MIDI help, first time studio setup

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
rickyd

MIDI help, first time studio setup

Post by rickyd » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:13 pm

Hey,

Please bear with me as I am new to this. After a year of shopping around on this site looking for the perfect synth I want, I finally got one. I just won....well, purchased a used Yamaha Motif Rack on Ebay last night, and it was shipped out today.

Prior to this I only had soft synths (Korg Legacy Collection, FM8, Yamaha CS01 emulation), and I used my PC's keyboard to control them via Midi OX and the Virtual MIDI keyboard, which did the job. The question is that I was wondering if I could still use my PC's keyboard (via the setup I mentioned) to control the module when it comes, as long as I get an interface of course.

I don't have much money left over from my ebay purchase, so I have to get a cheap interface for now to use temporarily until I can save up enough cash to get better gear (I'm looking at this one: http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.c ... sku=701379).

Another thing I was wondering is how will I be able to record the audio that comes out of the module through my computer's sound card? It does have 1-in and 1-out.

Forgive me if these questions sound stupid, but as I said, I am new to this. This is my first hardware setup as far as synthesizers and MIDI go.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: MIDI help, first time studio setup

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:27 am

Have a read of this, it'll answer most of your questions and some you haven't even thought to ask yet.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

rickyd

Re: MIDI help, first time studio setup

Post by rickyd » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:51 am

Ok, thanks Stab Frenzy. That site helped me find a solution :D