Syncing analog delay? Is it in anyway possible?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
analog_obesity

Syncing analog delay? Is it in anyway possible?

Post by analog_obesity » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Hey, I'm just about to purchase an AD100 Ibanez delay module. Can anybody think of a way that I'd be able to mod the delay so that I could sync it to other midi or dinsync devices?

Any help's greatly appreciated.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Syncing analog delay? Is it in anyway possible?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:24 pm

Nope, you need to use your ears. It's easy though, even the delays I use that do have midi sync I do by ear, it sounds better if you can tweak it so the delay is just slightly long so it adds a little reverbish tail than if it's right on the beat.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:08 pm

yes use your ear and the thing is you don't really want it to be perfectly synced anyways.

you could always hold your breath until moog adds midi to the moog delay... you know i hear h**l is freezing over prettttty soon.

nice score! I'm an analog delay freak, swear i have owned almost ever one
for sale/trade: EML-101

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:50 pm

you also get a diamond delay which has tap tempo but honestly they don't sound that great
for sale/trade: EML-101

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:33 am

nadafarms wrote:you could always hold your breath until moog adds midi to the moog delay... you know i hear h**l is freezing over prettttty soon.
Apparently they're working on adding code to the MP-201 that will allow you to plug one of the CV outs to the delay time CV of the 104 and sync it to midi. But that won't work on an AD100.

steampoweredsequencer
Gear: Two canes for walking, indestructible contact microphone, tetsuo implants, half broken nord lead, two weirdo guitars,

Post by steampoweredsequencer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:35 am

how do you sync the delay? by ear.
how do you sync the delay if you cannot sync by ear? you don't.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:05 pm

A MIDI to CV converter such as the Kenton Pro Solo, with some mods to create the right voltage, might do the trick. How are your electronics skills? You'd need schematic and service manual for Ibanez, to determine how the delay time is set.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:44 pm

madtheory wrote:A MIDI to CV converter such as the Kenton Pro Solo, with some mods to create the right voltage, might do the trick. How are your electronics skills? You'd need schematic and service manual for Ibanez, to determine how the delay time is set.
schematic

3101 BBD driver.

Good luck.

trevordutton
Gear: Polivoks, FR XS, MS20, MEK, Blue Lantern modular, DRM MK111, Waldorf Pulse, Mini and Microbrutes, Analog filters galore

Post by trevordutton » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Hey,
Plus one in agreeance that analog delay is the bee's knees for certain applications. I've got a 25 year old Ibanez AD202 with a bent and rusty faceplate, and it gets as much if not more usage than my sparkling new cutting-edge outboard Eventide, TC Electronics, and plugin delays!
You bet - the appeal of analog is that it's not perfectly synced. The resulting musical syncopation adds character and organic-ness. It's also got a darker, murky personality which sits nicely behind the dry track in a mix without interfering with it. What I love about it most though, is tweaking the knobs in realtime for 'playable' psychadelic mayhem!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:37 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
3101 BBD driver.

Good luck.
LOL. MIght look at that later. The MIDI CV would give you a pulse. The "mods" I referred to would have to translate that into whatever the Ibanez uses to set delay time. Could be that's just the resistance of the front panel pot plus internal trimmer. In which case, you'r out of luck! Unless you can program machine code maybe...