Small digital studios

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
rickyd

Small digital studios

Post by rickyd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:05 pm

To whom this may conern, I have a few questions......

* How many of you have had success with only a small digital studio? What I mean is like everything totally revolving around your software, except for needed hardware such as your monitors, headphones, mixing board, vocal tools, MIDI tools, and a few hardware synths (If needed).

* For those of you who have simple studios like this, do your clients initially take your studio seriously when they come in and see how small and simple it is? What type of reaction do you get from them?

* Based on your setup, how does your whole recording, mixing, and mastering procedures work? Explain why you are satisfied with the simplicity of your studio.

* Is your setup related to the genre of music that you do?

Currently, I'm the process of setting up a small digital studio myself. I want my overall workflow to be streamlined, especially considering the fact that I do everything myself, except for the vocals. I simply can't afford to go out and buy a bunch of hardware - Except for the basic essentials, so I'm trying to embrace this and and work with what I have :). So far I'm loving my results. Everything sounds so professional. I've seen on several sites where alot of analog and hardware purists bash studios like these, but I don't see the point really as it's the end result that matters. Anyway, I would like to hear some of your stories based on the questions I've asked, and more if you wish to include that.

Chas

Re: Small digital studios

Post by Chas » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Well, I have a relative who has been producing music for the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and solo artists for 25 years.

At the moment I know he only uses one keyboard, the Roland XP-30, and a rackmount Triton. He has in the past owned the classic Juno 106, DX-7 etc but with the condensing of technology i.e plugins, Cubase SX-3 is all he needs.... and he's had lots of success.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Yes software is definately the way to go for a budget studio, hardware only ads mojo and physical interface which most people seem to prefer, however you can do *a lot* with software these days, but it does take time to get things sounding right ie. professional. :wink:

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:18 pm

You probably get your clients after they've heard your productions. They shouldn't care how you create it, as long as you make your deadlines. And if they ask why a computer is all you need, then simply show 'em the facts. Compare your computer's RAM/streaming with a typical two meters worth o' rack samplers (which -combined- are still dwarfed by the PC). Compare your, dunno, 48 stereo mixing channels of the DAW with a desk o' 96 mono channels. Compare multi-gigabyte deicated instrument sample libraries with 4..8..16..32..64..256MB generic romplers. If anyone has doubts let them explain you why the hardware alternatives are better. If they yell: "it's bigger, so it must be better", then you may refer to those early room-occupying computers versus the processing power of your mobile phone. If they start about the value of the hardware alternative then you may remind him about the price of a 1GB harddisk in 1995 vs the price of a 1GB USB stick today.

A TV series I did early in the year was entirely organized without ever seeing anyone. I got my episodes via FTP and I'd send back my tracks via that same FTP. I mean, let's be practical, the age of snailmail and tapes has long gone.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:27 pm

In terms of clients... its the quality of your work that will dictate their interest in working with you, not the tools you use (though they might want to hear about that anyway)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:33 pm

I do voice work and only one of my clients has ever even seen my "studio" (as it were - a corner of the basement). He thought it was amazing (his word - NOT mine!) that I could do what I did with just a small mixer, a mic and my computer.

The only time I've ever heard any inquiry about the sound was when I switched mixers after I had recorded my part for a video and then the producer came back (this was almost SIX months, mind you!) and wanted me to drop in a couple of changes. It was just different enough that he could tell in the mix, so he did the EQ a bit different on his end.

Get a good demo and your clients will never care what you're using. The only ones who will care are the gearheads (like Joey said). If you're working in a collaboration, make sure you're both in the same boat as to what files you're swapping.

Good luck!

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:32 pm

I totally agree with all of these replies. It goes back to wat I said in my initial post, it's all about the end result that matters. Everything else is just a matter of preference.

h**l, my studio isn't even fully setup yet and I still get professional sound. All I have is my PC, the software DAW, the software drum machine, and the use of my PC's keyboard as a MIDI controller for playing my s**t live.