they wore out (both head and ear cushions).

I also have the HD-590 model. I had to replace the cable and and I had to replace the ear cushions once.

I find all sennheiser headphones to flavor the bass. It comes out slightly muddy, in my opinion, but I prefer the sound to other brands. Plus, they're freakin' reliable and sennheiser customer support is top notch.
+-wvCttr]

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:40 am

If I had the money for a new set of cans, these would certainly be the ones! So comfortable, such good sound.
Every time I look at the photos and specs I have to drop my pants.
Attachments
368543jpg.jpg

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun May 30, 2010 8:14 am

aeon wrote:Sony MDR-7506.
I use them every day, and they tend to last ~7 years. I'm on pair #3 since 1987.
Just wanted to update that at some point since 1987, Sony must have stopped quality checking their 7506 assembly line. The right channel on mine slowly over 4 months reduced output in bass frequencies, and very recently started to rattle in those frequencies. The pair was garbage less than 8 months after purchase. The warranty is of course only 3 months.

Don't buy MDR-7506's. Like everything else affordable that Sony makes these days, they are not built to last.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

SleepingInsomniac

Post by SleepingInsomniac » Sun May 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I use the sony mdr v150, there light, considerably comfortable, small and portable (i used them for travelling) and there f**k cheap :D
they are considered to be dj headphones :dj: ..but i ain't a dj haha
SH 101 MC 505 D 110 MS 2000BR EA 1 ER 1 ORBIT 9090 V2 NORD LEAD 3 S1000 BASS STATION PRODIGY

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun May 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Solderman wrote:
aeon wrote:Sony MDR-7506.
I use them every day, and they tend to last ~7 years. I'm on pair #3 since 1987.
Just wanted to update that at some point since 1987, Sony must have stopped quality checking their 7506 assembly line. The right channel on mine slowly over 4 months reduced output in bass frequencies, and very recently started to rattle in those frequencies. The pair was garbage less than 8 months after purchase. The warranty is of course only 3 months.

Don't buy MDR-7506's. Like everything else affordable that Sony makes these days, they are not built to last.
Hmmm, I haven't had a similar experience, I've had mine about 4 years and they're still going great, I need to replace the ear cushions though.

I'm considering getting a pair of DT-770s cause I've used them before and they sound great, and at work we have a whole lot of DT-880s which are great too, but no good for live mixing. The thing with the Sonys is that I don't really worry about leaving them behind at a gig cause they're pretty replaceable. And I'm quite used to the sound of them now.

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Mon May 31, 2010 1:47 am

SleepingInsomniac wrote:I use the sony mdr v150, there light, considerably comfortable, small and portable (i used them for travelling) and there f**k cheap :D
they are considered to be dj headphones :dj: ..but i ain't a dj haha
also note:
If they break, you can pick up a new pair 24/7 everyday at walmart for roughly $20

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Mon May 31, 2010 1:50 am

wvcttr wrote:I find all sennheiser headphones to flavor the bass. It comes out slightly muddy, in my opinion, but I prefer the sound to other brands. Plus, they're freakin' reliable and sennheiser customer support is top notch.
The sound varies a fair bit between Sennheiser models though. I use the HD-515s and find them relatively neutral, but I found the HD-465s almost unusably boomy and muddy.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

RD9

Post by RD9 » Mon May 31, 2010 1:40 pm

AKG K240 and AKG K240 MKII. They're really good and not too expensive.

At first I hated the way they looked, but after a while I realized how good actually they were. And very comfortable.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:48 am

i have akg 141 and audio technica ath 40m or something like that . i dont like them .
i took a long time at the store to try them all out last week cause i want a new pair and i want them to be good and enjoyable. hoped i could get away with something around 200 like the beyer dynamics wich are ok and very comfortable but i tried the seinheiser 600 for too long... then when i went back to all the others they sounded like c**p. either too brigth or too dark or too ?? cappy!!
the seinheiser 600 are the ones! so i'll wait until i have enough cash. (650 are great also )

the akg 702 sound good but i could not try those side by side . anyway i prefer the way the seinheisers holds on my head .