live gig in a sandpitt, how to make the gears survive?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Re: live gig in a sandpitt, how to make the gears survive?

Post by novielo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:45 pm

so far, it seems harder then i tought finding an incubation chamber...
i put adds on myspace page, almost got one there. but my friend is now in halifax... wich is damn far from here. freecycle didn't bring anything.

the quest continue!
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

taskoni
Gear: Fun cost money - how hard you want to laugh

Post by taskoni » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:11 am

Hmmm.
If I were you I would borrow some gear for that particular gig :oops: :D
But seriously I would build my rig based on MIDI and controlled via midi keyboard and foot controller (preferably with alfa-numeric display) and pair of MIDIJet Pro midi wireless system. You go to stage(?) with two wireless controllers and the gear is safe in the van...
Wait! If the foot controller can pass MIDI data thru you will need only one wireless system...
Hope that helps a little.

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Your only solution is doing an a cappella vocal set! :lol:
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Post by novielo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:31 pm

their will already be a van acting as a dj booth.

i'm going for a show with a tenori-on for sure, if i find nothing to protect it i'll wrap it in cling wrap and i'll be able to play because i won't use the data whell. (and it's hard to find somebody else to borow it from ;-) )

if i do find something to protect, like the incubating chamber, i'll bring also a mpc1000. i need to use the data wheel and the sliders on this one + it will have allot more things plug into it, iec, 2 x 1/4 output, 2 x 1/4 input and the phones. that is why i can't protect it with only cling wrap. the mpc is not essential but would bring more texture because of it's sampling capability.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

novielo

Post by novielo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:33 pm

guitarsandsynths wrote:Your only solution is doing an a cappella vocal set! :lol:
yeah! or do an hour with these:

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:33 pm

I say do it out the back of the van and it should be alright.

And the nervousness thing - smoke some pot.
It doesn't work for everyone but it certainly works for me.
blunted daydreaming

novielo

Post by novielo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:35 pm

the back of the van is a good idea. i wouldn't have to worry about my stuff and i would not see the peoples listening to the show. that could help me with nervousness. drug is out of the way, i'm not doing drugs, the only thing that i take that is drugs is caffeine in diet cola tea once every 2 days. i'm not even taking, alcohol, coffee, aspirin, tylenol, pot, glue, meth, mess, and so on :-)

but, i wanted to do a show because now that i'm older i feel that being so nervous is completely ridiculous and i that i have to step over this. it's a personal challenge that i entertain with myself. for a month now i do improvisation every evening with visualisation of the show. i felt ill the first days, now it's 1/3 gone.

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:14 pm

Congrats on making the effort, I'm terribly nervous myself and haven't performed since 2001.
Weed doesn't help for me, it makes it worse, way worse.

novielo

Post by novielo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:30 am

thanks, every bit of support is much appreciated.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:24 am

Best way I know to deal with nerves is to practice, practice, practice. Humans find comfort in routines, if you know your live set well enough that it is a routine to you then you can block out the nerves and should be able to find comfort in the live set.

novielo

Post by novielo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:05 pm

thanks thomas for this. i'm practicing 1h 1h30 everyday for 2 weeks now. i also do believe that knowing the set very well will help alot. at least it will diminish one value of the stress.

bad news today... i called to various hospital around here in radius of 100km. no incubating chamber :-(
i've been told once that they send them to 1/3 world countries when they change them. -- re :-( -- but at least it's for a good cause.

guess that i'll go to the salvation army to get an aquarium, and start from there.

mwbassguy
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mwbassguy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:10 pm

laptop in fishtank/rubbermaid box
control it via bluetooth computer keyboard sealed in plastic bag, or itouch midi with iphone in ziploc bag.
an avatar and a sig make one's posts more easily recognizable.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:31 am

I just realized, this is probably the only benefit of the 80s-style "membrane keys" like those on a roland alpha juno 1. "Survives sandpit gigs"

theflyingexecutive

Post by theflyingexecutive » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:45 am

What about in a clear topped box with hand-sized holes in the side? You could put shields around holes for more protection as well I guess.

novielo

Post by novielo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:12 pm

looks like i'm the only that doesn't have a ipod/touch/I something... :-)
i will learn to do live with a laptop in the future but for this summer it would be a little of a suicide to learn a program and to build a show in 40 days while working full time. i'll stick to the stuff i have, small form factor and that i understand for this gig.

th0mas : i wonder what would be the real effects of sand to the gears, of course the pots would be infected if nothing is done. but what if some light grease is applied to the shaft? i think it would make the sand stop there.

as for the juno, it would be great but i don't know how it would do with the pich wheel and the keys.

i'll probably take the fish bowl/rubermaid box (if i need other gear that i won't adjust live) route. everything should be safe and i will be able to play outside.

god i'm nervous about this.