need a new interface, among other things

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
mwbassguy
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

need a new interface, among other things

Post by mwbassguy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:03 pm

a few months ago, my motu 828 mk1 s**t the bed after something like seven years of heroic service. since then ive been using built-in audio, and honestly, its been working out ok. however, i know that for relatively little money, i could be doing a lot better.

what i have:
white macbook/1GB RAM/osx 10.5
ableton 7
m-audio USB keyboard
ns10t speakers, cheap power amp
a bunch of mic preamps

what i need:
4 ins, 4 outs
MIDI
rock solid drivers (i want to be making music, not futzing around in audio MIDI setup because the interface crashed)
small footprint (1U rack or tabletop unit smaller than my laptop)

what i dont need:
more than 2 preamps
internal effects
live monitoring
a control surface
adat/toslink/etc.
blinkenlights

so, for example, the motu ultralite would be great if instead of having the whole cueMix thing, it were a couple hundred bucks cheaper.
most importantly, i'd like this to be as cost-effective as possible. my current audio interface cost me zero extra dollars and it does half of what i need it to do. if this can all be done best with separate audio and MIDI interfaces, thats fine too, though id prefer one box over two.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Re: need a new interface, among other things

Post by novielo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:33 pm

among other, this would suit your needs: http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireW ... /index.php

have a look at the other audiofire devices, they have a whole line of these 2-4-8-12 i/0 . personnaly i would go with the 4 or 8 i/o because they have input in front of then and have 2 preamps.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm in a similar situation now that our Firebox has developed a buzz and I'm thinking the Audiofire 4 is the way to go as well.

mwbassguy
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mwbassguy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:29 am

so far, it looks like the audiofire 4 is the winner, based on the reviews ive read. heres the full list under consideration:
presonus inspire ($200) + midi interface
presonus firebox ($250)
edirol FA66 ($280)
TC Electronic Konnekt 8 ($300)
Focusrite Saffire LE ($300)
Echo Audiofire 4 ($300)
M-Audio Firewire 410 ($300)

by the way, it's super annoying that so many firewire interfaces have "fire" in them:
firebox
saffire
profire
fireface
audiofire
tubefire
an avatar and a sig make one's posts more easily recognizable.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:44 am

'cause they're all pyromaniac!

i got a firepod!
fire + pod (pod - a detachable container of fuel on an airplane) !!!

HHHAAAAAA!

sorry :-)
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:15 am

After owning a Firebox I don't want to get another one. Sound quality was disappointing and it died in about 2 years. My bandmate is capable of destroying pretty much anything though, so maybe it's not the interface's fault.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:10 am

I have an Echo Audiofire 8 and I haven't had any problems with it. I got it used on eBay last year for less than the cost of a 4.

Seems like people don't really talk about Echo audio interfaces much which I guess is why I was the only bidder on that auction. I must have spent a couple of weeks reading reviews and listening to shootouts before I decided on the Echo. For the price it sounds good especially when they were being compared to the more expensive interfaces. Oh and the seller lost the rack ears but had everything else it came with. I contacted Echo and they mailed me some for free. :D
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:47 am

mwbassguy wrote: what i need:
4 ins, 4 outs
MIDI
rock solid drivers (i want to be making music, not futzing around in audio MIDI setup because the interface crashed)
small footprint (1U rack or tabletop unit smaller than my laptop)

what i dont need:
more than 2 preamps
internal effects
live monitoring
a control surface
adat/toslink/etc.
blinkenlights

so, for example, the motu ultralite would be great if instead of having the whole cueMix thing, it were a couple hundred bucks cheaper.
most importantly, i'd like this to be as cost-effective as possible. my current audio interface cost me zero extra dollars and it does half of what i need it to do. if this can all be done best with separate audio and MIDI interfaces, thats fine too, though id prefer one box over two.
I wanted an ultralight, too - but I went with an Edirol FA-101 to save a few hundred bucks and I couldn't be happier.
Plenty of ins/outs, midi, preamps are great, rock solid drivers on Vista 64 ( and built in drivers for Mac OSX! ). Super low latency, very quiet, solid construction.. totally surprised me, actually. The FA-66 is a smaller, less expensive alternative. My only complaint would be the inclusion of TOSLink instead of coax for digital in/out- but I got an M-Audio bi-directional converter, and all is well.

As an aside, you should consider setting aside $20 for another gig of RAM for that macbook - it can make a difference when running multiple channels in/out, even if you're using firewire.