Glitch Effects Hardware?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Glitch Effects Hardware?

Post by mome rath » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:56 pm

tallowwaters wrote:The WTPA sampler should be able to do buffer f**k too.

but it makes everything sound like robot diarrhea
god elton can't you suck

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:37 pm

?

Gotharman also makes a realtime time stretcher that could do grain shifting, but at quite a price...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

aeon

Post by aeon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:21 pm

It's not really cost-effective if you are only going to use it for this (glitch) purpose, but a modular-level Eventide with sampling engine, e.g., DSP7500, Orville, H7600, and/or H8000-series, would work very well for this (among other things) since you would be able to program the glitch effects you wanted, with the control and timbral shaping you desired.

All manner of stutters, slicing, drops, reverses, buffer overruns, reorders, reclocks, DC-transients, aliasing, quantizing, bit meddling, and so on can be achieved.

cheers,
Ian

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:00 am

aeon wrote:It's not really cost-effective if you are only going to use it for this (glitch) purpose, but a modular-level Eventide with sampling engine, e.g., DSP7500, Orville, H7600, and/or H8000-series, would work very well for this (among other things) since you would be able to program the glitch effects you wanted, with the control and timbral shaping you desired.

All manner of stutters, slicing, drops, reverses, buffer overruns, reorders, reclocks, DC-transients, aliasing, quantizing, bit meddling, and so on can be achieved.

cheers,
Ian
The Eventides are definitely awesome (the h8000 is on my wish list for my little home setup) but if you have that much cash to spend and wanted to spend it for glitchery, you'd probably be better off going with a Kyma system or modular or something like that instead, no?

Though ideally you should get the Eventide AND the modular AND the kyma system and be in sound design heaven! :)
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:14 am

[quote="KLAXON" (edited)]The Eventides are definitely awesome but if you have that much cash to spend and wanted to spend it for glitchery, you'd probably be better off going with a Kyma system or modular or something like that instead, no?[/quote]

An Eventide of the ones I mentioned (and a couple I didn't) are fully modular - you can create your own algorithms from scratch. Other than writing your own plug-in that would run on a CPU, I can't imagine an equivalent environment within which to realize an effects processing idea.

A Kyma system would also work, I am sure, but given the feedback I have received from other users, the learning curve is much more steep, and the time-to-implement would likely be longer.

cheers,
Ian

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Post by Electroluver » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:38 am

http://www.frostwave.com/sonicalienator/

A fairly good bit crushing .

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Nobody is talking about bitcrushing, we are talking about buffer f**k.

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:14 am

tallowwaters wrote:?

bit reduction
god elton can't you suck

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:31 am

mome rath wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:?

bit reduction
tallowwaters wrote:Nobody is talking about bitcrushing, we are talking about buffer f**k.
s**t, we just created our own buffer f**k.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 am

I'm going to blunder into this thread like a buffoon and shout "DBLUE GLITCH VST" with the full understanding you want to talk about expensive hardware and I'm talking about free software. This will probably silence the room and everyone will stare until I back out ungracefully, so, cya...

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:10 am

The problem with Glitch is it's hard to make it sound like you didn't just run everything through it. Especially that tapestop effect. Subtle use + automation is best. I've been experimenting with doing live buffer f**k/glitchy s**t with effectrix/buffer override/dblue stretch (didn't know until yesterday that he made a standalone of this effect...so awesome) and controlling it with a touchpad I took off an old laptop and touchpad2midi. Works great so far...like a mini Kaoss Pad but for 20$ and can be used with any effect. It's cured my taste for hardware stuff that does the same. Now to build 3 more and have a 4 touchpad array. Live control over all 4 X/Y pads in zebra? h**l yeah.

k5k
Gear: SH101, Pulse, Poly800, CZ5000, ESI-32, ADX1, DR110, DR5
Band: K5K

Post by k5k » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:09 am

DBLUE GLITCH VST with a midi fader controller is great fun too.....
aklass.com
godrekidz.co.nz
k5k.aklass.org
breakcoreisland.com

cprescott08

Post by cprescott08 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:47 am

tallowwaters wrote:?Gotharman also makes a realtime time stretcher that could do grain shifting, but at quite a price...
That Gotharman stuff is Very impressive! Looks as though I will have to begin saving up for the deFormer..
@ Over $2000 it should only take about a year or so :shock: the $300 teaspoon is looking Really Good!
Last edited by cprescott08 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:06 pm

I have one very simple (and cheap) trick: Just use an Alesis Nanoverb or Nanocompressor without the power supply. By changing the input volume you'll get a variety of damaged sound. Different than usual aliasing. Good for beats. Might work with some other sound processors, I don't know...

PS. I can sell you a Nanoverb (I'll keep the Nanocompressor), if interested, just get in touch.
Last edited by Scories on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:26 am

korg products have a grainshifter effect thats really cool. the kaoss pad in particular is perfect for it.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]