Guitar sound

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
moogerfooger321

Guitar sound

Post by moogerfooger321 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:24 pm

came across this song and I really like the effect they have on the guitar and how it sounds. It's like some sort of wah, phaser or something. Anybody know exactly what it is? Kind of sounds like the same effect in Jackie Blue by the Ozard Mountain Daredevils, except that has more of just a straight overdriven phase shifter sound to it.

dr.sine
Gear: not nearly enough
Band: Brandeau
Location: 44° 16′ 58″ N, 105° 30′ 19″ W ...far away from intelligent conversation...

Re: Guitar sound

Post by dr.sine » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:32 pm

reverb, a wah pedal at about 2/3 of the way closed (toe up).
as far as the phaser goes there might be a very light phaser on there but it almost sounds like he's very quickly and lights rocking the wah pedal.

i would imagine he's using the bridge pick up on the guitar as well.

that would be my guess.
My mind doth rove of its own accord.

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:28 pm

The lead is a phase shifter. Very distinct sound. I listened to the song and heard no Wah pedal at all. Now before you all say I'm wrong/idiot/don't know what I'm talking about, etc..., remember one thing. I am a guitar player who hacks a keys. Guitar is my main instrument. Like many of you who could pick out the difference between a Juno 60 and a juno 106 (which I can't), I know guitar :). The guitar is most likely a Fender Strat played in the upper register with only the neck pickup on, no distortion - clean setup with tube preamp and compression. Very Gilmore'ish. Listen to some of Gilmore's early work, Very similar sound.

I really like the song too. Very jazzy/moody sounding with a slight sex appeal.
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

dr.sine
Location: 44° 16′ 58″ N, 105° 30′ 19″ W ...far away from intelligent conversation...

Post by dr.sine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:53 am

Pilot352 wrote:The lead is a phase shifter. Very distinct sound. I listened to the song and heard no Wah pedal at all. Now before you all say I'm wrong/idiot/don't know what I'm talking about, etc..., remember one thing. I am a guitar player who hacks a keys. Guitar is my main instrument. Like many of you who could pick out the difference between a Juno 60 and a juno 106 (which I can't), I know guitar :). The guitar is most likely a Fender Strat played in the upper register with only the neck pickup on, no distortion - clean setup with tube preamp and compression. Very Gilmore'ish. Listen to some of Gilmore's early work, Very similar sound.

I really like the song too. Very jazzy/moody sounding with a slight sex appeal.
i too am a guitarist originally and i'm going to agree with you.
i said bridge pickup but that was a typo :oops: . yes, most definitely the neck pickup only on either a strat or tele.
lots of compression as well.

organsymphony
Gear: an assortment of various friction idiophones
Band: Parrot Fashion

Post by organsymphony » Mon May 04, 2009 11:11 am

dr.sine wrote:i too am a guitarist originally and i'm going to agree with you.
i said bridge pickup but that was a typo :oops: . yes, most definitely the neck pickup only on either a strat or tele.
Easy typo to make... the keys are like right next to each other. :lol:

Hair

Post by Hair » Mon May 04, 2009 3:59 pm

I'm a guitar player too fwiw, and I'm thinking it's maybe a rotovibe or something with the depth set really low, but it sounds like there's an overdubbed hit with a wah at 3:13

it also sounds like a wurly through a similar effect is playing along with the guitar during the chorus (and on it's own by the "slow down" lines)

dr.sine

Post by dr.sine » Fri May 08, 2009 4:23 am

organsymphony wrote:
dr.sine wrote:i too am a guitarist originally and i'm going to agree with you.
Easy typo to make... the keys are like right next to each other. :lol:
i lnow! i duck this mind of rhing ip all the rime!
:lol: