How to create these sounds...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
moogerfooger321

How to create these sounds...

Post by moogerfooger321 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:43 am

I believe this is the correct place to post this. I've been messing around with this a bit and haven't figured out some of the sounds myself and also would like any input of what other people think might be happening in the link provided. I don't need the exact things that were used in making this, moreso what you think was used and how it has been processed to make it sound like it does. If it doesn't sound exactly like whats in the video, thats not a problem at all, just something similar is all i really need. Anyone have a good ear for this kind of stuff?

0e0
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Juno-106, JV-1080
Yamaha A4000, SU700, S80 (w/PLG150-VL), SY 77, SY 22
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Kawai K3m, K4
Zoom ST-224
Band: 0=0

Re: How to create these sounds...

Post by 0e0 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 pm

it's mostly granulated sounds.

traditionally hollywood sound designers use a highlevel programming system like Kyma to make those types of sounds (The Matrix for example)..but you can do similar things with open source software like PureData, CSound etc. Going that route is a bit difficult but you can get reasonable approximations with some more enduser level software. I would start with high quality samples (like all the glass hitting..metalic noises) and use resynthesis (found in Kontakt, Vertigo, etc etc) and also use softsamplers that can modify loop points with CC msgs, envelopes etc.

j

0=0

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:47 am

moogerfooger321 wrote:
that was awesome.

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:02 pm

0e0 wrote:it's mostly granulated sounds.

traditionally hollywood sound designers use a highlevel programming system like Kyma to make those types of sounds (The Matrix for example)
I'd say "yes", but...

Obviously people created these before, without those systems being available. The truth is with more invention and resourcefulness you can create it on a synthesizer like Matrix, operate waves with ring modulation, FM, and LFOs on amplifier or filter. Of the top of my head, take Jurassic Park: they took a bunch of animal samples (lions, bears, whales, etc.) and mangled them (ok, on a Synclav, but nowdays samplers have no less capability than a Synclav). The same with Star Wars.

MIDI_Thru_Kid
Gear: KORG Radias
Roland JX-3P
Roland TR-505
Roland TR-626
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha TX7
hobnox.com
Drum Samples (All of them)
Yamaha Trombone
Band: MIDI Thru

Post by MIDI_Thru_Kid » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:12 am

I LOVED those granulated sounds from that movie!! The sound effects were EASILY my most favorite part. I always thought they made them with like a DX7 patch, a KP3, Kaosillator, and a Flanger. hahahaha But seriously, these are BADASS sounds.
-Alex

"What I've noticed about this hobby/career is... You Just Can't Stop."