Vintage-sounding effect suggestions please!

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Vintage-sounding effect suggestions please!

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Jordan15 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys,
after doing a bit of thinking, I guess I'll be starting off with a delay as it's a pretty staple effect which I'd like to improve first.

@clusterchord, what does BBD mean for an analog delay?...
I'm not Clusterchord either, but BBD stands for "Bucket Brigade Device", which is an early electronics design technique used mainly in delays, refer to the link below for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket-brigade_device

Also, there's a very good reason why RE-201's go for the price they do, they are absolutely phenomenal devices and very musical but they do require quite regular maintenance and can be expensive.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:07 am

Yet more advice... the space echo may be the REAL THING - but its prohibitively expensive where I live - whereas there's some nice boss 80s effect mini racks floating around cheap. I'v got the spring reverb and its good. With distortion pedals there's a ton of cheap copies. I'v got the biyang boutique 'mouse' - a rat clone (gotta love the Chinese sense of humour!) and there's local guys making nice boxes which are good enough and you're not paying for the brand name. Synth-heads don't have to be precious about names like guitarists do.

If you live in a big city there should be a guitar shop to check stuff out. Watch out though - the world of effect boxes is a much bigger GAS giant than synths. Don't visit analogue haven and drool over stuff like I do.

That said there's a whole gorgeous area of music - electro acoustic - where you can mic something up (thumb piano is my choice) and run it through an evil effects box. Dwarfcraft's 'the great destroyer' does the job. :)
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:59 pm

Jordan15 wrote:what does BBD mean for an analog delay?
Hiss and loss of highs mainly ;)

Each repeat is more degraded than the last. Digital delays don't do that, which is why people started using them instead once they became available.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:17 am

The hiss is still bearable compared to the clock noise that many older units have. I certainly like how it sounds myself - and it has its place on more lofi / experimental / industrial -type of productions, but if I'll ever get the call to produce the next Rihanna record I doubt I'll be bringing my old Pearl or Ibanez stuff with me. The loss of highs is actually mainly caused by the lowpass filtering applied to the signal in an attempt to tame down the clock noise. In fact, some units apply it to the incoming as well as the outputted signal.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:12 pm

To the OP:

Try using the Filter Delay in Live. It has filters you can use to roll off highs and since the filters are in the feedback loop, you can get that sound where each repeat has less highs than the last.

The supplied plugins sound pretty good (plus you already paid for them!), you just need to be clever about how to use them to get the sounds you're after.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:09 pm

JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:55 am

Sorry to BUMP this thread but I didnt want to start a new one just for one question...

I'm trying to get more into effects, and especially stompboxes. I bought a Ibanez BC9 Bi-Chorus yesterday and it sounds just beautiful on my synths, especially in combination with my RE 201. So I'm looking for some more effects to fool around with :)

Next thing I'd like is a phaser. The guy that sold me the Ibanez BC9 has these two for sale:

- Ibanez PT9
- DOD FX20 Phasor

I think there are reissues of those, but he has the vintage ones...

Out of those two, what would you guys prefer and why? Has anybody got some experience in using these with synths? I'm mainly looking for sloooooooow phasing for synth strings / pads and the like, and moderate phasing for hihats... It doesnt have to sound exactly like JMJ or sth, but it must have a vintage vibe to it.

Any inputs are appreciated!

cheers

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:32 am

pflosi wrote:- Ibanez PT9
- DOD FX20 Phasor

I think there are reissues of those, but he has the vintage ones...

Out of those two, what would you guys prefer and why? Has anybody got some experience in using these with synths? I'm mainly looking for sloooooooow phasing for synth strings / pads and the like, and moderate phasing for hihats... It doesnt have to sound exactly like JMJ or sth, but it must have a vintage vibe to it.

cheers
I haven't used either of those two sorry, but my bandmate has a Russian Small Stone and it sounds fantastic. It's a really nice vintage phaser sound and plays well with synth levels. Don't know what the US made ones or the newer ones sound like, but the old Russian ones sound great! :thumbleft:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:36 pm

thanks for the reply stab!

yeah the small stones enjoy good reputation, also the new and USA models... I'll keep my eyes open!

Anyone used one of the two mentioned pedals (Ibanez PT9 / DOD FX20 Phasor)?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:44 pm

I've used the FX20 and couldn't tell the difference from it's updated version (ala, nothing special). There are much nicer phasers out there, and I would personally choose one of the more modern boutique manufacturers. Check out www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/biglist.htm.

Those old Ibanez chorus pedals are the bee's knees, and they made quite a few. Check out http://chrisguitars.com/ for some good deals.

BYOC would likely be a good source of more vintage (without going vintage) tones as well.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Tchammosaur

Post by Tchammosaur » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 pm

If you want quality delay that'll give you something that software won't, try the MXR Carbon Copy, it's really great.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:56 pm

thanks for the inputs guys!

yeah the BYOC stuff looks nice. I think they discontinued their phaser though, and it was a phase90 clone afaik... so I could also get that new ;) I think I'll show some more patience for some vintage fx to pop up locally before I'll go the DIY route...

For delays I have the RE 201 ATM and I'm waiting for the EHX deluxe memory boy to be available in "my" store...

so tallow, if you say the DOD vintage one is no more special than the modern reissue, I guess there's not much to win with that one... I also kind of tended to go the Ibanez route again with the phaser (if I buy from the same guy again, that is...), since the chorus is just so astonishing beautiful.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how I decide. In the meantime, any more inputs are appreciated!

cheers

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 am

I am a big fan of the MXR Carbon Copy delay and Stereo Chorus pedals. The delay is all analog, and I believe the chorus pedal is as well.
I also would suggest space echos. You might have fun picking up some dirt cheap danelectro pedals to play with.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 am

pflosi wrote: Next thing I'd like is a phaser. The guy that sold me the Ibanez BC9 has these two for sale:

- Ibanez PT9
- DOD FX20 Phasor

cheers
DOD seemed to have some nice effects back in the day. I used to have a Phase 90 and wasn't all that impressed. I've heard a lot of good things about the EHX electric mistresses. You may want to look into that instead of these two. I always question companies like Ibanez that makes everything... but, maybe that's just my skeptic paranoia.

Apologies for the successive post, I didn't see the dates between questions =0

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:14 am

Jordan15 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys,
after doing a bit of thinking, I guess I'll be starting off with a delay as it's a pretty staple effect which I'd like to improve first.

@clusterchord, what does BBD mean for an analog delay?
BBD is a "bucket Brigade Device"

I use a EHX Deluxe Mem Man and also a tape loop very much the same as a space echo. Evans Super Echo SE-810 which also has a spring reverb built in. Sounds superb!