good overdrive, distorsion for a moog voyager

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
druzz
Band: November's Ego

good overdrive, distorsion for a moog voyager

Post by druzz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:02 pm

just had my voyager RME and would like to experiment with the pre-filter insert point. most of the overdrive stuff i have is guitar gear . i am afraid it will make me loose some low -end . on the other hand it sould be great for leads and mid-range stuff.
i dont know were to start. i have lots of overdrives:

boss: super OD
distortion and feedbacker
metalzone
danelectro : fab tone
EHX : big muff
DOD : death metal

then i have a REXX transistor guitar preamp
and a fender hot rod deluxe tube amp from wich i can use just the preamp.

anyway i will start to experiment and see what happens .

does any body has suggestions about how to use the pre-filter insert point .
i guess something that creates new harmonics can give interesting results when you filter it afterwards.

i migth try it with the DANELECTRO "sitar swami". it is supposed to be a sitar simulator for guitar. i wanted to sell it cause it's just too much . sounds like flanger + phaser + harmonics over wich you have almost no control.

edit : i started experimenting with the rexx guitar preamp. i like the sound but i am wondering :
is it safe for my voyager to crank up the juice in between the oscillators and the filter??????

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Re: good overdrive, distorsion for a moog voyager

Post by nvbrkr » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:07 pm

Those are pretty harsh sounding units - and they're pretty much all high-gain designs. I've tried just about everything from tube compressors to amp simulators there (also many of those you've listed yourself). Out of those your best shot really is the preamp I'd say, just make sure you're not driving the input back too loud on the RME. If you're looking for more of a vintage synth tone in overall - perhaps you have the older Moogs in mind - then basically what you need to insert there is some older unit with a preamp stage and overdrive it only rather subtly (don't bother overdriving the filter itself too much with the ouput though, it won't sound that great). Older gear just distorts in a different way and you'll get instantly closer to that type of tone, period. I myself tend to keep my Deltalab Harmonicomputer DL-5 harmonizer (1980) there and just overdrive the input stage on that and also use its additional lfo. Putting my Dynacord tape delay there may sound even nicer sometimes, but I usually need it for other things. EQ options won't hurt either.

Most distortion pedals will nevertheless give you something of a tinny, compromised sound. However, I wouldn't worry about losing the bass at least for recordins as the Voyager has perhaps maybe even too much definition in that regard. Besides, you can sort of make up for it by rolling off some of the highs with the filter amount or cutoff knobs.

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:23 pm

I've used most of those units in a guitar setup and yeah, harsh city. Pinched EQs, hard clipping, buzzboxes. The one I'd probaby try out first is the Big Muff, but only with the Sustain turned way down low to start out with. Might give a nice, smooth fuzztone that would fit the Voyager well. Next, I dunno? Just try stuff, but keep the dirt level low to start out.

Also! Work your way up on the volume pots from a pretty low level or else you might fry your monitors...just sayin'. These units are meant to handle a mid-rangey guitar signal, not a full range synthesizer. You never know what might come out of those fuzz pedals in terms of gain boost at the far side of 12:00, so BE CAREFUL.

The sitar swami is best forgotten. Ug-ly effect. Blargh.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:29 pm

proco rat...

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:37 pm

Don't know from a synth standpoint, but I've come to really like my
rocktron silver dragon tube distortion. It has a tube side and a solid state side basically you combine to get warmth and a little digital grit from SS side if you want it. Has dedicated hi/lo , is very bassy on guitar.
I can get a nice fuzzy crunch up to a pretty nasty hi gain metal sound.

I also like the danelectro daddy-o distortion

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:05 pm

I've tried a couple of Boss units - an SD-1 and DS-1 - and found neither of them useful for sytnhs, as the tone controls are very frequency-selective. Better, I think, to find something with a fairly neutral or comprehensive band of frequencies and use your own EQ after it. I've read some like using the Boss GE-7 EQ pedal (or 7B, but you mighe be limited with the GEB-7 as it has different frequencies) as an overdrive, as it has 15dB of gain on each frequency and 15dB of gain on a separate level control too. I have an old Yamaha DI-01 which is a nice distortion, and can be quite soft or pretty harsh.

I've also used the EHX Big Muff Pi, and it's good - but perhaps best kept down a little. The Biyang OTD-100 Pro tube overdrive is decent for a good price, and the tube runs at high voltage too. I recorded a comparison between these two the other day if you want to hear it.

I've also built some pedals - an MXR Dist+ clone, and a variant fuzz I call The Fizzog - which are both pretty nice on synths. So perhaps a fuzz would be something to try. Goldfrapp used a Univox on Black Cherry I think (or was it Supernature..?)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:07 am

Rat, Big Muff, Hotcake are my picks for synth overdrive. Also driving the preamp on my tube channel strip (high voltage tubes, not cheap fizz) works a treat.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:19 am

What about just connecting the headphone output to the input?

With the right settings, it can lead so some very cool sounds.

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:34 am

CapnMarvel wrote:
The sitar swami is best forgotten. Ug-ly effect. Blargh.
youre right i just tiyed it after a long time and i dont want to ear it ever again
blavatsky wrote:I also like the danelectro daddy-o distortion
you made me remember that i have one . a friend guitarist as it . but i lost his number :(

--------

BIG muff !! i was about to sell it . i dont know why i figured it would not be good (maybe cause it didnt work well with my guitar back in the days). i will cancel the sell until i get the chance to experiment with it

FUZZ !! i have a vintage morley wah - fuzz . the one that looks like a big shiny toaster. but it needs to be fixed . now i have one more good reason to fix it .

------------

i am pleased with the results i get with my REXX guitar preamp. and since it is a rack mount unit it fits perfectly with the RME.

i wish my fender hot rod deluxe tube amp was working properly . i would love to try its pre-amp wity hthe voyager.
seems i have to do a little visit to my tech

thaks for your ideas

nvbrkr

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 pm

b3groover wrote:What about just connecting the headphone output to the input?

With the right settings, it can lead so some very cool sounds.
Well, the voltage range does not match. So if you crank it up, I guess you could be even potentially damaging the unit (preferably use the second stereo out instead). The Voyager hardly works like a Minimoog soundwise in that regard either, as the filter input clips in a pretty nasty way once you overdrive it too much. The additional phasing can be interesting, though.

Mind you, tubes don't always work too well for such applications, even if they'd sound like an attractive idea. You'll often lose a lot of the detail that the oscillator section produces, so once you crank up the gain you'll be outputting mostly just mush into the filter section. I guess that's one of the reasons too why none of the older synths had any tubes in them, even if it was commonplace to still stick them to just about every amp section in the past decades.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:36 pm

nvbrkr wrote:the filter input clips in a pretty nasty way once you overdrive it too much.
Apparently you've never run a TR606 through the Voyager's filter input, using the 1 pole slope, then. 8-)

I've had some pretty good results, actually, just driving the filter-input, with no need to use the headphone out, but the trick is using the Mix-Insert jack to EQ the oscillator mix first, usually to boost highs or kill bass. I send the left output back to the audio in and tune its cutoff with spacing. Combine that with the EQ in the mix-insert, and you can get overdriven-type sounds with the Voyager without any distortion pedals.

Now if it's that MS20 grunge that you're after, then something like an Elextrix Filter Factory or Sherman Filterbank might be a better choice. You can also send the Headphone output, or one of the two main outputs, to the Cutoff CV input, to get a really nasty grunge, just like on the MS20.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:57 pm

i haven't run a synth through mine yet, but i'd suggest the EHX hot tubes. bass & treble controls on it will keep you from losing low end, & it's an awesome spectrum from just a little crunch to serious, cranked distortion.

nvbrkr

Post by nvbrkr » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:00 pm

Solderman wrote: Apparently you've never run a TR606 through the Voyager's filter input, using the 1 pole slope, then. 8-)
Can't say I have. Yeah, setting the filler 1/2 -pole mode sounds great sometimes, I wish there was a physical switch for it though.

Oh yeah, and...
megamanx wrote:proco rat...
No way, in f....ing h**l. :lol:

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:38 pm

Run a fulltone OCD into a mixer's efx loop and run the
Voyager into a channel. Control the amount of grit from the Aux level. No loss of low end and just the right amount of edge. Since the original signal is still passing you don't suffer the ill
effect of running the Voyager straight into the pedal. Think of it as a
parrallel effect as opposed to series. It's one reason the Barber Tone Press is my favorite compressor pedal.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S