4 hours in a studio!

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

4 hours in a studio!

Post by Electroluver » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:31 am

I spent 4 hours in a very nice studio. We had big Genelec monitors, Avalon compressors, etc.
So, I gave them my most recent track to be "studio," processed. All of this was done free of charge. :)

I like the compression on the kick, the bass also sounds cleaner and the gate effect on the snare is nice. However, the other tracks don't sound so great. In fact, they sound a lot worse than the original.
It has me thinking, is it worth it?

Obviously, I'm used to listening to the track the way it was, but isn't that important?

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: 4 hours in a studio!

Post by snsr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:41 am

Maybe your tracks' subtleties depend upon the ecosystem in which they were born (your setup.)

May also be that the guy/s running the studio didn't know what they were doing, or didn't take the time to hear and understand your tracks : )

Sounds like fun either way!

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.

Post by Electroluver » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:30 am

The studio guy just kept adding more and more compression. By the end of the session, it was a different song.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:24 am

maybe you have strange taste in music, I dont like heavily compressed stuff either, but most people want it.

maybe they were annoyed that you were getting it done without having to pay :lol:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:45 am

It's not about the gear. It's the people using it. You don't just walk in to a studio and expect to get better sound. You need a team of people that are in tune with your artistic vision.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:49 am

madtheory wrote:It's not about the gear. It's the people using it. You don't just walk in to a studio and expect to get better sound. You need a team of people that are in tune with your artistic vision.
Definately true.

I don't like the heavily compressed sound myself, it can remove a lot of the dynamics from the track, leaving it with a completely different feel to what you originally recorded.

I think the draw is that a studio has a lot of high end stuff you may not have yourself, but it all depends on how its used at the end of the day.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Electroluver » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:11 pm

The studio itself was perfect. It's just that I had to 2 people that wanted to be creative directors and change/add thing all over every track. In the end, the effects were overkill, the compression was heavy, and the levels misplaced. On the other hand, some of the compression on certain tracks were perfect and I have a different perspective of the song for the future.

liquidzen

Post by liquidzen » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:43 pm

having genelec and avalon means nothing and for what it's worth... genelec and avalon is kinda like what modern korg and yamaha synths are in the vintage synth world. there are so many better monitors and compressors out there for the same price that sound a h**l of a lot better.

plus it sounds like these jokers didn't even ask YOU what YOU wanted out of your track. that's pretty lame as well.
SCI Prophet 5, Roland SH5, MEMORYMOOG, Yammy CS30, OB Matrix1000 x 2, Korg MS10 x 2, Studio Elec SE1x, Roland Jupiter 6, Roland SYS 100M, LZX Monolith, Roland JUNO 6, SEQUENTIAL SIX TRAK

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:08 am

Electroluver wrote:The studio itself was perfect. It's just that I had to 2 people that wanted to be creative directors and change/add thing all over every track. In the end, the effects were overkill, the compression was heavy, and the levels misplaced. On the other hand, some of the compression on certain tracks were perfect and I have a different perspective of the song for the future.
Sounds like you figured out the important stuff without any of us :)

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:54 pm

madtheory wrote:
Electroluver wrote:The studio itself was perfect. It's just that I had to 2 people that wanted to be creative directors and change/add thing all over every track. In the end, the effects were overkill, the compression was heavy, and the levels misplaced. On the other hand, some of the compression on certain tracks were perfect and I have a different perspective of the song for the future.
Sounds like you figured out the important stuff without any of us :)
Absolutely! It seems the whole over-compression thing is rapidly becoming a sore point amongst many artists and listeners. I can see why those in the dance fraternity like it but I think it's now finding its way into mainstream pop and sometimes even orchestral recordings and "remasters" too which is a shame as madtheory is right - it's ruining the dynamic range and making everything sound far too loud.

I blame this partly on compressed digital audio and PCs - more and more boiler plate DSP mastering plugins are turning up on the market where people just mindlessly wash their mixes through and slap it on a master disk.

Louder does not always = better! Dynamics really make the difference - and nowhere are they put to better effect than in orchestral music and in the film industry.