Emagic AMT8 or Opcode 64XTC?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Emagic AMT8 or Opcode 64XTC?

Post by plikestechno » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:35 am

I'm a complete noob when it comes to old Macs but for whatever reason I convinced myself I had to try out one of those Oasys PCI cards. So I bought one. And knowing I'd need a MIDI interface to work with the old Mac I'd also just bought, I bought an Opcode 64 XTC on a whim because it was cheap and somebody had recommended the 128 but I didn't need that many channels.

BUT the other day I bought a Nord Modular G1. And the person I bought it from offered an AMT8 for $25. And I said sure. The more I read about it, I wonder if I should keep the AMT 8 instead of the Opcode. Has USB so I wouldn't have to buy a serial port for the G4 like I would for the Opcode.

But the Opcode seems the more professional machine. And it has an extra serial port on it. So could I use the serial port on the PCI card to connect to the Opcode and then connect the breakout cables for the PCI to the thru port on the Opcode and still have it work properly with the Oasys?
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Re: Emagic AMT8 or Opcode 64XTC?

Post by pangmaster » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:37 pm

An AMT8 for $25 is a great buy. They are solid MIDI interfaces and still very viable today as they work in 10.5 on Intel Macs, so you can use it with old and new software. Apple still delivers the driver for Unitor/AMT devices with Logic and GarageBand. Should work fine with Windows, too, though not sure about Vista/7.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: Emagic AMT8 or Opcode 64XTC?

Post by plikestechno » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Good to know. Maybe I'll use the AMT8 to interface with my new Mac (Pro Tools LE 6, Ableton Live Suite 8 ) and the Opcode to interface with my old Mac (Nord Modular G1, Oasys PCI, Cubase SE.)
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40