Bass cabs

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Reverend Sunrise
Gear: Minimoog Pro One
CS-5 Solina
AX-80 Jx-8p (PG800)
Juno 6 Six Trak
Electro 3 Wurly 200/120
MPC2000xl RE-201
Band: Goldenrod

Bass cabs

Post by Reverend Sunrise » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:05 pm

What's happening everybody. As of now I'm running my keys (Pro One, AX-80, Minimoog) and Electro 3 through a 1x15 Ampeg B200r. No surprise, s**t ain't cutting it all in terms of representing bass potential of my synths, though the tone is decent for the Electro with tube treatment. Just wondering, and I'm fairly ignorant on the subject hence the questions to you good folks, what might be the "ideal" configuration for a bass cabinet to cover the frequency spectrum of my aforementioned rig? I've looked at the SWR Triad (1x15, 1x10, horn) and some 2x15, 4x10, and 4x12 cabs. I know 15's bring a little more subterranean heat than a 12", but with 2x15's would there be a significant loss of midrange and high action? In asssuming that there would be more mid/high love with 4x10's/4x12's, would the "bass handling" be adequate for some serious f**k' low end sizzle on these type of cabs? Kinda looking for an all-arounder cab, and in my experience that is sometimes difficult with gear, but thought I'd ask. Appreciate any thoughts or other insights into the sonic universe. Peace.

gtivr6fan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Fifth
Band: Hotboxer, Supremotron

Re: Bass cabs

Post by gtivr6fan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Yo, I guess it all depends on the size of the room you are playing, but for what its worth... Is the Ampeg a closed back cabinet? If not, maybe you should add an extension cabinet that is. I have a Kustom with an eminence in a closed back configuration, it booms, its not a particularly powerful combo amp, and is a 12", but the design allows it to go low.

This is from the Ampeg website:
"Ampeg is the standard by which others are judged. I began using SVT's in the very early 70's. The 8x10 SVT cabinet is the best all around bass cabinet made. Ampeg is steeped on the tradition in being the top-of-the-line pro amplifier above and beyond all other brands. It delivers what it promises."-Billy Sheehan

He said it, not me!

Reverend Sunrise
Gear: Minimoog Pro One
CS-5 Solina
AX-80 Jx-8p (PG800)
Juno 6 Six Trak
Electro 3 Wurly 200/120
MPC2000xl RE-201
Band: Goldenrod

Post by Reverend Sunrise » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks for the response man.Yeah, the Ampeg B200r has an open back and double ports. Boys in my band are always bitching about sound bleeding out the back of it, and it sounds like I'm losing oomph because of it, huh? Doesn't seem like the diamond series can really hang so much with the SVT line in my experience, but Ampeg is class s**t regardless of what I say. Thinking about tempting my fate with some SWR after my mental-gear m*******n internet travels of the day. Triad cab looks pretty sweet with a 1x15, 1x10, and tweeter, and Workingpro 400 head has nice features and f**k good horsepower. Anybody ever used SWR s**t?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:25 pm

A bass guitar amp by itself can't generate the huge low-sub sound of a big PA. Trust me, bass is my main instrument and I own some SWR gear.

Pro-quality bass cabs usually roll off below 80 Hz (that's the open E note of a guitar) since most of the tone of a bass guitar is in the upper harmonics anyway. Removing the lowest fundamentals (open E on a bass guitar is about 40 Hz, the open B is about 28 Hz) gets rid of muddy room resonances at high volumes.

While bigger than a B200R a full range PA cab plus subwoofer would probably make you much happier. Also higher wattage...low notes need a lot of clean power. 1000W+ power amps can be bought under $500 these days.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Def stick with ampeg get a Closed back 4x10 cab so you get the punch and mids etc. and then a 1X15 to accompany it so you also get the low end as well.

I share a storage unit with another band and their bass player uses a 2X15 ampeg cab and i personally think that two 15's are way to much on the low.