cc automation lanes within ableton?(hardware synths)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Fogflip
Gear: voyager, MOOG LP II, virus TI, Jupiter 6, Monome 256, 2006 fender American strat, thingamakit, casio sk1, motu ultralite mk3, cp-251.

cc automation lanes within ableton?(hardware synths)

Post by Fogflip » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:29 am

Hey guys i am trying to get some of my synths going in ableton but cant find a way to use cc in the automation lanes such as controlling filter cut off lfo etc etc. Any one know if this is possible or other ways around it. thank you.
Take it sleazy

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: cc automation lanes within ableton?(hardware synths)

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:49 am

I think I did it by recording the midi data into a track and then manipulating it in the clip, but I can't remember which version of Live that was with or whatever. I remember it was slightly trickier than doing stuff in Live usually is.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:28 pm

I have Live 7 and MIDI editing of CCs is not directly supported. You can draw notes and velocities but it's missing the ability to draw CCs like you can in other sequencers.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:36 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I have Live 7 and MIDI editing of CCs is not directly supported. You can draw notes and velocities but it's missing the ability to draw CCs like you can in other sequencers.
Not true actually; you click on the clip, hit the little 'E' for clip envelope in the bottom left hand corner and then you can select your CC from the dropdown box of midi controls (pitchbend is the default, but they're all there) and then draw the automation in the clip down the bottom. It only shows in the Clip down the bottom, not in the track on the screen though. This is in version 7, just got home from work and opened it up to remind myself how to do it...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:52 pm

people are complaining about this since ableton 3 or sth... it's not fixed in version 8. you can only draw the midi cc in the clip automations (as stab described), not in the automation lanes in the arrangement view. i f*"=cking hate it!

best way is to arrange the whole song, then go to the midi track that should send out midi cc, group all the single regions / loops to one big region, and then in the clip view you can see the track over the whole song and arrange the automations. it's very annoying, but possible....

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Live is not meant to be a studio DAW, it's designed for live performance (funnily enough)

And in live performance, clip envelopes kick a*s!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:58 pm

yes, the idea of clip envelopes is cool. also because it's relative to the parameter ur changing... but it just sucks that they didnt implement midi cc in the arrangement automation lanes! while ableton has been thought out to be a live tool mainly years ago, there are now a lot of people that use it as studio daw. for loop based music, it's awesome in the studio

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:19 pm

There was a big post about this on the Ableton forum from Robert Henke a few months back talking about the varius problems involved with this, that they'd like to do it but it involves some very 'tricky' stuff to do with the basic logic of how the program works.

Fogflip
Gear: voyager, MOOG LP II, virus TI, Jupiter 6, Monome 256, 2006 fender American strat, thingamakit, casio sk1, motu ultralite mk3, cp-251.

Post by Fogflip » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:49 am

Hmm this thread got me thinking maybe its time to move daws how does logic handle cc automation overall it seems significantly better for recording. One thing i like about live is the drum racks though. decisions decisions.
Take it sleazy

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:13 am

What exactly is it you want to do / can't do? Are you sure it can't be done in Ableton?

Do you want to draw or record the automation in?

You can have CC modulation envelopes in clips. And you can record CCs in arrange view. I think.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:15 am

you can record the ccs, but it will be in clip envelopes too. if you want to record the cc with the synth that actually is played by midi, your synth has to work in midi resolution (127 steps). e.g. the A6 has a much higher resolution, so recording midi automations with it results in chaos (cause the daw cant handle the high resolution)

it can all be done, but is a bit annoying

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:18 pm

Pflosi I just got, ableton and, I been getting to know it. I know I will for sure miss the midi sequencer from digital performer. Which is pretty easy and deep. But, I know you can draw, automation. But can you at least record your midi ccs into the ableton seq. Even thought you can edited. You know what I mean. I don`t know if I am been unclear. All I don is pretty read the manual and, make song project routing. I haven't record s**t. Yet.

But, I really like how fast I can get going in ableton. And the fact that is only two windows. Unlike dp there is like 6 different windows.

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:00 pm

you know something i don`t quite understand is how to synch ableton, but i am doing everything right suppostly. it work sometime and other doesn`t. so, i made the setting so, ableton synch with my hardware sequencer. i see the signal for clock in indication that is receiving usable clock in. so i select the external synth botton and hit play. make the correct setting in the machinedrum and hit play, and nothing happen.

i am trying to synth because when i am having external sequense from all 4 of my external synth. sometime it they all don`t run at the same time. but, only if i am using external sequencer. which i am doing everyday more and more.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:33 pm

In theory you should be able to do that I think but really you might have more success using Live as the master clock.

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:08 pm

you think, to tell you the trust i have not even recod a think yet. i been trying to learn real well how to route things which is pretty easy, and setting up the remote control that i have. and i have four sequencer which i want to use externally.

that is how i did it in digital performer, and i would think it have better midi clock timing than ableton. and when i am sequencing synth with digital performer i can feel my machinedrum and jomox xbase 999 getting out of synth. but if, i use the machinedrum or my korg m3, i won`t get those problem. so, i think i don`t want to even try just to find out the same thing happening again.

when sequencing, from withing DP no such problem. but if, i have the synth running there on sequencer, i would get that problen sometimes.