how do u record ur drum machine?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
ned-ryarson

how do u record ur drum machine?

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed May 06, 2009 6:07 pm

using midi?
record hits or a loop as audio then chop up and sequence?
record like a 16bar or more loop?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: how do u record ur drum machine?

Post by Joey » Wed May 06, 2009 6:16 pm

i used to program beats on my ER1, record the midi into logic, and then play back that midi to record each drum sound individually on their own tracks (a machine with individual outs would probably have been better)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed May 06, 2009 9:07 pm

I use individual outs, usually synced to the computer MIDI but programmed on the drum machines sequencer.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Same as Mr Karaoke above, err i mean Kuroichi, but sometimes i'll record drum parts individually for further processing and editing, all time consuming stuff you know
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed May 06, 2009 9:30 pm

Depends on the track. Sometimes just a few hits and then chop them down into individual hits, other times times a full 16 or 32 step sequence. Depends also if I'm planning on using Ultrabeat for some percussion sounds, and also how much effort I'm planning on putting into the whole thing.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed May 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Also meant to say if you don't have individual outs just mute the kick part or snare etc. and record the sounds individually that way.

dr.sine
Gear: not nearly enough
Band: Brandeau
Location: 44° 16′ 58″ N, 105° 30′ 19″ W ...far away from intelligent conversation...

Post by dr.sine » Fri May 08, 2009 1:29 am

mono straight from the machine. ...most of the time.
sometimes i'll mute each part and record them into individual tracks, depending on what i'm going for.
but most of the time i stick with the simplest process of mono recording straight from the machine.
i chose not to have a very elaborate recording set up so my options are limited anyway. but thats how i like it.
i find that i get more done when i'm focusing more on what's being recorded rather than how it's being recorded.
My mind doth rove of its own accord.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Thu May 14, 2009 5:27 pm

I use an MPC2000xl to drum out a beat for some boxes/rhythms. Other times I program using on-board step sequencers. Sometimes I use both. For the Jomox Airbase I have a massive Nord Modular G2 performance sequencer with parameter locks and step sequencers and I will use this in-conjunction with the MPC and 'live' sequencing. I always record each sound separately, almost always hitting a good mic pre, compressor, and some EQ before committing to tape.

-matia

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 pm

I used to do all sounds alone on seperate tracks, or BDs seperate on one track, hats and snares together on another, percussion together on another, etc. Now, I've had better luck recording the BD and Snare together (both EQ'd in the machine prior to recording) and compressing them together... I just started doing this, but it worked well so I'm going to keep doing it for now.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Thu May 14, 2009 7:40 pm

JSRockit wrote: Now, I've had better luck recording the BD and Snare together
Jomox or Elektron?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu May 14, 2009 7:59 pm

jaypodesta wrote:
JSRockit wrote: Now, I've had better luck recording the BD and Snare together
Jomox or Elektron?
Elektron Monomachine. It would work for Machinedrum too... the Jomox, maybe not. :lol: We'll see, I'm still experimenting.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu May 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Elektron MachineDrum SPS-1UW, Elektron MonoMachine SFX-6, Korg OASYS PCI (w/physical models), Clavia Nord Modular G1, E-mu CS (w/Protean Drums ROM), Roland S-760 (w/Roland library CD), and Yamaha A5000 (w/custom samples) --->

Kurzweil KSP8 x 2 ---> DAW

Each drum sound is almost always on its own track to allow for dynamics, eq, filtering, and dirt before any aux sends.

Comps of those tracks might be put on their own tracks as stems or ReCycled for further processing.

Pity that I can mix and process drums well enough, but am shite as it concerns programming them via buttons. Easier for me to actually tap the stuff out on a table, record that, and ReCycle it to use as triggers for the actual sounds.

cheers,
Ian

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sat May 16, 2009 11:52 am

I still use the stone age method: record the stereo outs and call it a day. hopefully I'll get my head around doing several takes to allow individual tracks per sound, but that would completely kill my workflow anyway.. we'll see

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Tue May 19, 2009 3:29 pm

oo

Hi. Here is the recording chain I use . . .

drum machine (stereo out) --> mini-KP (out) --> (audio in) Electribe EA-1 mkII (stereo out) -->
mixer (stereo out) --> recorder

A lot of what I do is real-time recording with the mini-KP used to effect the beats and the Audio In on the Electribe used to drop in and out of a bass sequence. Even though MIDI via the Electribe masters the BPM, the rest is improvised within the song structure to add a little live looseness to the rhythm and bass tracks.

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue May 19, 2009 6:46 pm

I use INDIVIDUAL outputs as most as I can.

Try to balance them. Not to saturate the frequencies into a single output, but distributing them along the different frequencies at different outputs.

I generally, separate four channels, and sample a 4 or 8 bars on a Phrase sampler like the Roland SP 808.

From a single drum pattern, then I obtain four different samples of the same lenght each one of them. I record them on MONO.

then, I equalize each one of them, regulate mid high and low frequencies and panning, assign a PAD to each one of those samples, and activate them with Note midi messages from a command station sequencer.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma