The sound of a damaged tape

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

The sound of a damaged tape

Post by Scories » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Hello. I never had the opportunity to play with a tape echo. But I'm wondering if you set its mixer to wet, with no feedback and a slightly damaged tape, can you get a wobbly/noisy/warm tape sound with random dropouts?

Otherwise, is there an other way to get the sound of a damaged tape IN REAL TIME (without having to do it in post-production)? Do you have a specific model to recommend?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: The sound of a damaged tape

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Sheesh I though we went digital to get away from that stuff #-o

Find a used cassette or open reel deck with three heads. This lets you monitor the sound right after it's recorded (very short delay). Then use a worn tape...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Scories

Post by Scories » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Of course, that was so obvious! Retro all the way! :)

Unfortunately, I think my Tascam 424 can't do this. I guess I'll have to scane google, craiglist, ebay, kijiji... for a good model. Any suggestion??

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:07 pm

You can get a warm and wobbly tape sound with any old BBD type delay that has an LFO. Yammy 1005/1010 can do this perfectly.

Also, Mid-Fi Clari(not) can do similar mess as it gets saturated and has a f**k up delay circuit.

Alesis Ineko/Akira, Boss Vf-1, and others have various 's**t' effects for adding tape/record/radio noise.

Also, just stick pencils/paper clips/other what not on the tape while it is rolling. You can pull it out, scratch it, and whatever else while you are recording with a different tape. All you need is an old walkman that will play while the tape is exposed and a your 424. Just don't get too crazy or the tape will get too f**k.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:10 am

I don't think you'll quite get a tape sound out of a analog delay, though it will sound warm and nice.

but if you want tape sound there is no substitute because your using tape because you want a subtle effect right? so subtleties are important right???? get a real tape machine I mean people are practically giving them away especially funky ones on craigslist!

just record in real time with a funky tape then dump/play it back to the computer and just drag so the beat lines up 8)
for sale/trade: EML-101

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:43 am

I saw something on Synthtopia that might be able to do this, except the website won't f**k load for me right now so no link. It's supposed to recreate an original Musique concrete studio.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:39 pm

The Eventide Timefactor lets you control the wow, flutter and hiss on its tape echo model, turn them up and it sounds like old tape, with the advantage that you can decide exactly how old you want it to sound.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:49 am

^^^you've had the time factor for a little while now, stab--how you liking it so far? using it a lot? and, if so, how? (if you don't mind me asking...) thanks for any info you can provide...e

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:58 am

code green wrote:^^^you've had the time factor for a little while now, stab--how you liking it so far? using it a lot? and, if so, how? (if you don't mind me asking...) thanks for any info you can provide...e
I freakin love it still. I use it on everything, it's all over our album, the MEK goes through it live, the other synths go through it in the studio. I could get rid of every single delay effect I have except the Timefactor and the E1010 and I'd still be happy. The only problem with it is that it's making me want an H7600 and there's no way I can afford one at the moment.

It's the most three dimensional, textured, lush sounding delay I've ever used. You can run anything through it and it comes out sounding better.

Scories

Post by Scories » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Now that's interesting. So it's a pedal, right? Can you input sound in stereo? Can you get a damaged-tape type of sound without using the delay? Seems like a good option!

I'll check out how does it sound with the MEK on your site.
Last edited by Scories on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Yeah it's stereo. You won't be able to get a 'damaged tape sound' live without a delay from anything, even with a tape machine there'll be a delay as the tape moves from the record head to the playback head.

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 am

Yeah, that's right, there's always a delay.

So if I want to get the sound of a damaged tape with the TimeFactor, I have to use it 100% wet, with no feedback and use the statik/Wow&flutter features [and offset all the rest of the instrumentation if needed].
No, that could be swell! :)

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:56 am

Yep, that's it. I'd try it out first if I were you to make sure you can get the exact sound you want, but it can get pretty wonky. It doesn't sound as bad as the old answering machine tapes my housemate found on the side of the road that we play back through a dictaphone though.

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:07 am

Good, one last question; do you get a 'I-know-this-comes-from-a-TimefFactor' type of statik sound or do you really can get unexpected noises and variations?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:28 am

To tell you the truth I don't sit there listening to the sound of the hiss, I'm paying more attention to what I'm running through it. I think the Wow is a set modulation shape cause when I turn the feedback up all the way and turn the delay time down as low as possible I get a fairly regular siren kind of sound, but if you had unevenly worn rollers on a real tape machine you'd get a similar thing.

I've never thought anything I've run through it 'sounds like a Timefactor', it's very versatile and can do a whole heap of sounds. I think you might have to really try it out to see if it's for you.