Headphones or amp

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
veer chasm

Headphones or amp

Post by veer chasm » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:52 am

So tell us what you prefer: your synth played through headphones or an amp and why.

I enjoy both but there is nothing like taking my Moog LP and blasting the low end out of my Peavey amp's 15 inch speaker. I prefer to program sounds with headphones, I can tolerate it longer with less ear fatigue. The only problem is I have to alter the sound for live purposes so I A/B it through an amp intermittently.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Headphones or amp

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:56 am

Through a PA. Played two shows on the weekend, one was through a 28,000 watt system, sounded pretty good. :)

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:28 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Through a PA. Played two shows on the weekend, one was through a 28,000 watt system, sounded pretty good. :)
Nice.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:30 am

i mainly use studio monitors but i am starting a synth-rock band so i migth start to experiment with guitar and bass amps to color the sounds . i hate headphones . only use them out of necessity . i find headphones to cause more ear fatigue than anything else , and not just from the sound .

in a live situation headphones are a plus , specifically if you like to tweak your sound a lot . because of them you can adjust your synth without anybody hearing the "trying to get there sounds".

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:33 am

i've got a bass stack on the way (2x10/1x15) and i'm looking forward to running some huge synth bass through it!

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:48 am

tekkentool wrote:i've got a bass stack on the way (2x10/1x15) and i'm looking forward to running some huge synth bass through it!
When my bass player leaves his Fender 2x10 300 watt combo it kills with my synth running through. Lovely sound.

I also didn't realize the power of the Moog bass sound til I ran my LP through an amp. Headphones do it no justice.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 am

veer chasm wrote:
tekkentool wrote:i've got a bass stack on the way (2x10/1x15) and i'm looking forward to running some huge synth bass through it!
When my bass player leaves his Fender 2x10 300 watt combo it kills with my synth running through. Lovely sound.

I also didn't realize the power of the Moog bass sound til I ran my LP through an amp. Headphones do it no justice.
Awesome :)

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 am

druzz wrote:i mainly use studio monitors but i am starting a synth-rock band so i migth start to experiment with guitar and bass amps to color the sounds . i hate headphones . only use them out of necessity . i find headphones to cause more ear fatigue than anything else , and not just from the sound .
I feel the exact same way and monitor my gear the same way.

I've not tried an amp but I'm sure there is a lot to be had through the combination of synth/amp/mic when the right gear is used.

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:20 pm

One of the nice things about "amping" is you can take a synth with a relatively weak/noisy output or use a sound that may have too much presence in a mix when used direct and it will just "sit better". I used to accomplish the seating issue with reverb but as I get older and weirder I find reverb less useful. I like to experiment with mic positions and direct combinations in tandem with running the synth through an amp. More recently, I used my guitar amp ( a Fender Concert Reverb ) at half power to record my Juno 106 with some success.